Green Bay Packers 2019 Offensive Line

Shanedorf

4 hours ago, Norm said:

PFF gave Linsley a +50.5 for that great play.

Wait, ****. Now we're going to argue for a week if that was a "Great" play.

We shall call it "Gary's Law" in which we must spend no more than 50 pages deciding if a insignificant play is great or not if said play is posted via twitter video. 

• Like 5

If Taylor rights the ship by week 6, assuming the staff thinks it's time for Turner to be brought on, do you dangle him for trade? Light I would assume could handle the backup G/T slot. Cole also made the roster for whatever reason. Sittin pretty heavy at G.

Do you make the trade or keep the insurance? What's the comp you would take?

Edited by HighCalebR

4 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

If Taylor rights the ship by week 6, assuming the staff thinks it's time for Turner to be brought on, do you dangle him for trade? Light I would assume could handle the backup G/T slot. Cole also made the roster for whatever reason. Sittin pretty heavy at G.

Do you make the trade or keep the insurance? What's the comp you would take?

I think the trade value would be pretty low, even if he bounced back to 2017 form of being a middling OG. 

If losing that production in FA, that’d only net you a 6th or 7th rnd compensatory pick. Not sure what that translates to for a mid-season trade with 1.5 yr left on the deal.

Doesn’t save you much monetarily. It only shaves off maybe 35% of his 2019 cap to trade/release in wk 6 (not counting the dead 2020 money that accelerates). So if money is what you’re after, there isn’t much difference between trading him now & cutting him after the season. 

So it’d be like $1.9m cap savings & a 6th/7th. I think I’d just keep for insurance.

Edited by TransientTexan
math

18 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

I think the trade value would be pretty low, even if he bounced back to 2017 form of being a middling OG. 

If losing that production in FA, that’d only net you a 6th or 7th rnd compensatory pick. Not sure what that translates to for a mid-season trade with 1.5 yr left on the deal.

Doesn’t save you much monetarily. It only shaves off maybe 30% of his 2019 cap to trade/release in wk 6 (not counting the dead 2020 money that accelerates). So if money is what you’re after, there isn’t much difference between trading him now & cutting him after the season. 

So it’d be like $1.6m cap savings & a 6th/7th. I think I’d just keep for insurance.

Middling OG is better than half the leagues G's. If I could swing a late 4th - early 6th I jump all over it. Maybe player for player. If we can't get that I'm cool with sitting on it.

I'm really not worried about the money aspect. I'm thinking, we have a surplus here, Lane's value is as high as we can get it, move on it. Something to Carolina or Houston maybe, he'd be a fit to QB's who are often under duress.

Lane won't make it on the roster long enough to net a comp pick, this is literally his last window to get a return.

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

Middling OG is better than half the leagues G's. If I could swing a late 4th - early 6th I jump all over it. Maybe player for player. If we can't get that I'm cool with sitting on it.

I'm really not worried about the money aspect. I'm thinking, we have a surplus here, Lane's value is as high as we can get it, move on it. Something to Carolina or Houston maybe, he'd be a fit to QB's who are often under duress.

Lane won't make it on the roster long enough to net a comp pick, this is literally his last window to get a return.

well, yea, that is not really a revelation. middling OG's make about $3.5m AAV. that should tell you the league's valuation of them. I agree, if someone offers a 4th, that's tempting, but I just don't think anyone is going to offer even close to that. 

I agree he's not going to net a compensatory pick, regardless of where he's at. That wasn't the point of bringing it up. 

I'm willing to risk not getting the return of a 6th/7th rnd pick in order to have some more depth this year while the rookie gets broken in. I'm not comfortable with either Cole or Light. As @AlexGreen#20 has been mentioning, which year are we going to start going "all-in"? Do we still need to be trying to get cute & trying to moneyball the roster over such minimal returns?