2019 WR Corps

incognito_man

If you had to pick one  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you pick?

Man there is some weird takes out there.  Whether IRing him was the right move or not (almost certainly not), none of that has anything to do with his talent level.  He had 1st round physical talent and a nice rookie year.  Because he had an up and down camp people think he was a cut candidate?  NOT A CHANCE.  That's absolute lunacy.  It's OK to just say that move was a mistake.

• Like 9

Boy now he's an all pro?  1st round ability?  Wow after the draft you were all bagging on him because he was a 6th round pick.  Please I watched him play last year.  For a rookie he was maybe a little more than JAG.  He's a developmental prospect.  Does he have potential sure he does.  That's why the Packers IR'd him.  But hey all you guys are smarter than the GM ,front office, and medical staff.  I didn't like seeing it either but the kid tore up his ankle good and wasn't having a strong camp.  Funny I didn't see any of you crying about him going on IR  when it happened.  Now we are down a few receivers and you are all with the benefit of hindsight whining about it.  Where were you then Bob?  Alex?  Yah that's what I thought.  Nothing but crickets when it happened.  Oh and there was buzz around him getting released.  He's a promising prospect that's why the Pack put him on injured reserve.  He'll get another shot next year.  I don't take kindly to insults.  Cultist?  Please show some respect for other points of view.

1 minute ago, Scoremore said:

Boy now he's an all pro?  1st round ability?  Wow after the draft you were all bagging on him because he was a 6th round pick.  Please I watched him play last year.  For a rookie he was maybe a little more than JAG.  He's a developmental prospect.  Does he have potential sure he does.  That's why the Packers IR'd him.  But hey all you guys are smarter than the GM ,front office, and medical staff.  I didn't like seeing it either but the kid tore up his ankle good and wasn't having a strong camp.  Funny I didn't see any of you crying about him going on IR  when it happened.  Now we are down a few receivers and you are all with the benefit of hindsight whining about it.  Where were you then Bob?  Alex?  Yah that's what I thought.  Nothing but crickets when it happened.  Oh and there was buzz around him getting released.  He's a promising prospect that's why the Pack put him on injured reserve.  He'll get another shot next year.  I don't take kindly to insults.  Cultist?  Please show some respect for other points of view.

He was having a fine camp. Nobody who was slated for the roster was getting much field time or accomplishing much - other than hopefully making it thru w/o injury. He didnt need to "prove himself" IMO.

I commented about it at the time. Clearly. There's no "hindsight whining" about it. I was really hopeful he was (and could) contribute to us this year and considered his IR'ing as a loss - but necessary due to injury - which I considered greater than just the high ankle sprain.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

He was having a fine camp. Nobody who was slated for the roster was getting much field time or accomplishing much - other than hopefully making it thru w/o injury. He didnt need to "prove himself" IMO.

I commented about it at the time. Clearly. There's no "hindsight whining" about it. I was really hopeful he was (and could) contribute to us this year and considered his IR'ing as a loss - but necessary due to injury - which I considered greater than just the high ankle sprain.

Well ding ding ding...that's the correct answer.  I was bummed too but their is a reason they put him on IR.  Alex and Bob are whining calling it a clear mistake without firsthand knowledge of the injury and quoting USA today and a 6 week recovery.  Not directed at you Leader.  Also will disagree about him having a strong camp he wasn't for whatever reason.  If healthy he would have made the team over Kumerow anyway.  I'd rather have EQ Is what it is.  Just defending the organization against baseless attacks and people who suddenly know more than the Packers medical staff.  We'll never know the extent of his injury unless he isn't fully healed by mini camp.  

• Like 1

Just now, Scoremore said:

Well ding ding ding...that's the correct answer.  I was bummed too but their is a reason they put him on IR. 

Yes - and if his injury WAS just a high ankle sprain - I think the team erred in sitting him for the season. Thats my entire point.
As stated from the get go - I'm uncertain of the extent of injury and presume it greater than just the sprain given the teams decision.

Our WR corp wasnt so daunting that your gonna sit EQ unless you have to IMO. 

Sheppard? Lazard? Kumerow? Huh? You're gonna sit EQ (based on some talent eval) over that unproven lot?

I NEVER wish a player ill so I'll be pulling for each of the above to kick *** - but I would really like to have had EQ somewhere along the way. 

38 minutes ago, deathstar said:

EQ would be nice right now. Wonder what that injury was, though. 

Would be interesting to know how close EQ is to 100% right now.  Seemed odd the way the team decided to put him on the shelf for the year rather than keep him eligible to return.

56 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Boy now he's an all pro?  1st round ability?  Wow after the draft you were all bagging on him because he was a 6th round pick.  Please I watched him play last year.  For a rookie he was maybe a little more than JAG.  

