FA 2020

drfrey13

5 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

https://overthecap.com/position/inside-linebacker/

You think he’s on par with Jaylen Smith, Benardrick McKinney, Eric Kendricks, etc?

Bruh. I said 7-12. I said 12 as the high end.

He doesn't need to be as good. This is free agency. Everyone gets overpaid. If those 3 hit the market, they would get 20-50% more in salary. Just look at CJ Mosley. 

But you'd rather overpay for young talent that has their best ball ahead of them. 

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Bruh. I said 7-12. I said 12 as the high end.

He doesn't need to be as good. This is free agency. Everyone gets overpaid. If those 3 hit the market, they would get 20-50% more in salary. Just look at CJ Mosley. 

But you'd rather overpay for young talent that has their best ball ahead of them. 

I’ll be happy for just average linebackers 

16 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

You overpay for elite players in free agency not 4yr back ups.  The guys decent but there’s absolutely no way you can pay guys of his skill set (borderline starter) as if they were top 10 (Excluding rookie deals) MLB or OLBs.  

"elite players" don't make it FA. Everyone is overpaid in FA more or less. But I get your point.

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

You overpay for elite players in free agency not 4yr back ups.  The guys decent but there’s absolutely no way you can pay guys of his skill set (borderline starter) as if they were top 10 (Excluding rookie deals) MLB or OLBs.  

There are quite a few guys slated to be available in the same mold so I think they will all keep the price down.

Blake Martinez, Joe Schobert, and Kyle Van Noy off the top of my head. 

1 hour ago, Blazer026 said:

If we could get Shaq Thompson I’d be very happy. 

I'd like that signing as well but Shaq would take Morrow's spot so we'd still need a Mike. Schobert/Martinez/Kwiatkowski (Mike) and Littleton/Shaq (Will) should be near the top on our target list. And i'm all for Anthony Harris to pair with Abram.

2 hours ago, true2form said:

There are quite a few guys slated to be available in the same mold so I think they will all keep the price down.

Blake Martinez, Joe Schobert, and Kyle Van Noy off the top of my head. 

Schobert would be a perfect fit for us IMO, though I just dont think we invest highly in LB. What's the situation with the other Browns LB Kirksey?

Browns will have a decent amount of cap space. I expect him to re-sign there, but if he makes it to FA, we need to go after him. He's a really good LB and would be a huge upgrade obviously.

I think this is the year we invest in LBs. Mike Mayock has to see what's wrong. Maybe he listened to PG and gave him the benefit of the doubt that he and his staff can coach them up and now he sees he has to add better talent. I hope this is the case.

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

What's the situation with the other Browns LB Kirksey?

He had a couple of great years in 16 & 17, but was derailed by injuries the last two seasons.  He is on IR for a torn pectoral since early this year, but I believe he is under contract until 2021 as well.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, true2form said:
1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

What's the situation with the other Browns LB Kirksey?

He had a couple of great years in 16 & 17, but was derailed by injuries the last two seasons.  He is on IR for a torn pectoral since early this year, but I believe he is under contract until 2021 as well.

OK thanks for that, he was pretty good a couple years back and wondered if he might be a cap casualty this offseason.......

8 hours ago, big_palooka said:

"elite players" don't make it FA. Everyone is overpaid in FA more or less. But I get your point.

Ok I hyperbole’d “elite”.  But you can’t build a team overpaying average guys in free agency.  Kwiatkowski at 7-12mil or a guy is  whose in the same ballpark for 3-4mil.  If your going to give Kwiatkowski 7-12mil you might as well toss an extra 3-5mil on that and get the top FA out there.

My point is if we sign Kwiatkowski for something like 3/30-36 or 4/40-48 were going to end up releasing him as soon as the guaranteed money / dead cap is gone, it’ll be a gross overpayment. 

I personally see it as if you are young with potential you get paid early in free agency for what the team thinks you will be and if you are good but maxed out you get paid later in FA but less.  The NFL puts such a high premium on potential that in FA it is better to wait out the first week unless there is one player you have to have.  

• Like 1