Random Game Talk (are you really a gamer if you aren't playing BG3?)

skywindO2

2 minutes ago, sjfja_fkdldjs said:

I feel like this is something games have been failing to look at nowadays. I think a major reason Halo had such a good campaign was you had to approach each enemy differently (This was also a major flaw with Halo 4, stupid knights lol). Nowadays you are just flying all over the place with 20 different abilities so the only thing developers do are making enemies tougher. 

The Halo games of old also had enemies with some personality or stark difference in emotion and ways you fight them.

Grunts, Elites, Hunters, Brutes, Flood? All felt different and gave different vibes. Not necessarily GREAT AI, but 1. it was older and 2. it still looks more inspired than what Anthem has shown us 1-2 decades later.

3 hours ago, Danger said:

The Halo games of old also had enemies with some personality or stark difference in emotion and ways you fight them.

Grunts, Elites, Hunters, Brutes, Flood? All felt different and gave different vibes. Not necessarily GREAT AI, but 1. it was older and 2. it still looks more inspired than what Anthem has shown us 1-2 decades later.

True, it wasn't necessarily about being the smartest AI, but simple and effective. They used smart enemy design, level design, and a couple of personalities to each enemy to make every encounter different and challenging (even reloading the same spot). Masterchief was a pretty limited hero. He can shoot, throw grenades, and punch. But having encounters be varied and varied guns. He didn't need to have the ability to fly, run at the speed of sound, or have 300 powers to make the game interesting.

It's actually a little ironic coming from me since I LOVE movement in video games. Give me every dash possible. But it feels like games try so hard to make playing your own character fun, that they end up just putting punching bags out as enemies.

21 hours ago, sjfja_fkdldjs said:

True, it wasn't necessarily about being the smartest AI, but simple and effective. They used smart enemy design, level design, and a couple of personalities to each enemy to make every encounter different and challenging (even reloading the same spot). Masterchief was a pretty limited hero. He can shoot, throw grenades, and punch. But having encounters be varied and varied guns. He didn't need to have the ability to fly, run at the speed of sound, or have 300 powers to make the game interesting.

It's actually a little ironic coming from me since I LOVE movement in video games. Give me every dash possible. But it feels like games try so hard to make playing your own character fun, that they end up just putting punching bags out as enemies.

Changing up weapons was a big one for me.  I hated the Covenant weapons and always hated those levels where you were the only UNSC person and you directly faced the Covenant only and had no shot at other weapons.  That changed the way I approached enemies for sure.  

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

@JBURGE - in stardew valley co-op, can you play solo and have other people join whenever? if starting a new game is there a reason not to just do co-op just in case you want people to jump in later?

Yep this is exactly how it works, you can play single player and then do a co-op but it's smarter to do a co-op because I'm gonna be honest the netcode in SDV is jank as all hell.

Like it's passable but if one of you has bad internet...One day they might have pants, the other day they might have legs for hands.

• Like 1

Been working on ACO for a couple months now. Just hit 80 hours with no feel of an end in sight.  Level 45.

I do like how much there is to do in the game... But the freaking hunting for skins, having to kill everything in sight and gathering other ingredients all the time is annoying. Any tips on how to ring up skins and such fast? I fast travel to blacksmiths and buy up every ingredient they have for sale. Still got upgrades to do.

15 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Been working on ACO for a couple months now. Just hit 80 hours with no feel of an end in sight.  Level 45.

I do like how much there is to do in the game... But the freaking hunting for skins, having to kill everything in sight and gathering other ingredients all the time is annoying. Any tips on how to ring up skins and such fast? I fast travel to blacksmiths and buy up every ingredient they have for sale. Still got upgrades to do.

Ayy weren’t you one of the game’s haters tho

2 hours ago, Tyty said:

I wasnt hating. After playing RDR2 and JC4, said there was a dropoff in production/appearance/controls quality. Plus I find myself doing the same thing a lot. Like "Find and kill 5 sharks" and hunting ingredients nonstop.

2 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I wasnt hating. After playing RDR2 and JC4, said there was a dropoff in production/appearance/controls quality. Plus I find myself doing the same thing a lot. Like "Find and kill 5 sharks" and hunting ingredients nonstop.

Those are never ending quest lines that aren’t even necessary. All naval things and go kill x amount of this missions I just ignored

On 1/9/2019 at 1:26 PM, Tyty said:

Starting to change my mind. I dont play many games. And this has to be the worst controlled game Ive played since Gamecube. Just died several times cause my sneak attack thing wont trigger. So I reboot and have to smash the triangle a dozen times to squat. So reboot. And its on and on. The controls are awful. And no jump button sucks. Games aggravating me now. I play Saints Row 3 on the side. And for a PS3, controls are 100x more crisp and precise. Its ruining a decent game for me.

4 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Starting to change my mind. I dont play many games. And this has to be the worst controlled game Ive played since Gamecube. Just died several times cause my sneak attack thing wont trigger. So I reboot and have to smash the triangle a dozen times to squat. So reboot. And its on and on. The controls are awful. And no jump button sucks. Games aggravating me now. I play Saints Row 3 on the side. And for a PS3, controls are 100x more crisp and precise. Its ruining a decent game for me.

Well that’s just like your opinion man

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I was just upset and ranting. Got a 5 helmet warning level. Took to the sea and took out 20 mercs, got several pieces of new Legendary gear. Im happy again.

After a certain point in the game I’d accrued enough money and nothing to spend it on so I’d just pay off my bounty every time rather than have high bounties lol