Random Game Talk (are you really a gamer if you aren't playing BG3?)

skywindO2

On 11/14/2021 at 1:55 PM, french t0ast said:

Holy crap this game was such a surprise.

I had no interest in this game until the reviews started pouring in saying that it was such a surprisingly fun good game that came out of Knowhere (pun intended).

The story was the biggest surprise for me, it made me laugh and almost TEAR UP a few times. I was NOT expecting that with this game 😅

The gameplay is pretty good, only negatives I could find was towards the end the whole "running into the next area with a horde of enemies" felt kind of repetitive. 

I picked it up. Probably 4 hours in. I will echo the story is very fun. The gameplay is ... fine. I think it's actually kind of clunky at times. I got it for $30 though, and it will be well worth it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Sure it's been discussed but why not ask it again anyway.

When y'all start playing games, do you throw it on the hardest level available right away? Maybe after you level up a bit? Ever?

I formerly used to put it on one from the highest, and eventually try to get good enough to play on the hardest.  Now, I'm the opposite.  I put it one from the lowest (usually just normal) and I'll bump it down if I'm not enjoying it.  I'm too old to care about getting good.  I'd rather play through the story of multiple games with the time that I have to play.  Sports games are a little different.  I try to keep them relatively challenging. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

I formerly used to put it on one from the highest, and eventually try to get good enough to play on the hardest.  Now, I'm the opposite.  I put it one from the lowest (usually just normal) and I'll bump it down if I'm not enjoying it.  I'm too old to care about getting good.  I'd rather play through the story of multiple games with the time that I have to play.  Sports games are a little different.  I try to keep them relatively challenging. 

This is how I am but maybe whenever I start the next game I'm playing, I might put it on the hardest at first. Some game's (ie The Last of Us) hardest settings are just impossible to start off w/ and almost unplayable TBH so it does vary depending on what game I am playing. 

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

4 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

When y'all start playing games, do you throw it on the hardest level available right away? Maybe after you level up a bit? Ever?

Depends on the game and how much time I’ve got. 

If it’s a narrative game I rarely go all the way up if there are 4 or more options. If there is only 3 then yeah I’ll play on hard.

Combat games usually do hard unless it’ll be brutal. 

If there is an achievement I’ll go for that too

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

This is exactly how I am. Most recently, GotG and LoUII are played on normal. I'm in it for the story. Sports games I ramp up.

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

This is exactly how I am. Most recently, GotG and LoUII are played on normal. I'm in it for the story. Sports games I ramp up.

I play Madden on the lowest difficulty, something very cathartic about dropping 70+ every game and setting records non stop.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Usually normal difficulty, I've heard on gaming podcasts that games are basically made in normal difficulty, then ramped up and down afterwards for other difficulties, so I want to play it the way it was made - if that makes sense.

If I'm going back for a second playthrough, or it's a game series I'm well versed in like Tomb Raider or something, I'll make it a little harder. But I'm mostly a normal kind of guy.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RJ_11 said:

Usually normal difficulty, I've heard on gaming podcasts that games are basically made in normal difficulty, then ramped up and down afterwards for other difficulties, so I want to play it the way it was made - if that makes sense.

If I'm going back for a second playthrough, or it's a game series I'm well versed in like Tomb Raider or something, I'll make it a little harder. But I'm mostly a normal kind of guy.

I never do second playthroughs b/c I always have so much in queue to play but I think I'm going to start switching to the more difficult mode halfway through unless it's Last of Us type difficult. After getting too strong, the games tend to get so easy. I've read this is the case for the next two games I plan on playing as well, whichever I decide. Just need something to hold me over until February.

On 11/23/2021 at 10:05 PM, Kiltman said:

I felt the same, know a lot of people said push through but I just couldn’t get into it.

Same with me. IMO Nintendo games albeit really tight, well made, and complete games are vastly overrated compared to other games that score similar in reviews... I've never really found one in the Switch generation outside of the new Mario that even holds a candle to other exceptional games of this generation of consoles. Probably the two best games on the Switch BOTW & Mario are not even in the same category of games like Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, or other IMO masterful games. 

50 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Same with me. IMO Nintendo games albeit really tight, well made, and complete games are vastly overrated compared to other games that score similar in reviews... I've never really found one in the Switch generation outside of the new Mario that even holds a candle to other exceptional games of this generation of consoles. Probably the two best games on the Switch BOTW & Mario are not even in the same category of games like Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, or other IMO masterful games. 

Rock solid IP and nostalgia goggles get ya pretty far.

They are going for different things but yeah as someone who prefers more mature games can’t say Nintendo does too much for me. Never had an N64 or Gamecube when I was a kid, so the nostalgia isn’t there for anything aside Pokémon.

I think one of the bigger things for me is the bare minimum they put into things sometimes. Like Pokémon is one of the biggest gaming IPs around, yet they keep underdelivering on games. Almost defiantly refuse to grow with their audience at all.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izpSH6LUpm4

Full 4K walkthrough (with some exploring of the city at the end) of the Matrix Unreal Engine 5 tech demo for those who can't play it (only playable on next gen consoles).

Absolutely insane...can't wait until we get some games out that take full advantage of it. 

Edited by rob_shadows

14 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izpSH6LUpm4

Full 4K walkthrough (with some exploring of the city at the end) of the Matrix Unreal Engine 5 tech demo for those who can't play it (only playable on next gen consoles).

Absolutely insane...can't wait until we get some games out that take full advantage of it. 

Was wondering who made it, apparently was a joint effort between Epic The Coalition (Gears of War) and people involved in the films.

UE5 looks great, I know Hellblade 2 is using it, I think that Fractured game is too.