Thoughts on Browns after week one loss

Vladimir L

2 hours ago, dtait93 said:

I think they’re the same team today as they were going in to the game yesterday. I don’t think Cleveland’s a sorry team, I just think they need to eliminate penalties and they will be fine. They played us tight all the way up until the end of the 3rd and then our defense took over after Henry broke the game open. 

We’re going to be a really good team this year (and have been at the very least above average the last 3 years) so some of the bashing needs to shift from Cleveland and instead be turned in to giving us credit.

Yup. People might assume just by looking at the box score that you guys were killing us all game, but it was a close game all the way until the fourth quarter. Then we just totally imploded.

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I am worried about Freddie long term. He gives up on running the ball way too quickly. He did the same crap against Baltimore week 17. Why the hell are you running a 7 step drop play action pass from your 1 yard line?

18 penalties for 180 yards. 5 personal fouls. Zero discipline against a team that’s foundation is built on discipline.

I don't totally disagree but it's kind of hard to have a balanced offensive attack when you're constantly committing penalties and putting yourselves into 2nd and 20s and 3rd and 15s. You're pretty much forced to throw the ball at that point, and Tennessee knew this and took advantage of our shoddy OL.

But yes, we need to get Chubb more involved. If we clean up the penalties then we should be able to have a more balanced approach offensively. If at that point Freddie still isn't utilizing the running game enough, then I'll be more concerned.

• Like 1

Myles Garret took a swing (maybe a punch) at Delaine Walker at the start of the second quarter and DIDN'T get ejected. Yet people are taking issue with the refs? 

I think all the talking they did in the off-season absolutely wound them up more than they would have been otherwise, when they had to face another team on the field. It's probably something they'll get more used to and chill out on as the season goes on. 

Browns needed this punch in the face, now we will see what kind of team they can become. They have a lot talent, but talent has to play smart and do their job. I think they are around a 8-8 team and if they can make the Wild Card or even win their Division it will be another good step in the right direction. You have to learn how to win in this league and now its time for them learn from their loss and if they have the right people to do that

a good team is more than the sum of the players and it takes a good coach to manage that. See Tomlin who kept the 3 Bs functioning at high level for years w/o Pittsburgh turning into a comedy show.

one game doesn't make or break them and i fully expect them to bounce back against the inferior Jets.

how Kitchens is able to keep this team from self inducing damage ala week 1 when facing adversity is what will make or break their season and it will show after week 4 when they faced 2 playoff teams in SEA and BAL.

if those games are lost things could get really interesting. 

35 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Myles Garret took a swing (maybe a punch) at Delaine Walker at the start of the second quarter and DIDN'T get ejected. Yet people are taking issue with the refs? 

I think all the talking they did in the off-season absolutely wound them up more than they would have been otherwise, when they had to face another team on the field. It's probably something they'll get more used to and chill out on as the season goes on. 

i don't think i've really seen anyone taking issue with the refs, not even browns fans. the penalties were so obvious and boneheaded that it was impossible to blame the refs (a couple of ticky-tack calls that went in our favor notwithstanding)

• Like 1

Honestly not much of my opinion about them has changed other than I think that they bought into their own hype and it really showed. This was a classic example of a team that is much better than Vegas/the media is saying they are taking it to a team that Vegas/the media thinks is a SB contender.

I think the Browns will be fine. I stand by what I've been saying about them all offseason: They will win 8-9 games.

24 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

a good team is more than the sum of the players and it takes a good coach to manage that. See Tomlin who kept the 3 Bs functioning at high level for years w/o Pittsburgh turning into a comedy show.

one game doesn't make or break them and i fully expect them to bounce back against the inferior Jets.

how Kitchens is able to keep this team from self inducing damage ala week 1 when facing adversity is what will make or break their season and it will show after week 4 when they faced 2 playoff teams in SEA and BAL.

if those games are lost things could get really interesting. 

You're not wrong. We'll see what Freddie and this team is made of in the coming weeks. If I had two concerns going into the season, it was the offensive line (okay - and kicker, so three concerns) and Freddie. He was my second choice behind only Arians, and while I have faith in him, he's still totally unproven as a head coach. If he proves to be in over his head, we'll be in for a long and disappointing season. Freddie definitely shares some of the blame for yesterday's woes, but not all of them. And this was also his first game as head coach, so hopefully he'll learn from his mistakes.

We also play the Rams soon, which either could be a really fun game or an absolute disaster for us. We really need to play well next week against the Jets to get some confidence back. If there's ever been a must win during week two of the season, this is it.

50 minutes ago, DawgX said:

If there's ever been a must win during week two of the season, this is it.

The popular statistic thrown around after week 2 is that 0-2 teams stand little chance of making the playoffs.  So yeah, week 2 is must win for the 15 - 0-1 teams (or soon to be 0-1) trying to make the playoffs.

Also, i agree with you.  They gotta do better from a confidence standpoint.