Official 2020 CB/S Thread

CalhounLambeau

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

The Raiders need a FS opposite of Abram. Who are some intriguing options? 

Joyner? Wasn’t he played in the slot a lot this year and it didn’t fair well. Or am I getting this backwards, he played FS a lot more than NCB and it didn’t go so well. 

Edited by Fureys49ers

1 hour ago, Fureys49ers said:

Joyner? Wasn’t he played in the slot a lot this year and it didn’t fair well. Or am I getting this backwards, he played FS a lot more than NCB and it didn’t go so well. 

According to reports we plan to keep Joyner as a nickel CB. 

28 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

According to reports we plan to keep Joyner as a nickel CB. 

How was is play there though? I thought I heard it was less than desirable and during his time with the Rams his move to more of a FS spot is where he really excelled.

3 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

How was is play there though? I thought I heard it was less than desirable and during his time with the Rams his move to more of a FS spot is where he really excelled.

IIRC he was an elite nickel CB with the Rams and then an above average FS. He was pretty bad last season for us in the slot but according to our beat writers we don't have any plans to move him. I don't think Gunther/Gruden like smaller safeties, which is one of the reasons we're moving on from Karl Joseph. 

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

IIRC he was an elite nickel CB with the Rams and then an above average FS. He was pretty bad last season for us in the slot but according to our beat writers we don't have any plans to move him. I don't think Gunther/Gruden like smaller safeties, which is one of the reasons we're moving on from Karl Joseph. 

Very possible, in regards to Joyner on the Rams. I can’t seem to recall one way or the other, I do know he’s floated between the two spots often though. 

With the dislike of smaller safeties note however I could understand keeping him at NCB. A lot of money for one who’s not all that effective at it but that’s neither here nor there.

Anthony Harris from Vikings would make sense to pair with a young Abrams at SS. 

Edited by Fureys49ers

17 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Very possible, in regards to Joyner on the Rams. I can’t seem to recall one way or the other, I do know he’s floated between the two spots often though. 

With the dislike of smaller safeties note however I could understand keeping him at NCB. A lot of money for one who’s not all that effective at it but that’s neither here nor there.

Anthony Harris from Vikings would make sense to pair with a young Abrams at SS. 

I think how free agency and the draft play out will definitely have a big effect on where we play our personnel. But even last season when we had the worst starting safety duo in the league with Curtis Riley and Erik Harris we refused to play Joyner at FS. 

If I were the Raiders I'd hand Byron Jones, Anthony Harris, and Cory Littleton blank checks and sign whichever 2/3 commit first. 

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

His 2017 year he played very well as FS for the Rams, then dropped off a bit on the tag in 2018. The Rams tried Joyner as a nickel guy early in his career but his best play came as a safety.

10 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Joyner's best play came at safety. But he's a bit of an odd one. He's a good nickel CB, but he struggles with his back to the football and can be a bit grabby. As a safety, he doesn't track the ball well from center field. He's at his best in more of a box role or as a C-2 safety. He's just a weird player. He's basically a hybrid NCB/LB/S, but he doesn't really fit perfectly at any of the three positions. Odd player, but he can be effective if utilized correctly.

• Like 1

How good is Jeff Okudah?  I skimmed through the beginning of the thread and nobody even mentioned him until like around page 6 or 7.  Is he kind of like Joe Burrow in the respect that he wasn't touted as an elite (I see the guy at #3 overall pick in most mocks I look at) prospect, but he played great during the season to propel his way there?

Just now, showtime said:

How good is Jeff Okudah?  I skimmed through the beginning of the thread and nobody even mentioned him until like around page 6 or 7.  Is he kind of like Joe Burrow in the respect that he wasn't touted as an elite (I see the guy at #3 overall pick in most mocks I look at) prospect, but he played great during the season to propel his way there?

Anyone who didn't have Okudah as a rd 1 guy coming into the year wasn't paying attention.  Top 15 really.  His play this year just cemented him as CB1 and a top 5 pick.  He had stuff to clean up from his sophomore year, and he did that and more.

4 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Anyone who didn't have Okudah as a rd 1 guy coming into the year wasn't paying attention.  Top 15 really.  His play this year just cemented him as CB1 and a top 5 pick.  He had stuff to clean up from his sophomore year, and he did that and more.

How rare is it for a CB to be drafted in the top three, though?  From what I can recall, it's pretty rare.  I know all drafts are not considered equal and there are other circumstances that go into things, but that's one of the things that sticks out about a lot of mock drafts I'm seeing.  Okudah as a top three pick is very common.