2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Does anyone expect anything differently?  At this point, it'd be a HUGE shock if Joe Burrow wasn't a Bungal and Chase Young wasn't a Redskin.

I think the NFL really wants teams to keep their plans under wraps, even when they're obvious, just to protect the value of the draft as a television product.  In cases like this, it's especially absurd.

Just now, PossibleCabbage said:

I think the NFL really wants teams to keep their plans under wraps, even when they're obvious, just to protect the value of the draft as a television product.  In cases like this, it's especially absurd.

I mean, the draft isn't going to overly surprising.  They just don't want teams announcing who they're gonna pick ahead of time.

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I'm curious what the NFL's gonna do to make keep the Bengals from saying "yeah, we're taking Burrow" before late April.  Like I suppose you might want to wait until the combine and make sure he doesn't have super cancer or a degenerative hip or something, but you could probably turn the card in now.

And then Washington runs the card up for Chase Young and Detroit is on the clock.

Cinci will probably announce they are going Burrow 2 weeks before the draft. He’s the clear pick but they still have to do due diligence. Burrow still has flaws as a prospect (1 year of college tape, C arm). He could also have bad medicals, have a a legal issue that pops up, etc. A team might offer something ridiculous as well (2 draft classes).

I’ll also say, there’s a 50% chance Washington picks at 2. Miami, LAC, Carolina, and Jax need a qb. Someone is trading up to 2-4 for their qb.

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Does anyone expect anything differently?  At this point, it'd be a HUGE shock if Joe Burrow wasn't a Bungal and Chase Young wasn't a Redskin.

And then will come Detroit......

There's an argument to be made that its better for us that our NFCN partners - while not kicking *** and making our lives difficult during the season - dont continually **** the bed and wind up with *top* draft talent.

Last year DET snagged pick #8. This year they're sitting at #3. Whether they hold there or swap the pick out for more draft talent (and make smart use of those picks.....) remains to be seen - but we're playing a team this weekend that went thru a similar cycle.

I'd rather they win a few more regular season games than hope they screw up and pick the wrong guys.

48 minutes ago, Leader said:

Last year DET snagged pick #8. This year they're sitting at #3. Whether they hold there or swap the pick out for more draft talent (and make smart use of those picks.....) remains to be seen - but we're playing a team this weekend that went thru a similar cycle.

That 49ers D line, here is how it was made.

2015 DT Arik Armstead round 1 (17th overall)
2016 DT/DE DeForest Buckner round 1 (7th overall)
2017 DE Solomon Thomas round 1 (3rd overall)
2017 LB Reuben Foster round 1 (31st overall)
2017 DT D.J.Jones round 6 (contract ends after 2020, a bargain pickup, but his second contract will be a big one)
2019 DE Nick Bosa round 1 (2nd overall)
2019 DE Dee Ford vet FA (contract $17m pa until end of 2023)

That is a monster investment in the defensive front seven, one that is only possible if you have really sucked for 5 years. The Packers have to find a different way to get quality players as the have usually drafted in the mid to late 20's for decades.

• Like 1

This ^

I made a joke/observation to a MN fan on their MN/SF GDT (when the SF DL was absolutely manhandling the MN OL)  - that they've got like 9 first round picks along that DL.  Clearly an exaggeration....but as noted above they've been pumping talent into that position group. 

If (as we both hope) GB continues to succeed on the field (and draw lower draft slots) we need to be different than the TT days regards FAs. Use what capital we have to make targeted investments in that area - or be more aggressive on draft day going after players we evaluate can help us best. 

Sitting at the bottom of the ocean waiting on whatever food floats down to us......can tend to weaken our roster overall.

I'm all for continual NFCN dominance - but the flip side of the operational album needs to be handled differently - which appears to be the case.

34 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

2017 DT D.J.Jones round 6 (contract ends after 2020, a bargain pickup, but his second contract will be a big one)

That is a monster investment in the defensive front seven, one that is only possible if you have really sucked for 5 years. The Packers have to find a different way to get quality players as the have usually drafted in the mid to late 20's for decades.

sub Foster out for Kwon Alexander and Fred Warner but the point still stands

22 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Good point on Kwon Alexander, who was a mid-round pick by the Bucs, so he doesn't fit into the draft pick expenditure, but his salary ($13.5m pa) does impact things plenty, and since he is only 25 now his next contract will also be a big one. 

I'm not sure what Warner's worth will be after 2021 (when his contract expires).

As in earlier years (remember Aldon Smith ?) Thomas and Foster were/are busts, but they still used up high picks in the 49ers ongoing effort to build that front 7.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

The only one I'm mad about is Bosa. Man they had no business getting Bosa.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Could easily see someone trading up to 2 to nab another QB. I have no idea who, don't even know the QBs.

Chase Young is a franchise changing player in the mold of a Watt/Donald ceiling type talent. Id need minimum 4 first round picks to leave that spot. I don't think #2 is for sale this year.

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Chase Young is a franchise changing player in the mold of a Watt/Donald ceiling type talent. Id need minimum 4 first round picks to leave that spot. I don't think #2 is for sale this year.

I don't think I like Tua, who is probably the next best QB in the draft? But I know nothing about the QBs this year other than, after watching a single game, I'd probably give up the farm for Burrow. Glad he's going to the AFC.

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I don't think I like Tua, who is probably the next best QB in the draft? But I know nothing about the QBs this year other than, after watching a single game, I'd probably give up the farm for Burrow. Glad he's going to the AFC.

Oregon's QB is probably #3. It's a significant drop after Tua. More of the mid to late first types. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:
2 hours ago, JBURGE said:

Good point on Kwon Alexander, who was a mid-round pick by the Bucs, so he doesn't fit into the draft pick expenditure, but his salary ($13.5m pa) does impact things plenty, and since he is only 25 now his next contract will also be a big one. 

I'm not sure what Warner's worth will be after 2021 (when his contract expires).

As in earlier years (remember Aldon Smith ?) Thomas and Foster were/are busts, but they still used up high picks in the 49ers ongoing effort to build that front 7.

I meant it to support your case, that they paid a ton for him. The investment in the front 7 has been huge

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

This.  You're going to need to give the Redskins an RG3-like package for them to even consider moving down.  This is exactly like when Nick and Joey Bosa were taken.