2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I think anything is on the table in this draft. We pick late enough and there is a definite reason to hit the "all in" button for the next 3 years. Usually I don't think you touch a RB, ILB,TE, WR or OG in round 1, this year if there's a clear path to him contributing, I think it's on the table. We're kind of in the Denver/Manning window now. I know Rodgers talks about playing into his 40s, but once he has that 2nd ring I think he'll start to think about his post football interests. 

Yep! I see us bringing in a few free agents next year again. Still think Graham and Taylor are getting cut and Linsley v. Bulaga is going to be interesting. IF they think there is little fall off from Linsley to Lucas, I could see Linsley as a cap casualty as well so we can extend Bulaga and get a few pieces in free agency. 

1 hour ago, Golfman said:

Yep! I see us bringing in a few free agents next year again. Still think Graham and Taylor are getting cut and Linsley v. Bulaga is going to be interesting. IF they think there is little fall off from Linsley to Lucas, I could see Linsley as a cap casualty as well so we can extend Bulaga and get a few pieces in free agency. 

I think they will, but it wouldn't be a cap casualty situation IMHO. It'd be a play-based decision. Linsley has been pretty hit-or-miss this season and with a bad back now I could see us maybe taking Biadasz in the first if he's sitting there who knows. If it were cap based, however, I'd think that money would go to Blake actually given that Bulaga's been healthier this year than most and has shown no signs of slowing down. At this point, it's kind of obvious that you'd give him a 3-year deal with a succession plan in place. 

As to your quoted text. I'd disagree with @Packerraymond about the Manning/Denver analogy despite the variable of "kinda." Peyton was there to lead with his mind, not his arm and their window was open for a very brief period. Rodgers is nowhere close to that kind of loss in facilities and our window is still pretty open with him as a result. 

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

As to your quoted text. I'd disagree with @Packerraymond about the Manning/Denver analogy despite the variable of "kinda." Peyton was there to lead with his mind, not his arm and their window was open for a very brief period. Rodgers is nowhere close to that kind of loss in facilities and our window is still pretty open with him as a result. 

That's a dangerous assumption IMO. One more concussion gives Rodgers 4, who knows if he'll be interested in football at that point, he has plans for his life post ball. Window should be viewed as short. Can't assume anything into his 40s.

7 minutes ago, Joe said:

I think they will, but it wouldn't be a cap casualty situation IMHO. It'd be a play-based decision. Linsley has been pretty hit-or-miss this season and with a bad back now I could see us maybe taking Biadasz in the first if he's sitting there who knows. If it were cap based, however, I'd think that money would go to Blake actually given that Bulaga's been healthier this year than most and has shown no signs of slowing down. At this point, it's kind of obvious that you'd give him a 3-year deal with a succession plan in place. 

Rodgers isn't Manning yet that's for sure.  In 3-4 years however, he may be.  The window is open as Packerraymond said for 3-4 years.  Packer brass doesn't have to go all in up to their eye balls but they should certainly make a very hard push to improve in certain areas to get through that super bowl open window.     

Edited by coachbuns

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I think anything is on the table in this draft. We pick late enough and there is a definite reason to hit the "all in" button for the next 3 years. Usually I don't think you touch a RB, ILB,TE, WR or OG in round 1, this year if there's a clear path to him contributing, I think it's on the table. We're kind of in the Denver/Manning window now. I know Rodgers talks about playing into his 40s, but once he has that 2nd ring I think he'll start to think about his post football interests. 

Thinking we trade down a bit and try a few bites at the apple.  Gute should add a fa and a couple of draft picks to the WR core.  Need a multi purpose TE as well.  ILB we have been talking about this for awhile now.  No way you pay Martinez 16/yr.  Don't think he'll command that in FA either.  Nice player but can be replaced at much less cost.  Really we need DT, WR, ILB should be the areas to concentrate on.  Should try to maneuver around Picks in rounds 2-4 should be able to find some players.  WR is very deep Gute may not feel the need to take one right away make have some mid round options he likes.  Polished route runners with some shake and bake.  Ala Adams/Jennings.  Thing that sucks is rookie WR's usually take some time to develop why I favor bringing in at least one in FA.  

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I know Rodgers talks about playing into his 40s, but once he has that 2nd ring I think he'll start to think about his post football interests. 

Interesting thought.....

Lets theorize: should we win the SB this year - does that affect our decision to draft a QB this year? How deep is the QB class? I'm hearing three names (well four if Fromm is included) -  Burrow, Tua & Herbert.

Is there a "QB of the future" in the 3rd-5th rounds? Would you nab the best available at 32?

