2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

19 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Issue is you take a one tank season and turn into several.  Become desperate in your search for a franchise QB can be brutal.  Better to get a jump and be prepared when Rodgers retires and already have your guy waiting in the wings.  Also it's a really bad idea to ever take a rookie QB and thrust him into the starting line up.  Just a bad way to roll.  

Then you miss out on the rookie deal. No thanks. Risk is worth the reward to me.

21 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Issue is you take a one tank season and turn into several.  Become desperate in your search for a franchise QB can be brutal.  Better to get a jump and be prepared when Rodgers retires and already have your guy waiting in the wings.  Also it's a really bad idea to ever take a rookie QB and thrust him into the starting line up.  Just a bad way to roll.  

How do you know you have your guy if he's not playing?

You're not going to try and win a championship the guy's rookie year. More than likely there's going to be some 6-10 seasons as we try and find that guy.

22 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

This...

...and if I'm Aaron, I have to understand that I may need to give garbage time over to a young QB to take some in-game reps like Brady did with Jarrett Stidham a few times this year.

23 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

How do you know you have your guy if he's not playing?

You're not going to try and win a championship the guy's rookie year. More than likely there's going to be some 6-10 seasons as we try and find that guy.

Well they sure knew with Aaron didn't they?  You get the guy in camp and start working with him.  How many times do we see promising young rookie QB's get destroyed by being forced to start before they are ready?  If you are going to argue this point I can't help you.  Also do we really want to string a bunch of bad seasons together in hopes of finding our next franchise QB?  The transition from Farve to Rodgers was seamless.  That's what you want.  

Not saying we'll get that lucky again but to ignore the QB position is foolish.  We still have the luxury of waiting all I am saying is if a promising QB prospect falls in our laps we'd be foolish not to take him.  Really the only guy I want in this draft that could fit that mold is Eason.  If he's there at the end of the 2nd round I'd draft him.  Still like Rosen as well.  He's cost less in terms of draft capital although depending on how long Rodgers plays the timing on that might be off.

Edited by Scoremore

54 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

So if you draft a QB now and he sucks, he still sucks and you are left looking for a QB.  You are still in a desperate search for your replacement....and you have limited your ability to adding talent options at other positions that could help you while you have Rodgers at QB and pushing for a title.  

I could get talked into the Wisconsin center in the first round.  Biadasz.  (Bad A&@)

Maybe a tick lower as a player as a rookie than Linsley this past year.  But...less expensive and long term better.

Thinking that @Joe brought that up.  Interesting to consider.  End of round one is a crap shoot and I think Tyler is going to be a very good pro.

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I could get talked into the Wisconsin center in the first round.  Biadasz.  (Bad A&@)

Maybe a tick lower as a player as a rookie than Linsley this past year.  But...less expensive and long term better.

Thinking that @Joe brought that up.  Interesting to consider.  End of round one is a crap shoot and I think Tyler is going to be a very good pro.

I did, and despite his current ranking, he'll slide simply because he's an IOL. Unless you're Zach Martin or Quentin Nelson, you're probably not going top-30, let alone top-10 as a an IOL.

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Wisconsin players are no good :)
(Incoming!)

12 minutes ago, squire12 said:

So if you draft a QB now and he sucks, he still sucks and you are left looking for a QB.  You are still in a desperate search for your replacement....and you have limited your ability to adding talent options at other positions that could help you while you have Rodgers at QB and pushing for a title.  

Not advocating using high draft capital.  Our second rounder is going to be #60 or later.  If we do miss it's better to find out sooner than later.  You guys don't seem to think we'll have any idea until he starts.  That's not the case.  Once in the fold the QB will be evaluated and we will have a pretty good idea if he is a bust or not well before he hits the field.  Think it's a really bad idea not to have a succession plan in place.  Again the whole premise to my argument is IF a guy falls to us.  We have the luxury of waiting at least for now.  Gutey should be studying the QB draft class and not ignore the position.  Heck we could also take a late round flyer as well.  Wolf used to do this with great success.  Right now we have an UDFA behind Aaron are any of you guys comfortable with that?

22 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Since the success rate is rather low for QBs, even 1st round QBs, there is a high probability that he WILL suck. That isn't the point, though. QBs are SO important to a franchise, the teams front office will try again and agin if they have to, to get the guy....(or if very lucky THE GUY). It's all about finding a guy you are confident about............and one you have the pick(s) to get. Get him early, get him a little later, which year you acquire him is nowhere near as important as getting the right guy. Find a guy you can believe in, get him, and try to make it work. A low success % pick will be a low % pick whether you acquire him this year, next year or later still. I wouldn't like to see the Packers wait until getting another QB is forced on them, and then having to chuck him in too early, but you have to try and get a guy you think you can commit to.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Joe said:

I did, and despite his current ranking, he'll slide simply because he's an IOL. Unless you're Zach Martin or Quentin Nelson, you're probably not going top-30, let alone top-10 as a an IOL.

I think that at the end of round one, you can do a lot worse than getting a center that will probably be top 1/3 in the league in a short amount of time.

I'd rather a corner be drafted, or a WR...but....I can see the draw to Tyler.

1 hour ago, Scoremore said:

Well they sure knew with Aaron didn't they?  You get the guy in camp and start working with him.  How many times do we see promising young rookie QB's get destroyed by being forced to start before they are ready?  If you are going to argue this point I can't help you.  Also do we really want to string a bunch of bad seasons together in hopes of finding our next franchise QB?  The transition from Farve to Rodgers was seamless.  That's what you want.  

Not saying we'll get that lucky again but to ignore the QB position is foolish.  We still have the luxury of waiting all I am saying is if a promising QB prospect falls in our laps we'd be foolish not to take him.  Really the only guy I want in this draft that could fit that mold is Eason.  If he's there at the end of the 2nd round I'd draft him.  Still like Rosen as well.  He's cost less in terms of draft capital although depending on how long Rodgers plays the timing on that might be off.

The transition from Favre to Rodgers took place in an NFL that doesn't exist anymore. You were paying your top 10 picks about as much as your star players.

Now that you pay your rookies significantly less, the more of them you get contributing, the more you have a chance to win. Baltimore, KC, LAR, Tenn, Dallas, Houston all good teams currently benefitting from this.

You're also not factoring in the talent difference. You bring up Eason, well the teams that tanked this year will get Burrow/Tua. That's a huge talent jump.

Give me all the years of a rookie QB who's a top 5 pick than hoping you hit on a less talented late 1st-2nd round QB and hoping you can develop his skillset.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Give me all the years of a rookie QB who's a top 5 pick than hoping you hit on a less talented late 1st-2nd round QB and hoping you can develop his skillset

If you aren't getting high picks.................no QB until you DO have a sucky year................even if you have an awful year there is no guarantee there is a guy you like available in that years draft.

• Like 1