2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Reporting this probably means there is zero chance we take him, lol. However, if we don't add a legit WR in FA, I'm not sure how don't go WR in Round 1. Pretty much a must IMO. 

The Packers have been less incognito with regards to their draft intentions.  In 2018, they visited with Tim Boyle, Oren Burks, Kendall Donnerson, J'Mon Moore, and MVS.  They all end up being Packers at one point or another.  In 2019, they had Curtis Bolton, Ka'Dar Hollman, and Jace Sternberger in for visits.  I believe they visited with Rashan Gary at the Combine too.

15 minutes ago, fistfullofbeer said:

Mel Kiper's latest mock has us taking Chase Claypool in the 1st round. His mock also had Mims going to the Vikings at 22.

Typical thinking of many draft 'experts' that assume we MUST get a WR in round one. In reality, I don't think we go ILB or WR in round one. I'd plump for drafting the lines, O line/D line, at least one of them and quite possibly both in rounds 1/2.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jaegybomb said:

I hate Claypool in the 1st.

18 minutes ago, fistfullofbeer said:

Mel Kiper's latest mock has us taking Chase Claypool in the 1st round. His mock also had Mims going to the Vikings at 22.

I don't like him at 30 either, but he fits our model and actually wouldn't be too upset if we took him at 62, however. He's graded higher than Mims and checks all the boxes that MLF desires in a receiver.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

The Packers have been less incognito with regards to their draft intentions.  In 2018, they visited with Tim Boyle, Oren Burks, Kendall Donnerson, J'Mon Moore, and MVS.  They all end up being Packers at one point or another.  In 2019, they had Curtis Bolton, Ka'Dar Hollman, and Jace Sternberger in for visits.  I believe they visited with Rashan Gary at the Combine too.

True, but we weren't so incognito when we drafted Datone Jones. It was as obvious as Sternberger last year. I sincerely hope the Mims thing is a smokescreen. I honestly don't see him sliding past New England. We all know BB focuses on what guys can do versus what they can't do and Mims would complement N'Keal Harry and Julian Edelman perfectly in that offense. I don't see him being able to do that in our offense at all because he isn't physical enough. LIS in another thread: he's MVS with a better vertical.

30 minutes ago, fistfullofbeer said:

I really hope we aren't that dumb with premium picks.    Some people really overrate combine results.

1 minute ago, Joe said:

True, but we weren't so incognito when we drafted Datone Jones. It was as obvious as Sternberger last year. I sincerely hope the Mims thing is a smokescreen. I honestly don't see him sliding past New England. We all know BB focuses on what guys can do versus what they can't do and Mims would complement N'Keal Harry and Julian Edelman perfectly in that offense. I don't see him being able to do that in our offense at all because he isn't physical enough. LIS in another thread: he's MVS with a better vertical.

That was in 2013, nearly a decade ago.  We're better off using data from the last two drafts since they're exponentially more relevant.  Right now, I think we're goin to see at least 3 WRs (Jeudy, Lamb, and Ruggs) go off the board before our pick.  I'd imagine another 1-2 WRs will go off the board, and those could be anyone.  Calling Mims MVS v2.0 is a really bad take.  I'd suggest go back and watching him some more.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

That was in 2013, nearly a decade ago.  We're better off using data from the last two drafts since they're exponentially more relevant.  Right now, I think we're goin to see at least 3 WRs (Jeudy, Lamb, and Ruggs) go off the board before our pick.  I'd imagine another 1-2 WRs will go off the board, and those could be anyone.  Calling Mims MVS v2.0 is a really bad take.  I'd suggest go back and watching him some more.

Have you done a side-by-side scouting report of the two? They're practically identical. Also, I've seen plenty of Mims because I followed TCU and Baylor as a kid growing up in Sherman, TX and still do today; which is partially why I'm a Reagor over Mims guy.

4 minutes ago, Joe said:

Have you done a side-by-side scouting report of the two? They're practically identical. Also, I've seen plenty of Mims because I followed TCU and Baylor as a kid growing up in Sherman, TX and still do today; which is partially why I'm a Reagor over Mims guy.

Yes.  And I'm still saying it's at best a lazy comparison.  He's an underdeveloped route runner coming out of Baylor, but he actually looked better in his route running at the Senior Bowl then he ever showed at Baylor.  So you're talking about an unusually small sample size to project him improving as a route runner, but the physical tools are there.  His catch radius and his ability to win in a contested battle are a large reason why I see more success than MVS, particularly in the short-to-intermediate routes.  MVS is a deep threat, and doesn't really offer a whole heck of a lot besides that.  Neither one of them are guys who can play in the slot IMO.  Mims utilizes his size well, especially with how he uses his hands against corners.  You really didn't see that with MVS coming out of South Florida.

And yes, I live in Big 12 country.  And I'd rather walk away with Mims than Reagor.

EDIT: If they're nearly identical, why is Mims being projected as a FRP while MVS fell to the 5th round?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Joe said:

If you give MVS a vertical, body control, absolutely stellar catches away from the body, ots tracking and production, sure they're pretty similar.

• Like 3

Just now, HighCalebR said:

If you give MVS a vertical, body control, absolutely stellar catches away from the body, ots tracking and production, sure they're pretty similar.

He did all of that in college with the exception of the vertical...it hasn't transitioned to the pros.

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

He did all of that in college with the exception of the vertical...it hasn't transitioned to the pros.

Just No.   MVS college tape doesn't come close to matching Mim's. 

I'd rather have Mim's than Reagor any time. 

16 minutes ago, Joe said:

MVS had 1 year of production in which he don't eclipse 1000 yards. His college stuff showed he was way more comfortable body catching. Most of his deep balls he's working his way back into the middle of the field. That's not over the shoulder tracking. Hell his QB was so bad he was coming back towards a good amount of his shots. There's glimpses of him doing these things well but it's not there consistently. Body control? When did he ever contort for a catch? His window is chest or in front.