2019 Trade Deadline/Rumors

BullsandBroncos

18 hours ago, Forge said:

Fox was traded to the Rays in the Matt Moore deal, I believe (with Duffy)

Smith came over for Bickford and Susac. 

What an amazing deal that was with the Brewers 

What a horrendous deal that was with the Rays

18 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I wonder if the Twins are actually going to do anything this year or if the Pohlad's are going to sit on their wallets like they usually do this (and every other) time of the year.  :/

They are showing interest in Madbum, and given that they are not on his no trade list, it's a very possible match. 

9 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

When you lose Goldschmidt, Pollock and Corbin and have the #2 run/diff in the NL.

Meanwhile the Mets literally traded for a closer and spent the entire off-season signing relief pitching and have the worst bullpen in the league and 22 blown saves while only being 5 games out of the playoffs.

Baseball everybody!

11 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Meanwhile the Mets literally traded for a closer and spent the entire off-season signing relief pitching and have the worst bullpen in the league and 22 blown saves while only being 5 games out of the playoffs.

Baseball everybody!

Kelenic has been more valuable at the MLB level than Diaz/Cano combined.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Kelenic has been more valuable at the MLB level than Diaz/Cano combined.

Cano's best days in the field are well in the rear view mirror. Pretty much out of sight in fact. I read somewhere that the Met FO was counting on the DH rule being adopted by the NL - so they could pull him off the field. Since the Mets will be paying Cano 24M a year till age 40 in year 2023 I presume that could still happen.

8 hours ago, Forge said:

Would something like Balazovic + Rooker be too much in return for madbum from the twins? Just curious on where my target line should be for return if he's traded and I don't really know prospect values all that well

That actually seems pretty fair to me.  

• Like 1

On 7/18/2019 at 1:46 AM, Thelonebillsfan said:

Baseball everybody!

Anthony Swarzek w/ the Braves

19.1 IP, 10.24 K/9, 0.47 ERA, 2.70 FIP, 0.6 WAR

22 hours ago, Forge said:

Interesting call is right.

No denying SF is on fire at the moment. Is it sustainable? That I cant say as I dont know their roster well enough. They're 15 out of the division race for a reason (or reasons...) - largest being the LAD are leading it - but only 2 out of the WC. If they trade MadBum......will that deflate the team and take some of the steam out of them? He's developed into "mascot levels." You think SF and he's who comes to mind first. Do they have the talent to fill in for him and keep it going?

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Interesting call is right.

No denying SF is on fire at the moment. Is it sustainable? That I cant say as I dont know their roster well enough. They're 15 out of the division race for a reason (or reasons...) - largest being the LAD are leading it - but only 2 out of the WC. If they trade MadBum......will that deflate the team and take some of the steam out of them? He's developed into "mascot levels." You think SF and he's who comes to mind first. Do they have the talent to fill in for him and keep it going?

Honestly, this team shouldn't be pushing to contend this year. They could theoretically win a WC spot, but I feel like even that is actually a long shot. There's no reason to buy at the deadline just to lose a WC game or something. They aren't winning a world series with this roster, and the top of the prospect pipeline is pretty weak (we do have a much improved farm system, but our top guys are in the lower levels and probably 2 years away or more in some cases). 

I don't think that its a bad thing to sell off the parts. I mean, I'm not counting on guys like Yaz and Dickerson to keep up what they are doing, and I think it's optimistic thinking to think that they will over the long haul. It's a nice story right now, and Giants baseball has been fun for the first time in a while over the last 6 weeks, but this is still a non-contending team. 

With that being said, I actually would understand if they keep Madbum if they are getting lowballed. Any offer they take probably has to be worth more than the QO compensation that they are going to get. If he finishes the year with the Giants, there is no way that they don't give him the QO before next season. So there's a part of me that understands that particular hold if they decide to do it. But I don't think that they are qualifying Will Smith. Tony Watson has another year left on his deal (though he has a player option) and Sam Dyson has one more Arb year left. The relievers should be moved at the very least, and I do think that we have the arms that can come up and do a reasonable job to somewhat keep that part of the team up after a sell off. Madbum would be much harder to replace. 

Personally, I'd love to move a few more pieces too. I'd eat some of Brandon Belt's salary (even though I don't think the contract is particularly onerous for the most part, maybe just a year long) to move him. I think he'd benefit from getting away from the Bay, and a team like Texas could probably use him. Pablo has been weirdly pretty solid this year, and if a team wanted a surplus bat off the bench and rotational type guy, I think he's a guy that wouldn't be a horrific acquisition at a relatively low cost. 

• Like 1