Texans trade DE Jadeveon Clowney to Seattle for Barkevious Mingo

Steelersfan43

On 10/23/2019 at 10:33 AM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Clowney was pretty much non existent in terms of pass rush on Sunday, but his run defense was noticeable and he made Ronnie Stanley look like a fool on one play where he stuffed a run up the middle.

Other than that we were pretty creative in how we blocked him (on one play we just let him come through untouched and then pulled a guy from the opposite side to stand in front of him while Lamar rolled out). But he definitely doesn't look like a superstar on the field, that's for sure.

This is what you're getting with Clowney. He's an elite run defender, perhaps the best in the NFL. He doesn't set the edge, he completely obliterates it along with any poor soul that tries to occupy that space. You can't help but to notice when he's there because there are usually a few bodies flying around at the point of his impact.

He's not a pass rusher. Not a great one, at least. Food for thought - going back to his freshman year at SC, Clowney only has ONE double digit sack season to his credit - 2012, when he was a 19 year old Sophomore for Steve Spurrier. Seven years later, we're still waiting for double digits sacks - and at this rate this season, I'm confident in saying year eight might be a better opportunity.

• Like 2

On 10/23/2019 at 10:27 AM, animaltested said:

Something else to remember is Clowney is not playing edge, but the 5 Tech Red Bryant & Michael Bennett played for years.

Clowney played a lot of 5-Tech in Houston as well, in those years where JJ Watt was lost to injury. It's perhaps his best position, it's no coincidence that his two best years in Houston were years he was filling in for Watt. He thrived at the spot.

Clowney is incredibly versatile - he'd line up as an edge in a four man front, an edge in an odd front, a 5tech in both even and odd fronts, a traditional 34 OLB, a traditional 34 ILB and even at NT - he was surprisingly effective as an ILB or NT firing off on the A gap, where he was faster and stronger than any OL at C or G. He'd get a running start and just rag doll OL...

It never equated to sacks, though. 

12 hours ago, ET80 said:

Clowney played a lot of 5-Tech in Houston as well, in those years where JJ Watt was lost to injury. It's perhaps his best position, it's no coincidence that his two best years in Houston were years he was filling in for Watt. He thrived at the spot.

Clowney is incredibly versatile - he'd line up as an edge in a four man front, an edge in an odd front, a 5tech in both even and odd fronts, a traditional 34 OLB, a traditional 34 ILB and even at NT - he was surprisingly effective as an ILB or NT firing off on the A gap, where he was faster and stronger than any OL at C or G. He'd get a running start and just rag doll OL...

Is he worth 20+ is there any more room than growth? What you just explain to me was we ran fans thought of STl Chris Long. Crazy motor but just not a finisher. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ET80 said:

Seattle doesn't seem to be very creative with him. Pretty much there to eat a double team, and make running to his side a pain in the rear. Not sure what the monetary value is for that.

Just now, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Is he worth 20+ is there any more room than growth? What you just explain to me was we ran fans thought of STl Chris Long. Crazy motor but just not a finisher. 

I used to think that there was room, a lot of it too. I was certain that we'd see it over in Seattle, but we haven't yet.

To me, it seems like Clowney got stuck in neutral once Mike Vrabel left Houston for Tennessee. Vrabel was Clowney's LB coach in Houston, and he was very much acting like his "handler" much like how a lot of young QBs have their own QB coaches.

Vrabel would actually script his pass rushing moves early on, much like how teams script their first 15 plays - bull rush, stab and swim, slap and swim spin out, spin in, etc. When they did this, Clowney was consistent and his impact was pretty noticable. I don't think anyone does that for him anymore, and it might behoove someone to get back to that for him.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, animaltested said:

Seattle doesn't seem to be very creative with him. Pretty much there to eat a double team, and make running to his side a pain in the rear. Not sure what the monetary value is for that.

That might be the reason he doesn't resign with Seattle in the offseason. Good luck Franchising him x2. Thats the problem with trading for a player without having a long term deal already in place. Going to be interesting?

14 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

That might be the reason he doesn't resign with Seattle in the offseason. Good luck Franchising him x2. Thats the problem with trading for a player without having a long term deal already in place. Going to be interesting?

I think this is the rationale

Seattle Max'ed out their Comp picks for 2019 [Earl, Coleman, Mike Davis, Stephens) and have an extra 2nd for Clark. With PCJS tendency to trade down, burning a 3rd for Clowney is essentially chump change (Js will essentially recreate the 3rd by trading down. Did it last year). Get a really good football player to solidify a weak unit in 2019, then recoup that 3rd Round comp in 2021. 

3 hours ago, Drained said:

Clowney playing disappointing this year. Is he still gonna demand Mack money considering how hes underperforming?

It's still a steal though but definitely not anywhere near to rebuilding that legion of boom lol.

It's only a steal if he is resigned long term by Seattle and OR helps them win the SB this year. Neither is guaranteed at this point. Might end up being nothing more than a Golden Tate type rental in the end!

13 hours ago, Drained said:

Clowney playing disappointing this year. Is he still gonna demand Mack money considering how hes underperforming?

It's still a steal though but definitely not anywhere near to rebuilding that legion of boom lol.

Considering the cap is always increasing, the way contracts can be structured and the fact its rare that high profile pass rushers rarely see free agency, I bet he gets paid crazy money

10 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Considering the cap is always increasing, the way contracts can be structured and the fact its rare that high profile pass rushers rarely see free agency, I bet he gets paid crazy money

Well the only two relatively top tier pass rushers available in FA are Clowney and Yannick I think some team will pay him top money in order to solidify their dline. I would like to see what clowney can do in more of a traditional 4-3 DE instead of a 3-4 OLB if that would change things for him at all or if it will have no impact? Also if Jags tag or extend Yannick then Clowney may hit the jack pot if hes looking to get paid top tier money as he would have no competition in FA. From my understanding is Seattle agreed to not tag Clowney if he went there for the year so hes going to get paid either there or somewhere else. 

Seattle will get a 3rd rd comp for him so essentially they wont miss out on much if he does walk. Well worth the risk in this move

19 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

It's only a steal if he is resigned long term by Seattle and OR helps them win the SB this year. Neither is guaranteed at this point. Might end up being nothing more than a Golden Tate type rental in the end!

It's also a steal if he just plays well, signs a huge deal with another team and Seattle gets a 3rd round comp pick back (which is likely to happen). The way they've maneuvered losing Clark/Bennett with the signing of Clowney the way they did was pretty damn solid.

Of course, their pass rush is still in shambles even with Reed back (Ansah is even more invisible than Clowney is) so more and more it's looking like they're going to really need to draft/acquire more pass rush next year.

On 10/27/2019 at 1:55 PM, Drained said:

The sack numbers aren't there but he has been a pretty disruptive force.

Raiders would be a perfect fit for Clowney with our current defense. If we can steal a wildcard this season then that might make us attractive as a team on the rise and Vegas taxes or lack there of...He should get 15 per I’d offer 18 base with incentives for sacks. Double digit gets you 20, double digits and playoff victory with health gets 22 and Super Bowl victory gets you 24.