2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

6 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I agree that getting  a good veteran WR is difficult, with what the Packers spent to get P.Smith, Z.Smith, Amos and Turner. Maybe not impossible, but difficult with the contracts coming up.

Taken in isolation, I like the idea of a vet WR since they can be up and running in year one, but in the circumstances the Packers find themselves it's difficult.

It might be easier (and cheaper) to get a vet TE. The draft is bad for TE this year, especially if you want one who can block. Of the veteran TE FAs after the 2019 season,  it seems we have Vance MacDonald (Steelers, age 30 now), Eric Ebron and Jack Doyle (both Indy) ages 27 and 30. There is Tyler Eifert (Cincy), age 29, and Garrett Celek (SanFran) age 32. I'd ignore guys like Vernon Davis and Jason witten (who are past it at 36 and 38). A vet TE could bridge the gap of the youth already with the Packers (Sternberger and Tonyan) and tide them over until the 2021 or 2022 draft. Hunter Henry is another possibility, he is only 25 and I have no idea how he has been playing for the Chargers.

If the Packers DO go for a WR it should be in the first three rounds, with round two probably being the sweet spot (may need a trade to higher spot in that round for the best value). The Pack do not need a 4th/5th/6th receiver, they need a no.2 or a starter in the slot, which is why the pick needs to be high. If the Packers could get value by going OT, WR, ILB (which appears possible, on a too-early look at the draft) they would be filling up the teams depth nicely.

I can't go TE until we see Sternberger who I hope is someone who comes back this year yet. He looks very athletic running his routes. I think he can be a difference maker, maybe not this year but in year 2. 

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

I can't go TE until we see Sternberger who I hope is someone who comes back this year yet. He looks very athletic running his routes. I think he can be a difference maker, maybe not this year but in year 2. 

He (Sternberger) is silky smooth for his size, but from what we know at this time, neither he or Tonyan are going to provide much as blockers.

On 10/16/2019 at 8:20 AM, Golfman said:

I don’t think you can say we can’t go TE in fa. Tonyan and Jace have a combined 8 career catches. I like their upside, but I’d definitely be interested in hedging our bet for next year (assuming Grahm and Lewis are gone). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

I don’t think you can say we can’t go TE in fa. Tonyan and Jace have a combined 8 career catches. I like their upside, but I’d definitely be interested in hedging our bet for next year (assuming Grahm and Lewis are gone). 

Agreed. Anyone else remember Chewy and Keith Jackson together with Tyrone Davis as a supplement? How'd that all work out?

On 10/16/2019 at 8:20 AM, Golfman said:

Sternberger isn't going to change anyone's plans with regard to the TE position.  If he is activated and he doesn't play a meaningful snap for the Packers, is that really going to change anything?  No.

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Sternberger isn't going to change anyone's plans with regard to the TE position.  If he is activated and he doesn't play a meaningful snap for the Packers, is that really going to change anything?  No.

Yes! The same way Burks changed plans at ILB this year. They drafted the kid in the 3rd round and there is no reason to believe he won't develop. I mean are you kidding me! Shock a 3rd rounder who doesn't immediately produce in year one. Especially given the brutal cheap shot he took in TC. 

You can see the ease with which he runs routes. We don't have that on this team at the moment at TE. 

What do we think of this mock?

1. Raekwon Davis, DL, 'Bama

2. Yasir Durant, OT, Mizzou

3. Bryce Hopkins, TE, Vandy

4. KJ Hamler, WR, Penn St.

5. KJ Britt, ILB, Auburn

6A. Cole Kmet, TE, Notre Dame

6B. Marcelino Ball, S, Indiana

7A. Jake Bentley, QB, South Carolina

7B. Jon Runyan, OL, Michigan

Edited by Joe

Well, Joe has asked for some feedback...but I have to point out I am really a novice at the mock draft business. For my one-and-a-half cents, I think he has lots of good selections in terms of positions needed, the right rounds for the picks, and definitely many of the specific player names for the positions. I couldn't agree more with the choice of three o-linemen--and the guys he picked have some important position versatility. Hard to disagree with two tight ends as well--Graham and Lewis are long in the tooth. If I were to suggest some alternative thoughts--and this is just my bias coming out--I would have a tough time not picking a wide receiver like Tee Higgins of Clemson in Round One. Raekwon Davis is a beast, but my concerns about the many late round guys we have right now at wideout are a serious issue for me, and the development of Tyler Lancaster holds some promise. Maybe switch your first round DL with your fourth round WR?--just sayin'. I know St. Brown is coming back next season, so I could be wrong about picking a WR early. The only other thought I have is that Gutekunst really seems to have a strong lean toward tall pass catchers. Possibly consider Colby Parkinson, a TE from Stanford who measures 6'7" in the third or fourth round. He might be pretty appealing to replacing the height that Jimmy Graham has. Really thoughtful mock. Nice work!

11 hours ago, Joe said:

What do we think of this mock?

1. Raekwon Davis, DL, 'Bama

2. Yasir Durant, OT, Mizzou

3. Bryce Hopkins, TE, Vandy

4. KJ Hamler, WR, Penn St.

5. KJ Britt, ILB, Auburn

6A. Cole Kmet, TE, Notre Dame

6B. Marcelino Ball, S, Indiana

7A. Jake Bentley, QB, South Carolina

7B. Jon Runyan, OL, Michigan

You picked the all-under achieving team here, didn't you?

1. There's only so many guys with the length, size, and athletic ability to play this thing, but I'm not sure I could handle Gary and Davis in this thing together. That's a ton of college underachieving hanging out on this DL. But I also see the attraction.

2. Hate guys out of shape going into their draft year and Durant did, that acknowledged, has a legitimate ceiling.

3. Did you mean Brycen Hopkins from Purdue? If so, how many of these guys are we going to try and develop at once? Hopkins would make 3. 

4. Hamler's like 5'8 170. Hard to get behind that pick.

5. Has Britt indicated he's going to come out? He's splitting time this year.

6. Kmet isn't falling to 6th. He'll go top 4 easy.

6b. No idea

7. Always scary to see a freshman outproducing a senior, but who really cares it's camp fodder anyway.

7b. Runyan sucks but the N in NFL stands for Nepotism. He'll make a squad.

Edited by AlexGreen#20