OTA's/Minicamp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

17 hours ago, N4L said:

The closer we get to the season the more confident I am that we are going to be a damn good football team. I just feel it in my bones. It's the same feeling I had before 2011, like everything this franchise has been building towards is finally going to come together. 

I like that we're more under the radar this year then we were the same time last year. I like the quiet confidence vibe we have around the team. 

• Like 1

Just now, rudyZ said:

I like that we're more under the radar this year then we were the same time last year. I like the quiet confidence vibe we have around the team. 

Im with you. Everyone was patting us on the back last offseason and I think it got to our heads. Hopefully this year we come out HUNGRY.

It will be very important to get off to a good start considering the brutal schedule we have at the end of the year. 

I don't think our record last season had anything to do with us being overconfident or cocky. We had a major injury to the one position in football you can't afford a major injury. Our season would have been much different last year had JG played all 16 games. As I've said repeatedly, we will go as far as our health will. We're slowly building the depth you need to compete at a high level. We still have a ways to to go tho...

30 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I don't think our record last season had anything to do with us being overconfident or cocky. We had a major injury to the one position in football you can't afford a major injury. Our season would have been much different last year had JG played all 16 games. As I've said repeatedly, we will go as far as our health will. We're slowly building the depth you need to compete at a high level. We still have a ways to to go tho...

I have to disagree with you. I think it absolutely worked against us. We are a young team that took things for granted. 

It's not like we were sharp the first few weeks before Jimmy got hurt. We were very sloppy from start to finish last year. Yes, we had some injuries, especially on defense but there were so many damn mental mistakes it drove me nuts. The turnovers, the horrible zone defense we ran, there were sooo many mental mistakes last year. 

Witherspoon is a perfect example of what I am talking about. The guy was getting pat on the back all off-season like he was the second coming and then was really sloppy. He clearly didn't put in the work in the offseason and it showed. 

51 minutes ago, N4L said:

I have to disagree with you. I think it absolutely worked against us. We are a young team that took things for granted. 

It's not like we were sharp the first few weeks before Jimmy got hurt. We were very sloppy from start to finish last year. Yes, we had some injuries, especially on defense but there were so many damn mental mistakes it drove me nuts. The turnovers, the horrible zone defense we ran, there were sooo many mental mistakes last year. 

Witherspoon is a perfect example of what I am talking about. The guy was getting pat on the back all off-season like he was the second coming and then was really sloppy. He clearly didn't put in the work in the offseason and it showed. 

This is pure speculation. You nor I, have nary a clue how hard Spoon did or didn't work during last off-season. The term 'sophmore slump' exist for a reason....it happens. Not only to him but to a number of first time starters. Expectations can put pressure on young players and they start to overanalyze or play outside themselves. Colbert spoke to this, saying he watched alot of film on ET heading into last season I thought he needed to be this big ballhawk@FS and it backfired on him. Instead of just playing the defense called and being disciplined, he took upon himself to go out and make plays that were not there to make. Just a simple case of a young guy trying to do to much when thrust with more responsibility. Not saying this is what happened with Spoon also, but it just goes to show that youngs guys and especially a young team, have to crawl before they can walk in certain instances.

This team has been sloppy and undisciplined since Shanny has got here. Better talent may mask that but I don't expect a drastic change to a completely disciplined group to suddenly take place. Making mental mistakes are a part of the process of a young team growing and maturing. Doesn't mean they didn't put in the work or that they believed their own press clippings. And even if JG didn't look great to start the season, we're easily a 7 win team at the least if he plays the entire season 

So I see training camp will start on July 26. The latest start date in the league along with the Cowboys. Smh Shanny, what are you doing??? 

Seriously though, actually feel bad for teams that start on the 17th. That's a lonnnnnggggg training camp. 

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So I see training camp will start on July 26. The latest start date in the league along with the Cowboys. Smh Shanny, what are you doing??? 

Seriously though, actually feel bad for teams that start on the 17th. That's a lonnnnnggggg training camp. 

Teams don't get to decide when to start camp. It's based on when your first preseason game is.

5 minutes ago, struby3 said:

Teams don't get to decide when to start camp. It's based on when your first preseason game is.

I think that applies for when veterans have to report but teams can start rookie training camp earlier. Both are reporting on the 26th for us. Some teams will have rookies reporting two or three days beforehand and some even a week beforehand. 

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think that applies for when veterans have to report but teams can start rookie training camp earlier. Both are reporting on the 26th for us. Some teams will have rookies reporting two or three days beforehand and some even a week beforehand. 

Ah yeah, good point. Rookies can report 7 days prior to vets. Wonder why Shanny isn't bringing in the rooks early.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Kind of done with the whole Gould situation at this point. 

We need him to come back for one more season, so that we can spend a third round pick next year on a 35 year old kicker from New Zealand