The Mass Exodus (cuts to 53)

CaliforniaKid7

1 minute ago, Rich7sena said:

Moot. Fine. Calhoun is gone so that's what I care about. 

There haven't been any major losses, but there are a small amount of guys who showed out a bit and went on to be role players. That's not exactly the angle that worries me, it's a lingering  propensity to hold on to guys not worth keeping and who are being overvalued here. And who don't fit well.

Just now, holyghost said:

Moot. Fine. Calhoun is gone so that's what I care about. 

There haven't been any major losses, but there are a small amount of guys who showed out a bit and went on to be role players. That's not exactly the angle that worries me, it's a lingering  propensity to hold on to guys not worth keeping and who are being overvalued here. And who don't fit well.

Which players are you talking about? What players should we have kept in their place? The fact is the Raiders don't have a particularly talented roster on defense - that's the real problem.

2 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Yeah it does, you said Lewis was beat out by Calhoun, he wasn't. 

Ok, I did say that. I also made quite a few other points most of which focused on Calhoun's shortcomings irrespective of Lewis and anything he was or did here. ANd I'm definitely glad they saw what was clear, that Calhoun did not show any progression or ability to play the pro game

1 minute ago, holyghost said:

Ok, I did say that. I also made quite a few other points most of which focused on Calhoun's shortcomings irrespective of Lewis and anything he was or did here. ANd I'm definitely glad they saw what was clear, that Calhoun did not show any progression or ability to play the pro game

Hardly groundbreaking given that he's just been cut. 

3 hours ago, holyghost said:

To add, and add more evidence, I feel the same currently about Silbermann.

I like Silberman too, but it was a huge long shot for him to make the team. Feliciano works as a swing interior lineman and can serve as a backup center within that role. Silberman did a lot to get a good look there, but ultimately it didn't seem prudent to keep a guy as backup center when the swing interior guy was better at the guard spots and close enough at center for it to work. Especially when there is an interesting Tackle prospect in Ware. Hope he can stick somewhere cause I really respect what he's done as a Raider, but the numbers just didn't go his way.

2 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Which players are you talking about? What players should we have kept in their place? The fact is the Raiders don't have a particularly talented roster on defense - that's the real problem.

I don't want to make a thread over it, because none of them are major. No greater losses or "mistakes" than any other team. That's not at all what my points have centered around.

1 minute ago, Dessie said:

Hardly groundbreaking given that he's just been cut. 

Why are a couple of you guys so committed to making arguments? I wrote it before he was cut, and made no claims about anything I say being "groundbreaking".

1 minute ago, Trojan said:

Valles wasn't cut last year he was put on the Practice Squad and the Bills signed him from our PS to their 53.

Yes I know. But he was cut from the active roster. People were mad about that like he was the next great pass rusher. Or should i say waived. Either way, doesn't matter. 

34 minutes ago, holyghost said:

I don't want to make a thread over it, because none of them are major. No greater losses or "mistakes" than any other team. That's not at all what my points have centered around.

Why are a couple of you guys so committed to making arguments? I wrote it before he was cut, and made no claims about anything I say being "groundbreaking".

"This staff does this, repetitively. They preach competition, preach overlooking draft status."

You certainly made a point of saying the staff repeatedly ignores competition in favor of draft status. If this isn't a major issue, why bring it up? In fact, I'd say the Raiders have had a pretty good track record in rewarding guys who showed out in TC and the preseason (Latham, Autry, McGee, Richard) and moving on from those who don't (Tyler Wilson). Again, the real issue is not the Raiders are letting the right guys go and sticking with the wrong guys, it's that the majority of the defensive roster is made up of the wrong guys. Enough people on this forum have criticized the offseason the Raiders had, and even picks from a year ago (Jihad Ward). 

The fact that the staff was able to let go of a 3rd round pick in Calhoun shows there is honesty in the building about the defensive roster. Hopefully it serves as somewhat of a wakeup call for both the team and fans, alike. 

1 minute ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

i think we'll see a veteran LB brought in the next few days 

+1.  After analyzing most of our cuts, that's the impression I get too.  And CB.

Or maybe we're really committing to this Nickel Moneybacker role.  We've had Smith and Obi there in preseason.  Morrow would be a great fit there too.  Put James/Adams at MIKE in Nickel and have a mix of those 2 and Lee in base.  We are seemingly strong alright at S too.  Even if Obi is playing LB in nickel, we can have Reggie Nelson, Karl Joseph, and Shalom Luani be a solid maybe passable group of safeties in those packages.

13 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

+1.  After analyzing most of our cuts, that's the impression I get too.  And CB.

Or maybe we're really committing to this Nickel Moneybacker role.  We've had Smith and Obi there in preseason.  Morrow would be a great fit there too.  Put James/Adams at MIKE in Nickel and have a mix of those 2 and Lee in base.  We are seemingly strong alright at S too.  Even if Obi is playing LB in nickel, we can have Reggie Nelson, Karl Joseph, and Shalom Luani be a solid maybe passable group of safeties in those packages.

Yeah no surprising names cut at LB or DB yet. 

Ben Boulware (lol), Akeem Ayers, Paul Dawson, TJ Ward (moneybacker?), Sean Spence, Elijah Lee, Michael Mauti, Connor Harris, Zach Vigil. 

Ward, Elijah Lee, and Connor Harris interest me the most. 

Archived