He was considerably better than a  rookie JAG... Rookie JAGs don't average over 15 yds a catch on over twenty receptions.

How about this for a WR option.  

LAR sends Robert Woods

GB sends Josh Jackson + 2020 3rd round pick.  

Contract info below for Woods.  Not sure why the cap implications titles are not showing up in dark text font.  If you highlight over it you can see the titles.  

LAR saves $7M for 2019 and eats 2.3M in 2020.  WOuld help to free up some $$ for them to sign Ramsey.  They have Kupp, Cooks and Josh Reynolds to run the 3 WR sets.  

PPost June 1st trade  2019 Dead Cap: $1,177,5042020 Dead Cap: $2,355,0112019 Cap Savings: $7,000,000

YEAR   AGE BASE SALARY ROSTER RESTRUCTURE MISC. CAP HIT DEAD CAP YEARLY CASH  
2017 Contract details by year 25 $3,000,000 $4,000,000 - - $7,000,000 $10,000,000 $7,000,000($7,000,000)  
2018 Contract details by year 26 $790,000 $3,200,019 $1,177,504 $300,000 $5,467,523 $8,700,038 $9,000,038($16,000,038)  
2019 Contract details by year 27 $6,000,000 $500,000 $1,177,504 $500,000 $8,177,504 $3,532,515 $6,500,000($22,500,038)  
PRE-6/1 RELEASE2019 Dead Cap: $3,532,5152019 Cap Savings: $4,644,989 PRE-6/1 TRADE2019 Dead Cap: $3,532,5152019 Cap Savings: $4,644,989 POST-6/1 RELEASE2019 Dead Cap: $1,177,5042020 Dead Cap: $2,355,0112019 Cap Savings: $7,000,000 POST-6/1 TRADE2019 Dead Cap: $1,177,5042020 Dead Cap: $2,355,0112019 Cap Savings: $7,000,000
2020 Contract details by year 28 $5,500,000 $2,500,000 $1,177,504 - $9,177,504 $4,355,011 $8,000,000($30,500,038)  
2021 Contract details by year 29 $7,500,000 $500,000 $1,177,507 - $9,177,507 $1,177,507 $8,000,000($38,500,038)  
2022 Free Agent Year 30 UFA  

52 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Would be interesting to know how close EQ is to 100% right now.  Seemed odd the way the team decided to put him on the shelf for the year rather than keep him eligible to return.

That injury looked bad. I remember thinking that a bad ankle sprain was surprising given what it looked like. 

Corey Davis is a perfect trade candidate but the Titans probably want to recoup a first, which I wouldn't do. Loved him coming out. If he came here it would be like Amari Cooper going from the Raiders to the Cowboys. Not saying he's as good as Cooper but the huge uptick in production would be there and everyone would be saying the same things such as "oh right, this player actually IS really good! his team just sucked!" 

10 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Boy now he's an all pro?  

Nobody said this. Quit with the strawman bull****.

1st round ability?  Wow after the draft you were all bagging on him because he was a 6th round pick. 

I don't know about first round ability but from a physical skillset perspective, he wasn't lacking much. His big red flags were that his ND coaches hated him because he was a pain in the *** to work with, his production dropped his final year (thanks Brandon Wimbush) and his route running was just okay rather than being really developed, but really the first one was the biggest issue. We've dealt with the headache at this point, might as well collect the earnings for doing so.

Who was bagging on him for being a 6th round pick? This was one of the most universally applauded picks we have ever made. Everybody was absolutely thrilled with his upside at his draft slot.

Please I watched him play last year.  

So did everybody posting here.

For a rookie he was maybe a little more than JAG.  He's a developmental prospect.  Does he have potential sure he does.  

For a rookie he was pretty damn good. The only way you're pulling out JAG comments is if you remove the rookie disclaimer from your evaluation. 

The potential, and the growth is why we want to see him out there in week 8 to see where he has developed. As opposed to scrubs like Sheppard.

That's why the Packers IR'd him. 

If the Packers IR'd him in preseason because they thought he wasn't going to make the team on a TC performance, something that we haven't seen even one hint of, that would be a horrible risk management evaluation. 

But hey all you guys are smarter than the GM ,front office, and medical staff. 

Can I assume this appeal to authority applies to all professionals? Will you not say anything bad about Thomopson/McCarthy ever again, because after all, they're professionals who know what they're doing more than anybody on this board?

