Green Bay Packers 2019 Offensive Line

Shanedorf

8 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Yes, although there have been missteps, when I look at the overall body of work, I find it very encouraging. I've had a very good feeling about this team, going back to when the Smiths and other FAs were signed, followed by what looked like a good draft.

I was excited, but apprehensive.

Rarely does "winning" free agency equate to real wins in the league.

But, it sure looked like GB chose guys in the prime of their careers who still had upside.

Draft wise?  I'm still in the "wait and see" concerning Gary and Savage.  Only Savage has definitively proved me wrong so far.  Amazing is how I"d rate him.  Gary?  Knew it would take time.  I guess I feel like he's a much harder worker than I thought.  And I feel like that hard work is gonna pay off.  Just going to take a year or so with him.  I liked his effort the last game and feel like he's gonna get better with more NFL reps.

But, back to your "good feeling", mine wasn't as good.  And I"m very pleasantly surprised right now.

Dad called the other day, asked how I felt about being 3-0.  Told him I didn't think we'd see three wins before game number 8.  So yah, thrilled.

16 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Did light hold his own yesterday? I didn't see his name get called too much after he came in.

Idk if I'd say that. If there was pressure it was coming from his side. I'll have to rewatch for the finer details.. rodgers definitely wasnt hangin out in the pocket though.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2019 at 7:15 PM, Gopackgonerd said:

Did light hold his own yesterday? I didn't see his name get called too much after he came in.

You know?  I'd say that he performed as you would expect he would.  He won some, he lost some and he stalemated some.

He wasn't nearly as bad as Spriggs when Spriggs would go into a game cold, so I was happy.

He also wasn't anywhere near as solid as Bulaga.

I have no doubt that he will be ready for Dallas, if he's getting starters reps in practice.  Quinn and Lawrence are just better athletes than he is, though, so MLF had better scheme up some protections.

You know, ones that DOES NOT INCLUDE AN OLD A$$ TIGHT END RUNNING ACROSS THE FORMATION TO BLOCK AN UNBLOCKED END WHO IS CHASING THE PLAY.

God our coach does some creatively stupid stuff with protection.

12 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

You know?  I'd say that he performed as you would expect he would.  He won some, he lost some and he stalemated some.

He wasn't nearly as bad as Spriggs when Spriggs would go into a game cold, so I was happy.

He also wasn't anywhere near as solid as Bulaga.

I have no doubt that he will be ready for Dallas, if he's getting starters reps in practice.  Quinn and Lawrence are just better athletes than he is, though, so MLF had better scheme up some protections.

You know, ones that DOES NOT INCLUDE AN OLD A$$ TIGHT END RUNNING ACROSS THE FORMATION TO BLOCK AN UNBLOCKED END WHO IS CHASING THE PLAY.

God our coach does some creatively stupid stuff with protection.

I will say this, it seems he gives more help to his tackles than MM ever did. But ya that one slow shot play was a bad playcall all together.

1 hour ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I will say this, it seems he gives more help to his tackles than MM ever did. But ya that one slow shot play was a bad playcall all together.

Creatively stupid is no way to call a game.

He's shown that creative stupidness in 2 games now.  And it needs to stop.  Jimmy Graham should never block Danielle Hunter 1:1.  Marcedez Lewis should never have to run across the formation, after the snap, to block an unblocked Barnett or any other defensive end.

I like that he protects his tackles.  But sometimes, he puts guys in a position where they can't win.  And that has to stop.

We are on the verge of doing some really good things and then whammo, here comes an awful play call.  Or a penalty.  This offense isn't good enough to overcome a poor call or two within a series, let alone a penalty.

51 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Creatively stupid is no way to call a game.

He's shown that creative stupidness in 2 games now.  And it needs to stop.  Jimmy Graham should never block Danielle Hunter 1:1.  Marcedez Lewis should never have to run across the formation, after the snap, to block an unblocked Barnett or any other defensive end.

In the article at the Athletic from Ben Fennell, they detail how/why the Packers run defense got beaten by the Eagles. Oneof the tactics they highlight is that the Eagles use their TEs on wham blocks vs DTs ( not DE's) which allows their OGs to get to the 2nd level and take on the SS and ILBs

Whammed!

The Eagles used their staple “wham” scheme to get their tight ends advantageous angle blocks on defensive tackles and their offensive linemen up to the second level on smaller defenders.

The exchange of assignments can put stress on a TE’s ability to block a bigger, strong DT, but the angle of the block and the downhill attack make it feasible. TE Dallas Goedert comes in late motion to seal off Tyler Lancaster and then Dean Lowry. This allows for the offensive linemen to release to the linebackers and safeties.

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2019/09/29200425/1-WHAM_1.mp4

19 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

In the article at the Athletic from Ben Fennell, they detail how/why the Packers run defense got beaten by the Eagles. Oneof the tactics they highlight is that the Eagles use their TEs on wham blocks vs DTs ( not DE's) which allows their OGs to get to the 2nd level and take on the SS and ILBs

Whammed!

The Eagles used their staple “wham” scheme to get their tight ends advantageous angle blocks on defensive tackles and their offensive linemen up to the second level on smaller defenders.

The exchange of assignments can put stress on a TE’s ability to block a bigger, strong DT, but the angle of the block and the downhill attack make it feasible. TE Dallas Goedert comes in late motion to seal off Tyler Lancaster and then Dean Lowry. This allows for the offensive linemen to release to the linebackers and safeties.

They "wham" on passing plays?  Especially ones that turn the QB's blind side to an unblocked end that is supposed to be intercepted and blocked by an old, slow tight end, in space?

I don't care what any one wishes to say.  Asking Jimmy Graham to pass block Hunter, 1:1 is stupid.

Asking Marcedes Lewis to come across the formation, on a roll out, and block and unblocked Barnett, in space, is stupid.

Our new coach sometimes outhinks himself.  What often can look good on paper is a mistake on grass.

Now....

You want to put Tonyan in motion on a running play and wham a DT to the inside a yard or two?  By all means.  It especially helps if the DL is slanting inside so make that wham look so much better, as I think was the case on the Goedert "wham" that the internet is in love with.  Actually Lowry was awful on that play.  No real slant, just him standing up when unblocked.  Looked like he went inside, but no, he just got really high when he wasn't blocked.

You want to ask Tonyan to run 10 yards and block an unblocked DE with nothing but space all around him?  God no.  Unless you really want to see Boyle play QB.

Edited by vegas492

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Whammed!

• Like 1