Packers Training Camp 2019

packfanfb

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

Except all the live practice reps are doing the same thing for him. Hes missing literally 1 or 2 series per game. Like 10 passing downs total. I dont think it's much of a hindrance.

I don't see practice reps as equivalent to gameday action. Besides that, is no game time wise with a new head coach + new position coaches + new coordinator + new scheme + new playbook + young receivers, some of whom will get significant snaps this year + all the subtle differences that are there in a real game (even a preseason one) compared to practice.

The number one offense (including Rodgers) needs all the reps it can get to sharpen up AS A UNIT. He still won't get that many as this is prime-time to evaluate who gets to stay on the roster, but he needs some.

I'm with @Chili  on this. (good smiley, btw)

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

38 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I don't see practice reps as equivalent to gameday action. Besides that, is no game time wise with a new head coach + new position coaches + new coordinator + new scheme + new playbook + young receivers, some of whom will get significant snaps this year + all the subtle differences that are there in a real game (even a preseason one) compared to practice.

The number one offense (including Rodgers) needs all the reps it can get to sharpen up AS A UNIT. He still won't get that many as this is prime-time to evaluate who gets to stay on the roster, but he needs some.

How many series do you think he'd play?? Basically you're saying you think Guenther and Crennel are just head and shoulders better than Pettine at giving Rodgers vanilla looks to throw against. Are the oakland DBs really that much better than ours? Houston's backups better than our starters?

Again, he was going to see maybe 10 passing downs a game at most. I know it sounds detrimental but theres a reason basically the whole league is ok with ditching the games.

51 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I wonder how many weeks in the regular season it takes to make up for 10ish vanilla offense reps that were missed in wk1 preseason game.

Playing a series or 2 in preseason vs vanilla defenses isn't gonna do much for the offense other than expose them to unnecessary hits in a useless environment. The fact of the matter is that the offense is gonna have its struggles to start the year because it's a new system with a new coach. The defense will have to pull its weight early in the year as the offense figures things out. Considering the amount of resources they poured into the defense this offseason, that's a task you'd hope they'd be up to

How exactly would Rodgers get into any kind of a rhythm when he would play, what, the equivalent of not even one full quarter across two or three preseason games? Unless you are naive enough to think he'd suddenly be playing a quarter or even a whole half each preseason game. Which, well, LOL at you then. 

He's learned the system and such in the off season and now camp. Bring on da Bears. 

23 minutes ago, HyponGrey said:

This is something that never ceases to amaze me. Everyone complains about tackling (literally everyone all over the league) then wants to cut two 4 hour tackling sessions from the calendar because they're "boring."

I'd say it still helps the rooks more than the vets. If a vet is having problems tackling a couple games isnt going to change that fact.

16 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

I dont care what the route is, i dont care if its one throw. 

I want to see Rodgers hit a tightly covered receiver in stride, then I will be content with him sitting until the season starts

Go to a practice, you'll see it. Rodgers knows how meaningless the PS is. He'd treat it like practice. You cant be satiated until the reps are hot.

52 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

Playing a series or 2 in preseason vs vanilla defenses isn't gonna do much for the offense other than expose them to unnecessary hits in a useless environment. The fact of the matter is that the offense is gonna have its struggles to start the year because it's a new system with a new coach. The defense will have to pull its weight early in the year as the offense figures things out. Considering the amount of resources they poured into the defense this offseason, that's a task you'd hope they'd be up to

I look at it the way players deep on the roster do. Every rep, every single rep Rodgers gets in preseason is valuable. I simply don't accept that it doesn't matter if he plays no snaps in preseason. I know he won't play a ton, preseason is mostly about evaluating who makes the team and what the heirarchy will be, but he should take every chance he has for all the reasons that I set out in the earlier post. We have seen slow starts by the offense in the past, let us hope we can avoid that this year. Sure players like Rodgers get blase about reps as they get older, The older version of Favre never liked preseason and practice, but not liking it didn't mean it wasn't good for him.

2 hours ago, HyponGrey said:

This is something that never ceases to amaze me. Everyone complains about tackling (literally everyone all over the league) then wants to cut two 4 hour tackling sessions from the calendar because they're "boring."

Are you suggesting the starting defense tackling will somehow benefit by watching the reserves play these past 2 PS games?