Official 2020 DL/EDGE Thread

CalhounLambeau

14 hours ago, NYGiantsman10 said:

What's the realistic range on YGM's stock? I'm guessing between 20 and 40. Trying to put together a mock and I'd like it to be rooted at least somewhat in reality xD

That's a good, if conservative, range. You never know with the draft but given his position and a relative lack of depth, I can imagine that he won't fall too far.

YGM might be the 2nd edge rusher off the board and imo he is the 2nd best edge rusher in this class. In a more stacked edge class he is probably a late 1st. In this class he could very well go in the teens. Really love watching his tape. He is an every down edge defender in the mold of Chandler Jones, with similar upside.

1 hour ago, Fullback said:

YGM might be the 2nd edge rusher off the board and imo he is the 2nd best edge rusher in this class. In a more stacked edge class he is probably a late 1st. In this class he could very well go in the teens. Really love watching his tape. He is an every down edge defender in the mold of Chandler Jones, with similar upside.

I would be kind of surprised if he wasn’t the 2nd DE off the board. Who else would go before him? K’Lavon Chaisson has a lot of love, but I’d go YGM before KLC. Less red flags with YGM. I don’t hate KLC, but YGM had put more on display in college. 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2020 at 7:46 PM, lark25 said:

Chase Young is great but I don’t know he will be as good a pro as the Bosa bros. He’s not a Myles Garrett prospect in terms of being an absolute freak.

Epenesa never really out produced Anthony Nelson who was more athletic and went in the 4th. I think in a weak class he goes early 2nd or maybe someone reaches but last year Epenesa should’ve been no better than a 3rd

First of all, I want to know your reasoning for him not being better than  the Bosas, and how do you quantify him not being better than Garrett when he did literally the same things Garrett did while he was at TAMU, he literally was beating guys around the corner whole they were still getting out of their stances. I'll give you my reasoning for Young being better than the Bosas, Young is a way better athlete that the Bosas ever was and is on the an even par with them technique wise, as well as being extreme disciplined in the run game. But I'm dying to hear your, theory

As far as the Epenesa part. You are flat our wrong, let me give you a little nugget. I was recently on a Zoom conference with Kelvin Bell who was his position coach at Iowa and he went as far to say he was twice the player Nelson was, also I was taken aback that he only preferred two moves for his guys (club arm over, and club s natch) which means he was already a natural pass rusher but he as a whole tool shed of moved he'll be exposed to at the next level. Meaning on an even deeper level, he was extremely proficient in his power game while at Iowa, and he will be exposed to a more refined finesse game which he'll become a more well rounded player.

On 3/28/2020 at 8:38 PM, Chrissooner49er said:

I suspect this may be one reason he bowed out. I have my doubts that he will be as good as the Bosas as well. He sure wasn't eager to prove himself. A true competitor would rise to the challenge instead of playing it safe. I hate playing it safe, especially in any aspect relating to football.

Do you realize that Nick Bosa flat out left the team after game 4 while they still had National Championship hopes to train for the draft?, and Young stayed and played every game with his teammates, that's what I call a guy truly vested in his teammates, and program...

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

As far as the Epenesa part. You are flat our wrong, let me give you a little nugget. I was recently on a Zoom conference with Kelvin Bell who was his position coach at Iowa and he went as far to say he was twice the player Nelson was, also I was taken aback that he only preferred two moves for his guys (club arm over, and club s natch) which means he was already a natural pass rusher but he as a whole tool shed of moved he'll be exposed to at the next level. Meaning on an even deeper level, he was extremely proficient in his power game while at Iowa, and he will be exposed to a more refined finesse game which he'll become a more well rounded player.

That's interesting. Did he explain why? Was it a feeling that if they focused on a couple moves that they could really master them, or did he not feel he had the time to develop broader move sets? Personally, I absolutely love the stab. It's such a versatile move and is absolutely devastating for a guy who can convert speed to power.

4 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

First of all, I want to know your reasoning for him not being better than  the Bosas, and how do you quantify him not being better than Garrett when he did literally the same things Garrett did while he was at TAMU, he literally was beating guys around the corner whole they were still getting out of their stances. I'll give you my reasoning for Young being better than the Bosas, Young is a way better athlete that the Bosas ever was and is on the an even par with them technique wise, as well as being extreme disciplined in the run game. But I'm dying to hear your, theory

Do you realize that Nick Bosa flat out left the team after game 4 while they still had National Championship hopes to train for the draft?, and Young stayed and played every game with his teammates, that's what I call a guy truly vested in his teammates, and program...

Chase young is probably the best edge rush prospect I've seen in the last 5-10 years and that's saying a lot. I liked both Bosas and Garrett a lot, but Young has the best of both IMO.

• Like 3

I’m not saying Young isn’t good I’m saying I’m not convinced he’s a great athlete. 

Also Epenesa might be good but he’s a below avg athlete at a position athleticism is at a premium. I don’t think he will be bad but I wouldn’t spend a first on a guy like that. Maybe somewhere in the 40s I’d be ok with.

Also even the bench was a concern for me. He can only do a couple more reps than me and I have like a 78” wingspan at <6ft and <200lb. I know the carryover to power is minimal but that’s concerning for a big power dude 

13 hours ago, Fullback said:

He is an every down edge defender in the mold of Chandler Jones, with similar upside.

He actually reminds me of Greg Hardy.  And I would rate him as the top edge rusher in this class ahead of Chase Young.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Chase young is probably the best edge rush prospect I've seen in the last 5-10 years and that's saying a lot. I liked both Bosas and Garrett a lot, but Young has the best of both IMO.

To think Chase Young is better than Myles Garrett is simply INSANE.  The difference in athleticism between the two is too vast to think they are comprable.

If most people think Chase Young is this good, then he might end up being one of the biggest busts in NFL history.  These exceptions are simply unrealistic for a guy with Chase Young's athletic profile. 

2 hours ago, VanS said:

If most people think Chase Young is this good, then he might end up being one of the biggest busts in NFL history.  These exceptions are simply unrealistic for a guy with Chase Young's athletic profile. 

You mean the guy who had a higher SPARQ rating than Garrett when they were both in high school?

• Like 7

14 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Do you think you have to hate the Bosas in order to like Young? That's the vibe I'm getting. Why? Because you entirely overlooked or dismissed (or have a selective memory) the core muscle surgery (sports hernia, rather painful!) he had to have after the 4th game That takes a minimum of 4-6 weeks to recover and he still would not have been his old self. By the time he would have been able to return, they were already out of title contention with that horrid loss to Purdue.

So yes, he did call it quits and prepare for the draft after an injury. Obviously, you don't like that. That's your prerogative. 

AND it's my prerogative to wonder why not do the Combine drills? The Bosa brothers did, Young did not. I wonder why? It may not be relevant, it might be. Only time will tell.