2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

23 minutes ago, Gypsy1027 said:

On a scale of 1 to 10 in terms of scouting ability, I rate somewhere in the negative numbers. That said, however, because the subject is quarterback accuracy and later round prospects, I'm wondering if anyone has some thoughts on a guy who looks to be a 5th round type QB. He's James Morgan from Florida International University. Decent height, a wee bit light at about 215, and has respectable numbers. He doesn't throw many interceptions. Maybe a backup challenger?

Ashwaubenon product.  Local kid.  UDFA most likely.  Not much on him but sounds like a good kid.  Guessing he's a Packer fan so he can't be all bad. 

16 minutes ago, Green19 said:

How do people feel about Fromm at QB? Interested in him to be the heir apparent?

Sure .. worth a look in round two.  Smart and heady .. would have time to work on increasing his arm strength and learning the system behind Rodgers for a season or two.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

41 minutes ago, Green19 said:

How do people feel about Fromm at QB? Interested in him to be the heir apparent?

We've already discussed this and...no...limited athlete.

1 hour ago, Scoremore said:

Ashwaubenon product.  Local kid.  UDFA most likely.  Not much on him but sounds like a good kid.  Guessing he's a Packer fan so he can't be all bad. 

We kinda already have that guy. His name is Manny Wilkins...

6 hours ago, Gypsy1027 said:

On a scale of 1 to 10 in terms of scouting ability, I rate somewhere in the negative numbers. That said, however, because the subject is quarterback accuracy and later round prospects, I'm wondering if anyone has some thoughts on a guy who looks to be a 5th round type QB. He's James Morgan from Florida International University. Decent height, a wee bit light at about 215, and has respectable numbers. He doesn't throw many interceptions. Maybe a backup challenger?

UDFA.  Honestly, I don't remember the last time we had a non-P5 QB put up poor numbers like Morgan and get drafted highly.  He's maybe a Day 3 pick if a team wants to throw a flier at him, but I don't think there really is anything there.

All things considered, I still like the value Stanley might bring on draft day. Yea, he's a Wisconsin kid but take a look at his throws. He looks tall and strong in the pocket, with enough athleticism to escape. He shows a lot of touch and maybe uses it too much, because he has an effortless motion that can deliver with pace. Very much a prototype guy with a strong overhand delivery. When forced to deliver flat footed you can see he has a live arm. Maybe a bit of young Roethlisberger ? Maybe a little Cousins, who was taken in the 4th Round ? Might be overlooked because he isn't a gadget guy everyone could be looking for. Things at the QB spot could change drastically by the time Draft Day rolls around. Is there really that big a difference between a guy like Stanley and some of the more publicized guys ? He seems to have some of the unteachable tools. I know some question his accuracy, but the same was said about Josh Allen. All that being said, 99.99% of the population would be just as successful throwing darts when it comes to evaluating the QB spot.

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, cannondale said:

All things considered, I still like the value Stanley might bring on draft day. Yea, he's a Wisconsin kid but take a look at his throws. He looks tall and strong in the pocket, with enough athleticism to escape. He shows a lot of touch and maybe uses it too much, because he has an effortless motion that can deliver with pace. Very much a prototype guy with a strong overhand delivery. When forced to deliver flat footed you can see he has a live arm. Maybe a bit of young Roethlisberger ? Maybe a little Cousins, who was taken in the 4th Round ? Might be overlooked because he isn't a gadget guy everyone could be looking for. Things at the QB spot could change drastically by the time Draft Day rolls around. Is there really that big a difference between a guy like Stanley and some of the more publicized guys ? He seems to have some of the unteachable tools. I know some question his accuracy, but the same was said about Josh Allen. All that being said, 99.99% of the population would be just as successful throwing darts when it comes to evaluating the QB spot.

I think he's well worth it if we're able to address our major needs with the first four or five picks. Really don't know why more people aren't talking about him. On the other hand, he's not exactly playing for what could be considered a winning program at the moment. Sure they knocked around USC, but they won that game with defense more than anything. I think studying Rodgers would do Stanley well and while he wouldn't be heir apparent, he may be able to net us a nice supplemental pick down the road if we can groom him.

7 minutes ago, Joe said:

I think he's well worth it if we're able to address our major needs with the first four or five picks. Really don't know why more people aren't talking about him. On the other hand, he's not exactly playing for what could be considered a winning program at the moment. Sure they knocked around USC, but they won that game with defense more than anything. I think studying Rodgers would do Stanley well and while he wouldn't be heir apparent, he may be able to net us a nice supplemental pick down the road if we can groom him.

think the main issue is he had nfl quality weapons and didn't really utilize them like he could have

1 hour ago, Fl0nkerton said:

think the main issue is he had nfl quality weapons and didn't really utilize them like he could have

NFL quality weapons? Like who? He only had Fant and Hockenson for a year or two IIRC and a smaller slot receiver who all graduated before this past season. Plus you have to consider the fact that Iowa's offense is pretty conservative and rather dated TBH. 

Edited by Joe

How do we get Denzel Mims, Albert Okwuegbunam, Jordan Elliot and Kenneth Murray in town? Someone do a mock, make this happen and I'll give you footballs.

Watching Mims, now you have to also have Aretavious Hendrix in the 7th 

Edited by HighCalebR