I didn't like seeing it either but the kid tore up his ankle good and wasn't having a strong camp.  

http://www.wtmj.com/sports/green-bay-packers/packers-wide-receiver-equanimeous-st-brown-out-for-2019-season/1115553134#targetText=Brown that demarcation as part,also had concussion-like symptoms.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/equanimeous-st-browns-injury-could-make-his-climb-up-the-depth-chart-even-tougher/

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/31/packers-place-equanimeous-st-brown-on-season-ending-ir/

How many links do you want saying High Ankle Sprain?? He didn't "tear his ankle up good" It was a freaking six week ankle injury.

+++

As far as not having a strong camp, Rodgers certainly felt it was strong enough to make him a roster lock:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/20/packers-camp-notes-equanimeous-st-brown-produces-really-nice-camp/

Funny I didn't see any of you crying about him going on IR  when it happened.  Now we are down a few receivers and you are all with the benefit of hindsight whining about it.  Where were you then Bob?  Alex?  Yah that's what I thought.  Nothing but crickets when it happened.  

Then you weren't paying attention. I was upset about that decision at the time and posted so around the announcement of the Final 53. Let me know if you need me to go and dig up those posts. 

Unlike you, I'm not a blind homer for the team and do think for myself, much to the irritation of people like you. Truthfully I don't even think that was a controversial opinion at the time. I think most people were irritated by the decision. 

Oh and there was buzz around him getting released.  

By who? Nobody in the organization. Maybe some of the bloggers/posters trying to drum up preseason controversy, but there wasn't anybody reputable indicating he was at risk. If you can find a link, I'm happy to entertain the notion. 

I don't take kindly to insults.  Cultist?  Please show some respect for other points of view.

Genius, the question wasn't IR. The question was putting him on IR in preseason so he couldn't come back from IR, or putting him on IR after the first day of the regular season, costing you a roster spot for 24 hours, but allowing you to designate him for return. IR was always in the question. The only alternative to IR would have been an injury settlement, and that would be even dumber than not risking Summers for 24 hours like we should have. 

I don't take kindly to insults. 

Cool

Cultist?  Please show some respect for other points of view.

Please show some form of critical thinking rather than blind homerism. This is an open and shut case barring someone from the MJS putting out a story that EQ wasn't going to be capable of coming back until week 14 from his injury, at which point it becomes a shades of gray matter and we can discuss whether risking Summers was worth not having EQ for the playoffs. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

He's a 20 something year old ******* professional athlete, not a 90 year old woman. He's not going to be a worst case scenario recovery time. 

He also wasn't going to get cut in camp.

What color is the damn kool-aid that you people are slurping?

Just because he’s 20, doesn’t mean you can expect best case scenario either. We’ve seen before where on a long term injury, the med staff holds players back until they are 100% healthy (Rodgers in 2012 was held out an extra 4-5 weeks, Adams if he wanted to play could have probably gone against Dallas because turf toe can be a week to week injury). It wasn’t just a tweak.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/pain/recovering_from_an_ankle_sprain

Grade 3-  tear of ligaments...inability to walk/bear weight.... recovery time- several months. (Then throw on practice time to get worked back in)...based off research  6 weeks seems pretty optimistic.

As far as ESB potentially getting cut, go back to posts made week 2-3 of the preseason. There was buzz. He was getting outplayed by the guys we are complaining about now

Nice Dr. Green.  Keep on keeping on.  I remember well when EQ was drafted.  Heading into his rookie season many on this board were extremely critical of our WR corps.  I was out there defending MVS, EQ and wrongly Moore.  Said we would get at least 1 starter and contributions from at least 2 of them.  Was roundly jumped on because these were just late round picks and had no chance.  All your reports cite "initial diagnosis".  So what?  Unless you have inside knowledge of the severity of the injury all your comments are mere speculation.  You don't know the severity of the injury anymore than I do.  Seriously doubt the Packers took the decision to IR him lightly.  

Regardless all your complaints are all in hindsight.  Go ahead dig up your posts I'd love to see it.  EQ wan't going to be an impact player for us coming off of a severe ankle injury.  He was a marginal WR last year and the second year jump wasn't going to happen with a bad wheel and having to learn a new offense with no practice time.  As far as Shepard your criticisms are premature.  OK they guy had one bad game.  He's an UDFA so he's garbage.  Personally I think Gute did make a mistake trading away Davis and have stated as much.  Whatever is what it is they saw something in Shepard lets see if he improves as the season wears on.  I am not ready to pass judgement on him yet.

Furthermore they retained Lazard who has in one game has impressed me more than EQ ever did.  Regardless our WR corp needs to be upgraded.  Whether EQ would have been able to return late in the season wasn't going to change that fact.  Your whole premise is based on an "initial diagnosis"  posted by the media.  Ever consider the injury might have been more serious than the initial reports?  hmmm?