12 hours ago, cannondale said:

I still don't believe a 1st Round WR is the best value, and I'm not even sure if MLF and or Gute see WR as a huge issue. Maybe we are seeing a shift in the identity of the offense. Remember, the last 8 years has been an anomaly, and not the norm. Trying to put together the same thing all over again would be a tough task. It sure was fun while it lasted

Maybe? That was pretty much the reason MLF was hired - a shift away from MM.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Interesting thought.....

Lets theorize: should we win the SB this year - does that affect our decision to draft a QB this year? How deep is the QB class? I'm hearing three names (well four if Fromm is included) -  Burrow, Tua & Herbert.

Is there a "QB of the future" in the 3rd-5th rounds? Would you nab the best available at 32?

I wouldn't draft a QB until Rodgers officially retired. My plan would be to suck for a year, purge all bad contracts at that time and eat the cap hits and use the good draft pick to take your next QB.

I want every single year of that rookie deal. Times have changed with the rookie cap from when Rodgers was drafted. Best way to build a dominant team is a good QB in his rookie deal, so much cap space to spread around.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

I wouldn't draft a QB until Rodgers officially retired. My plan would be to suck for a year, purge all bad contracts at that time and eat the cap hits and use the good draft pick to take your next QB. I want every single year of that rookie deal. Times have changed with the rookie cap from when Rodgers was drafted. Best way to build a dominant team is a good QB in his rookie deal, so much cap space to spread around.

The Reboot Plan. Works for me.

Now do me a favor would you? Get us a top notch WR? :)
Figure out the cap ramifications with Russ (errrrrr @CWood21) - run some of the patterns and route running skills by @AlexGreen#20 - you can ask my opinion as well, but I didnt want to seem "power hungry"- and draft one. Okay?  :)

Advanced issue found

15 minutes ago, Leader said:

Figure out the cap ramifications with Russ (errrrrr @CWood21) - run some of the patterns and route running skills by @AlexGreen#20 - you can ask my opinion as well, but I didnt want to seem "power hungry"- and draft one. Okay?  :)

What are you going to do? Copy-paste twitter feed opinions of draft analysts? Can't wait for that! 

33 minutes ago, Leader said:

Not in the Packers DNA.  Reboot comes with a lot of risks.  What if you miss on that rookie QB?  We should be looking now.  Not saying we need to draft a QB this year but the clock is ticking.  If a QB drops that could be the guy down the road it would behoove the Packers to take him.  As I mentioned before only 2 guys fit that profile this year Fromm and Eason.   We have the luxury of taking a pass and wait to see if one of these guys drop.  If they don't oh well better luck next year.  Have other needs and agree we should try to fill holes first and try to win now.  Always gotta keep an eye toward the future though.  

1 hour ago, Scoremore said:

Not in the Packers DNA.  Reboot comes with a lot of risks.  What if you miss on that rookie QB?  We should be looking now.  Not saying we need to draft a QB this year but the clock is ticking.  If a QB drops that could be the guy down the road it would behoove the Packers to take him.  As I mentioned before only 2 guys fit that profile this year Fromm and Eason.   We have the luxury of taking a pass and wait to see if one of these guys drop.  If they don't oh well better luck next year.  Have other needs and agree we should try to fill holes first and try to win now.  Always gotta keep an eye toward the future though.  

If you miss on the QB, you draft another. I don't see the issue there.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If you miss on the QB, you draft another. I don't see the issue there.

Issue is you take a one tank season and turn into several.  Become desperate in your search for a franchise QB can be brutal.  Better to get a jump and be prepared when Rodgers retires and already have your guy waiting in the wings.  Also it's a really bad idea to ever take a rookie QB and thrust him into the starting line up.  Just a bad way to roll.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Thinking we trade down a bit and try a few bites at the apple.  Gute should add a fa and a couple of draft picks to the WR core.  Need a multi purpose TE as well.  ILB we have been talking about this for awhile now.  No way you pay Martinez 16/yr.  Don't think he'll command that in FA either.  Nice player but can be replaced at much less cost.  Really we need DT, WR, ILB should be the areas to concentrate on.  Should try to maneuver around Picks in rounds 2-4 should be able to find some players.  WR is very deep Gute may not feel the need to take one right away make have some mid round options he likes.  Polished route runners with some shake and bake.  Ala Adams/Jennings.  Thing that sucks is rookie WR's usually take some time to develop why I favor bringing in at least one in FA.  

Have no problem trading down but not to far.  Packers don't need quantity ... quality on the choices is necessary.  For the next 3-4 years, good quality players are needed at positions no matter how the Packers get them is the key!!