The Mass Exodus (cuts to 53)

CaliforniaKid7

1 hour ago, Dessie said:

Mike Morgan LB from the Seahawks would be worth a look I think. Familiar with Norton. 

He could be an option. Not a lot to be excited about out there.

ILB: Kelvin Sheppard/Sean Spence/Justin March-Lillard

OLB/LEO: Cam Johnson, Akeem Ayers

And i guess Rubin could be worth a look to rotate with Ellis.

Also about our current situation on D and specifically at LB, it has a lot to do with our awful drafting at the position. We're objectively weak there (outside of Mack/Irvin) and the players we've drafted recently (Heeney, Ball, Valles, Calhoun) couldn't even stick on the roster. We're struggling with communication on D and that's what you expect the MIKE to help with. We're consistently changing our MIKE and it can't help.

11 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

No amount of anything will ever make @big_palooka happy.  He's happy being miserable. :D

BP brings the level headedness, which I always have respected.  Although I am curious what he thinks of the roster moves himself.

No real surprises to me. Even Calhoun didn't surprise given he's been a nobody. Good to see the staff admit mistake and move on. I am disappointed going back to FA and the draft that they refuse to address the LB position. Thinking Lee a limited prospect taken in round 5 could "win" the job was misguided. 

DLine - Young w/ potential. I have to believe Mario rounds back into form in time. Really excited to see if Hester can continue his growth. Vanderdoes is exciting. It's going to take a couple years before it fires on all cylinders I'm guessing for the group as a whole.

CB/S - Really hope Conley excels, they need him. Obi... wasn't as high as some on him,  but he looked good in limited action. Luani is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. He's a dog who's going to go to work and bring it for you. Like the Dline... potential, but growth is needed.

Others...Lewis was a good story (likely makes PS) but a couple plays don't make up for what the staff saw in TC everyday. Borders is the opposite. Practiced well, got some hype but was beaten up the last 2 games in coverage while Hamilton drank his milkshake.

Offense looks great. Newhouse at RT gives me some pause (because he's sucked everywhere else), but happy with the Oline depth. Cook, Patterson, Lynch add a new dimension. backup QB is barely an upgrade over McGloin. Would have liked to seen Brent on the roster, he looks like a guy who can play. PS player maybe?

All in all.... just disappointed in the LB spot. They choose a CB who slid in the draft over a ILB who slid in the draft. Time will tell. Both were big needs. Trusting Lee to be something you can start out day 1 was a joke. Not having a real backup plan.... a bigger joke. 

2017 outlook.... team will go as far as the offense can take them. Talking shades of the Saints here. Need to score 30+ to win games with this defense. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Others...Lewis was a good story (likely makes PS) but a couple plays don't make up for what the staff saw in TC everyday. Borders is the opposite. Practiced well, got some hype but was beaten up the last 2 games in coverage while Hamilton drank his milkshake.

2017 outlook.... team will go as far as the offense can take them. Talking shades of the Saints here. Need to score 30+ to win games with this defense. 

I'm glad you made this point. There has been a lot of hand wringing over his cut, and I do get it, just thought that there was some overhype going on with him. He's an interesting player to have around, and would be great to stash on PS, but kinda came out of nowhere to make those plays. One of the beat writers (seems like a Tafur comment) even observed that he had not said LaTroy Lewis's name before the two sack game. But kudos to him for showing out in the games and making a case for himself to stick somewhere in the league, 53 man or otherwise.

2 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I was a big fan of Calhoun coming out of Michigan State. Why didn't he stick around for you guys? Haven't seen any Raiders preseason games. If my Giants weren't already stacked at DE, I'd be pounding the table to sign him. 

I can't speak for this preseason since i didn't watch any of it but he didn't show anything in his rookie season and it was probably more of the same in TC. They only kept one backup in Cowser behind Mack and Irvin so Calhoun didn't even get beat out by anybody, they just moved on quickly from a draft mistake.

31 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I was a big fan of Calhoun coming out of Michigan State. Why didn't he stick around for you guys? Haven't seen any Raiders preseason games. If my Giants weren't already stacked at DE, I'd be pounding the table to sign him. 

He showed out so little. He's washed out of run plays constantly with no physicality. No concept of setting a firm edge or holding a spot, no fight. In pass rush he doesn't have the speed for the outer edge or the brute physicality for power moves. So it's a case of where the guy has no role and nothing he can execute well. I recall watching a college guy with refined moves and wondered why it hasn't showed up. Those moves are useless if you are ready to be quietly bullied every play. That's at least what I saw, a sort of anti-Mack. He just gets pushed all over the place or held still so easily.

6 hours ago, mct288 said:

I'm glad you made this point. There has been a lot of hand wringing over his cut, and I do get it, just thought that there was some overhype going on with him. He's an interesting player to have around, and would be great to stash on PS, but kinda came out of nowhere to make those plays. One of the beat writers (seems like a Tafur comment) even observed that he had not said LaTroy Lewis's name before the two sack game. But kudos to him for showing out in the games and making a case for himself to stick somewhere in the league, 53 man or otherwise.

I mean.  We have 3 edge rushers on our roster now.  3.  Our only rusher after our starters is James Cowser.  Not to be rude but please tell me how waving Lewis was the right move.  Sure, other teams made cuts too but Lewis was a gamer.  He might not pan out to be anything at all, but we need more than the rushers we have.  And Calhoun wasn't good enough either.  Maybe Lewis was competing against Cowser at the same position like a few other posters said, but is no one else super concerned with our pass rusher depth?  It feels like we got weaker after preseason at CB, LB, and now Edge Rusher too.  At least the overall impression is. And its not like we were a good defense to begin with.

BP is right.  Barring a surprise, we're probably the new Saints.

Archived