Patriots sign WR Antonio Brown hours after his release by Raiders

Humble_Beast

Why did the Raiders release him instead of voiding his guarantees and burying him on the suspended list for the season? Why give him exactly what he wanted?

I guess Brown figured out how to get his way, but at what cost? No sane front office would give him more than a 1 year deal going forward, and everyone will be on to this trick the next time he tries it. Was it really worth tossing all potential for long-term money to game the system and get a year with the league's top team?

It's the most short sighted power play I've seen. Very weird for a football player since it's nearly universal to seek long-term security in a game where you could be crippled any given sunday.

Edited by Texans02

38 minutes ago, Texans02 said:

Why did the Raiders release him instead of voiding his guarantees and burying him on the suspended list for the season? Why give him exactly what he wanted?

I guess Brown figured out how to get his way, but at what cost? No sane front office would give him more than a 1 year deal going forward, and everyone will be on to this trick the next time he tries it. Was it really worth tossing all potential for long-term money to game the system and get a year with the league's top team?

It's the most short sighted power play I've seen. Very weird for a football player since it's nearly universal to seek long-term security in a game where you could be crippled any given sunday.

Dude he got to play for a SuperBowl contending team and more money! I doubt he won't be a Patriot next season. They did offer a 1st round pick for him before he was traded to the Raiders. 

16 hours ago, BayRaider said:
16 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

There is no legal action to be had since the Raiders released him on their own power.

Nope, released over behavior and huge amounts of evidence he never planned to play for the organization. 

I heard on the radio yesterday, there is some clause with NFL merchandise that within a certain number of days, there is a refund/replacement option.  There was mention of some restrictions on how the player switches teams.  

Who are you suing?   NFL, OAK, Brown?

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

I mean this is straight up insanity.

if he is in the booth next to kraft, I expect the cameras to show his responses to the game/play  about 20x throughout the game9_9 . Insanity is the word everyone here liked to apply to arians, trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results, anyone have a link for that poster? 

AB  goes to the pats and it costs the pats no RD1 picks etc, so in the end this really went browns way.  The raiders should have made it so he was unavailable to play this season, but now he is on the SB champ and favourites,thats nice.  If the pats win this year  it should be enough to make some fans stop watching, and if they 3 peat, hopefully even more quit watching. 

I think this is what brown had in mind for a while, before last year if he had issues with authority in pitt and actually had a bad relationship with ben. His only way out was drama and then quitting on the team and it worked. Then what he did at the raiders though, that was a bit more than I expected, but it worked too. 

make top salary in pitt, then quit on them and get paid less for the pats yet behave if they are serious about winning SB's (obviously they are) , thats what I am seeing here. If players signed 1 year deals, he might have jumped ship a while back.  

who will have a better season, bell or brown? Will they have seasons comparable to their best seasons in pitt?

Edited by 3rivers

2 hours ago, Texans02 said:

I'm guessing they were done with it. They could have tried to bury him, but at what cost? He'd have went nuclear on their organization and been a bigger distraction. With a young core and Mayock trying to get this ship pointed in the right direction, they couldn't have him out their on social media playing games any longer. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, showtime said:

Everyone on NFL Countdown thinks that this will not work out, that includes Tedy Bruschi, Rex Ryan, and Hassellbeck.  I think Randy Moss was just saying how he just wants Brown to get back on the field so he can focus on football.

Bruschi's take is interesting given his relationship to the team. What was their reasoning? 

I sure hope this is the case. Hate seeing NE continue to reap rewards like this. The mere fact this guy gets to act like an absolute child in practice and on social media and gets his way, if there is a football god, this will not work out.

Just now, big_palooka said:

Bruschi's take is interesting given his relationship to the team. What was their reasoning? 

I sure hope this is the case. Hate seeing NE continue to reap rewards like this. The mere fact this guy gets to act like an absolute child in practice and on social media and gets his way, if there is a football god, this will not work out.

• Like 2

Its funny how Bruschi's main point was AB being selfish while Randy is sitting right next to him who had the same criticisms coming from the Raiders to the Patriots. I think Randy put it best, let's see him play football. He is where he CHOSE to be, so let's see if he leaves it on the field like he had in Pittsburgh when things were good. 

• Like 1