2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I don't think I like Tua, who is probably the next best QB in the draft? But I know nothing about the QBs this year other than, after watching a single game, I'd probably give up the farm for Burrow. Glad he's going to the AFC.

Tua is probably #2 by a pretty healthy margin assuming the medicals are clean.  Justin Herbert out of Oregon is probably most people's 3rd ranked QB.  But beyond that you get lumped into the Jacob Eason, Jalen Hurts, Jordan Love, etc. bunch.

12 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

Cinci will probably announce they are going Burrow 2 weeks before the draft. He’s the clear pick but they still have to do due diligence. Burrow still has flaws as a prospect (1 year of college tape, C arm). He could also have bad medicals, have a a legal issue that pops up, etc. A team might offer something ridiculous as well (2 draft classes).

I’ll also say, there’s a 50% chance Washington picks at 2. Miami, LAC, Carolina, and Jax need a qb. Someone is trading up to 2-4 for their qb.

Really didn't think he showed that last night. He carved up Clemson pretty badly.

We cannot pick better than 30th overall (without trading up) 

Here are the last few picks between 30-32:

Harry, McGary, Baker (WR, OT, CB)
Hughes, Michel, Jackson (CB, RB, QB)
Watt, Foster, Ramczyk (EDGE, ILB, OT)
Butler, Ifedi, Ogbah (DL, IOL, EDGE)
Randall, Anthony, Brown (DB, ILB, DT)
Ward, Roby, Bridgewater (S, CB, QB)
Ogletree, Frederick, Elam (ILB, C, S)
Jenkins, Martin, Wilson (WR, RB, RB)

Honestly, I was really expecting for there to be a lot more busts. 

2 hours ago, Joe said:

Really didn't think he showed that last night. He carved up Clemson pretty badly.

You can carve someone up and only have an average arm. He has good touch and command, but he  isn't a plus arm talent by any means.  The ball doesn't jump off his hands, which matters in the AFC north.

With that said, I still think he's the obvious pick, but there are red flags.

The Draft Network -  Top 10 2020 Prospect Rankings

1 - Chase Young, EDGE
2 - Joe Burrow, QB
3 - Tua Tagovailoa, QB
4 - Derrick Brown, IDL
5 - Jerry Jeudy, WR
6 - Tristan Wirfs, OT
7 - Jeffrey Okudah, CB
8 - Andrew Thomas, OT
9 - CeeDee Lamb, WR
10-Isaiah Simmons, LB

23 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

We cannot pick better than 30th overall (without trading up) 

Here are the last few picks between 30-32:

Harry, McGary, Baker (WR, OT, CB)
Hughes, Michel, Jackson (CB, RB, QB)
Watt, Foster, Ramczyk (EDGE, ILB, OT)
Butler, Ifedi, Ogbah (DL, IOL, EDGE)
Randall, Anthony, Brown (DB, ILB, DT)
Ward, Roby, Bridgewater (S, CB, QB)
Ogletree, Frederick, Elam (ILB, C, S)
Jenkins, Martin, Wilson (WR, RB, RB)

Honestly, I was really expecting for there to be a lot more busts. 

I see only one.

In 2010 the Packers WR were Jennings, Driver, Nelson, Jones, Swain. You know how it evolved from there. Stop and really think about that for a second. That's quite a run of WR's over a long period of time. As I said elsewhere, after really thinking about this, Rodgers was not the identity of this team, the WR's were. MM ran out starter caliber WR's against the opponent's 3rd and 4th CB's. An offense predicated on WR's winning one on one matchups was no problem because MM outflanked them with talent. The Patriots did more with less by being smarter than the other team. The Packers just overwhelmed with talent. I think fans took that for granted, myself included.

Remember Nelson's knee injury and how Rodgers couldn't find open receivers ? Remember bringing back Jones for a second stint ? The dropoff in talent was slow but steady.

I'm not saying Rodgers arm talent hasn't fallen off. I'm not saying Rodgers hasn't become more conservative. No one knows for sure. One thing that is for sure is that the WR talent has fallen off the cliff. The interesting thing is that it isn't that far off from the NFL average, it's just light years away from the "glory days." Incomplete passes shouldn't be shocking, but based upon the last 8 years, they are. That was my revelation. It's impossible for Rodgers to put up the same numbers.

I still don't believe a 1st Round WR is the best value, and I'm not even sure if MLF and or Gute see WR as a huge issue. Maybe we are seeing a shift in the identity of the offense. Remember, the last 8 years has been an anomaly, and not the norm. Trying to put together the same thing all over again would be a tough task. It sure was fun while it lasted

Edited by cannondale

5 hours ago, cannondale said:

I still don't believe a 1st Round WR is the best value, and I'm not even sure if MLF and or Gute see WR as a huge issue. Maybe we are seeing a shift in the identity of the offense. Remember, the last 8 years has been an anomaly, and not the norm. Trying to put together the same thing all over again would be a tough task. It sure was fun while it lasted

It really isn't. A (singular) WR doesn't help much. Yes we need a #2, but the secret was having 4 guys who were viable starters for most of the league. Right now the Packers have 1. Adding a first round pick is nice, adding a 2nd-3rd and a mid level (think Billy Turner tier) FA would be much better.

4 hours ago, spilltray said:

It really isn't. A (singular) WR doesn't help much. Yes we need a #2, but the secret was having 4 guys who were viable starters for most of the league. Right now the Packers have 1. Adding a first round pick is nice, adding a 2nd-3rd and a mid level (think Billy Turner tier) FA would be much better.

Unless a Julio type talent for whatever reason drops that far down to Packers in round 1 your thinking is solid.  Get that receiver in round 2 and a reasonable free agent.  Have faith in Sternberger but adding a te in fa or draft wouldn't hurt either.  Team needs more overall talent catching the ball and it doesn't matter how they get it.

• Like 1

I think anything is on the table in this draft. We pick late enough and there is a definite reason to hit the "all in" button for the next 3 years. Usually I don't think you touch a RB, ILB,TE, WR or OG in round 1, this year if there's a clear path to him contributing, I think it's on the table. We're kind of in the Denver/Manning window now. I know Rodgers talks about playing into his 40s, but once he has that 2nd ring I think he'll start to think about his post football interests. 

• Like 2