Texans trade DE Jadeveon Clowney to Seattle for Barkevious Mingo

Steelersfan43

10 hours ago, Raves said:

I think it's possible to not be a fair weather fan if you choose to stop supporting your team for a time period if their decisions just don't make sense and then come back when they start making better decisions.  I mean the team can make what should be good decisions and still suck, which means the team still deserves your support, but just horrendous moves that make 0 sense, like the Cleveland Indians of the late mid-late 90's letting most of their best players walk when they were World Series contenders and instead became a major league version of a farm club for other teams, you can stop supporting them for awhile till they turn it around.

The correct answer is yes.

11 hours ago, Raves said:

I think it's possible to not be a fair weather fan if you choose to stop supporting your team for a time period if their decisions just don't make sense and then come back when they start making better decisions.  I mean the team can make what should be good decisions and still suck, which means the team still deserves your support, but just horrendous moves that make 0 sense, like the Cleveland Indians of the late mid-late 90's letting most of their best players walk when they were World Series contenders and instead became a major league version of a farm club for other teams, you can stop supporting them for awhile till they turn it around.

The Mack trade had me rooting against my team after the 4th week. I wanted the team to fall apart (it did) after destroying team chemistry and players quitting left and right. Gruden needed the EGO check and he'll be a better coach moving forward because of it.

ET wants change and Bob going all in is either going to save his job or end his chances of ever being a HC in the NFL again...It's SB or BUST

At least Houston did something to improve their team ASAP (Tunsil/Stills trade) after trading away their pass rusher. Oakland just hurt their team and went into the season thinking all is good and we all saw what happened. At least Bob is fighting tooth and nail and if his players want him around they will go to bat and make this season count. So ET still has hope.

Miami fans/players have lost all hope and hopefully lose their 1st round pick for tampering...Tampering with rigging the future draft. Hopefully all the young QB's see this and decide to stay in college for 5 years.   LOL

4 minutes ago, G said:

ET wants change and Bob going all in is either going to save his job or end his chances of ever being a HC in the NFL again...It's SB or BUST

None of this has changed with me, BTW. I still want BOB out. If anything, these moves accelerate this - had everything stood pat, BOB could probably go 7-9 and probably get another crack at it next season. With this Tunsil deal, anything less that 11-5 is a failure.

BOB pushed his chips all in pre-flop with the Tunsil trade, and he's got pocket 4s; It's a good hand, but it's not exactly a hand you'd commit to in this fashion. The expectation is a deep playoff run now, anything less will probably be met with a HC search by whoever is tapped for the GM gig.

• Like 1

I get that Clowney's trade value is probably hurt a lot by the uncertainty around his contract, and he's probably asking for the moon.  So you're trading for the right to pay a guy a ton of money.  But wow that's a steal for the Seahawks.  He's worth giving a big contract to, and they really didn't give up much worth fretting over in the trade.  Basically just like landing a premiere DE as a FA.

40 minutes ago, G said:

The Mack trade had me rooting against my team after the 4th week. I wanted the team to fall apart (it did) after destroying team chemistry and players quitting left and right. Gruden needed the EGO check and he'll be a better coach moving forward because of it.

At least Houston did something to improve their team ASAP (Tunsil/Stills trade) after trading away their pass rusher. Oakland just hurt their team and went into the season thinking all is good and we all saw what happened. At least Bob is fighting tooth and nail and if his players want him around they will go to bat and make this season count. So ET still has hope.

Miami fans/players have lost all hope and hopefully lose their 1st round pick for tampering...Tampering with rigging the future draft. Hopefully all the young QB's see this and decide to stay in college for 5 years.   LOL

Gruden was in his 1st year of a ridiculous contract making the move from Mack is a different story then the situation Houston is in. Signing mack would limit his cap on bringing in his own guys. Every new HC and GM want to put a stamp on their own roster having mack a guy fro old regime get paid on top of Carrs contract didnt allow much wiggle room for Gruden and now mayock to do their own thing. I think if Carr didnt get his deal then Mack would be the guy signed and Carr would have been let go. 

