Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

9 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

I mean, I'll admit I'm actually surprised by the finish - I get it, but it feels rushed.  I get that you do your payoffs at Mania, because that ultimately makes sense, but when you're doing a two-night WM, I feel like there's actually more clever storytelling in having KO and Sami come up just short in their first crack at dethroning the Usos - especially if you're going to give certain payoffs like Sami being the first person to kick out of the the 1D in the match.  Stretch it out a little longer, allow it to plant the seed that Roman might actually go over tomorrow night to build further tension, and then pay off this feud with something like a titles versus contracts match at SummerSlam (which is in Detroit and just a hop, skip, and jump over the lake to Quebec).  They executed the finish the right way, I just feel like there was meat on the bone that could have been had and that this could have been a catalyst to the degradation of the Bloodline - Jimmy and Jey come out on Smackdown and take a bit of a dig at Roman, "So, Jimmy still got his two belts.  And I still got my two belts.  But... uh... Big Uce... what happened to your two belts?"

What if Roman keeps his and he calls out Jimmy and Jey? 

6 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

What if Roman keeps his and he calls out Jimmy and Jey? 

See, Roman keeping his makes less sense storyline-wise though.  Cody going over Roman is the most logical result - which is why going with the less-expected outcome in the match tonight because it would paint some suspicion around the outcome of tomorrow night's main event, made the most sense.

I've always favored using the dirt sheets in your favor without burning them in the process.  So, if the dirt sheets are reporting stuff that is very likely to occur, like Roman taking some notable time off after Mania - which would lend itself to him clearly dropping the titles, then doing small things you can to counteract that tension and make people actually question if it's legit or just rumor, you do it.

Also, the other reasoning behind it is that you have ready-made opponents for a new champion Cody, whereas the tag division is still kind of in a treading water state where there aren't really legitimate contenders for Sami and KO.  Obviously, there's still RAW after WM where there are usually big-time swerves that can happen, but there wasn't the necessity to pull the trigger on paying off Sami/KO vs the Bloodline tonight versus in Detroit.

10 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

I mean, I'll admit I'm actually surprised by the finish - I get it, but it feels rushed.  I get that you do your payoffs at Mania, because that ultimately makes sense, but when you're doing a two-night WM, I feel like there's actually more clever storytelling in having KO and Sami come up just short in their first crack at dethroning the Usos - especially if you're going to give certain payoffs like Sami being the first person to kick out of the the 1D in the match.  Stretch it out a little longer, allow it to plant the seed that Roman might actually go over tomorrow night to build further tension, and then pay off this feud with something like a titles versus contracts match at SummerSlam (which is in Detroit and just a hop, skip, and jump over the lake to Quebec).  They executed the finish the right way, I just feel like there was meat on the bone that could have been had and that this could have been a catalyst to the degradation of the Bloodline - Jimmy and Jey come out on Smackdown and take a bit of a dig at Roman, "So, Jimmy still got his two belts.  And I still got my two belts.  But... uh... Big Uce... what happened to your two belts?"

Next up is Bloodline strife and mutiny.

2 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

We got straight chalk last night. 

Any surprises tonight?

I was waffling back and forth as to whether they'd pay Brock enough to put Omos over, but with Backlash being in Puerto Rico and Blood Jewel in Saudi on the horizon, they're not going to poison the Lesnar well.  I'm just not sure who they'd actually book him against for Jeddah, because I kinda get the feeling that had the Brock/Wyatt program gone down for Mania as originally intended, the Brock/Omos match was intended for Blood Jewel.  I could see them possibly having Omos go over in sketchy fashion to set up the Saudi rematch.

Also, I'm not sure there is a chalk call in the Bianca/Asuka match.  Bianca should be the chaser, because it's where she shines, but she's on the Super Cena booking right now, and I have trouble seeing them break both Charlotte's and Bianca's Mania streaks in the same weekend.  One thing I am definitely hoping for from this match is a Muta tribute from Asuka's entrance.

But, as for non-chalk, unexpected results.  I can see Finn going over tonight because I actually think as long as Papa H is still at the helm of the booking, with MITB being across the Pond, they pull the trigger on giving Finn the MITB case.

Edited by Dr LBC