BOB is another story he has been fighting with GMs even ones that he has brought in such as Gaines. Gaines wanted to sign clowney long term and BOB did not, had they signed him long term the team would be in a good spot and the trade for Tunsil would look better. To now come in and trade Clowney plus pay 7 of the 15 mil, on top of paying these back ups they got for a 3rd round pick is ridiculous. They could have easily rescinded the franchise tag let him walk and pick up a compensatory 3rd rd pick in 2020 draft so I do not understand the motive of this entire trade. As for Tunsil I am glad he is no longer in the AFC East but two 1st rd picks and a 2nd is putting the future of the team on hold and thats where things can get dicey for an organization because any needs after the season will be limited to FA and overspending to make up for those early on picks you lost. Yes your looking to win now but if you dont your stuck in a situation of whether or not you keep BOB. Then you have to find a GM who wants to work with BOB and hope he doesnt back stab you like he did with the other GMs. Lets say you move on from BOB after the season are you going to find a GM and HC knowing that they have no 1st or 2nd rd pick because of tunsil trade? They may elect to go somewhere that may be a bit more stable. The good thing is if Watson is the franchise qb that can keep a GM and HC interested if they believe he is the guy. 

As for Miami they are doing what needs to be done yes it will suck for fans and things will look brighter they are hoping but I have witnessed the nonsense they do in the last 20 years and that is throw big contracts in FA and draft horribly. They have a ton of picks which can be a good or bad thing. Just look at browns they have had several horrible drafts that has led them to a decent roster on paper. Trich, Weeden, Manzel, Gilbert etc. With the right GM they have been able to make moves to be better but the problem with Miami is they still have a guy in Grier who has been apart of the scouting department, now GM for a couple of years, that has had a lousy track record of bringing in top talent. For every Xavien Howard they draft they spend a higher pick on a Parker or Dion Jordan, or recently Charles Harris.Dolphins are putting them selves in a complete rebuild rather then constantly trying to patch the problem they have done for to many seasons if done it will look great for Grier if not they will be looking for a new GM/HC in 2021.

8 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I get that Clowney's trade value is probably hurt a lot by the uncertainty around his contract, and he's probably asking for the moon.  So you're trading for the right to pay a guy a ton of money.  But wow that's a steal for the Seahawks.  He's worth giving a big contract to, and they really didn't give up much worth fretting over in the trade.  Basically just like landing a premiere DE as a FA.

i think he is simply a one year rental and the seahawks are hoping to hit big on it. They didnt pay clark and were weak at pass rusher so this signing along with the 1 year on ansah gives them life at that position to contend this year and focus on the draft next year of getting the pass rusher they want. Clowney is going to seek a big pay day and will go to the team with a good situation but also want top money. Him wanting to go to Seattle or Philly is because both were contenders now and him being able to show his talent in a good defense will get him a bigger pay day then going to Miami to only struggle. Next year hes going to cash in as I think he will have a solid year if healthy and he can argue about landing top 1 or 2 pass rush money.

1 minute ago, SmittyBacall said:

What are the chances Clowney resigns with the Seahawks after the season?

I think slim with a top paid QB (Wilson) and LB (Wagner) Clowney will be looking for highest paid D player contract. Needs to be DMVP to make that happen though...

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

Not happening, they didnt pay clarke because of it and he fit their scheme to a T. Clowney is going to go to the highest bidder and hes is going to be seeking top or 2nd most money putting him around 22 mil a year. 

3 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Pretty small I would think, and the Seahawks haven't been big on using the tag. Even as a rental though, incredible value. They'll likely get a third round comp pick back from his leaving (provided they don't get crazy in FA, which would seem unlikely), so basically they get a year of Clowney while they are still competing for a super bowl, for a couple of roster fodder guys and a swap of third round picks.