2019 Week 2 PACKERS vs vikings GAME DAY THREAD

Shanedorf

10 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Personally, I'm a fan of strict OPI enforcement and have wanted that to be a POI for NFL officiating for like a decade now.

I can see that, but I disagree.  I think the offense has gotten away with egregious OPI for a while.  The ones called on the Vikings, and for that matter Graham, today seemed very soft.  I don't mind contact from offense or defense if it is minor, and I realize that is a judgement call.  I would like to eliminate the classic Michael Irvin push-offs by the offense.  By the same token, I think there are way too many DPIs that get called with very minimal contact being made.  

• Like 1

Overall weird game. Offense started hot. Ran well even later just couldn’t get firsts. The minny D made some nice stops (2 punched out 20+ yard passes). Rodgers got a little happy feet.

The d played well. 3 plays made up like 200 yards. Alexander had a few miscues (dropped pick, going for a pick isn’t of a breakup which was essentially a td). Gave up too much on cutbacks

3 minutes ago, Donzo said:

Rodgers said he blew the 4th down run for a loss... He thought they picked up a 1st down on the previous play, so he ran a 1st down play, not a 4th down play.

Interesting.

My recollection was that one of the refs came in with an initial spot that was very generous and looked like a first down. It wasn't mentioned on the broadcast. Might be what he saw. Still, you really hope your veteran QB would know what down it is.

3 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Legitimate answer, MAC's first game was a 0-26 loss at Lambeau vs CHI

Favre threw for 170 yards with 2 INT

Any other questions?

Just going through this for a minute:

Games scored with 10 points or fewer with a starting QB:

06: 6

07: 1

08: 0

09: 0

10: 3

11: 0

12: 1

13: 1

14: 1

15: 2

16: 0

17: 0

18: 0* Not counting the Lions game where Rodgers went out immediately.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Andy Herman:

Rodgers takeaway from the game: “2-0. We’re 2-0 in the division.”

In truth, this is more or less how I feel.  Plenty of things to be concerned about, but at the end of the day, GB is 2-0 with wins vs 2 division rivals who were supposed to be be better teams.  I can't say I was expecting a 2-0 start to the season.  Two weeks in a row that the game could have easily gotten away,  but didn't.  Something to be said for that.

4 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I can see that, but I disagree.  I think the offense has gotten away with egregious OPI for a while.  The ones called on the Vikings, and for that matter Graham, today seemed very soft.  I don't mind contact from offense or defense if it is minor, and I realize that is a judgement call.  I would like to eliminate the classic Michael Irvin push-offs by the offense.  By the same token, I think there are way too many DPIs that get called with very minimal contact being made.  

There was one OPI on MN that was bad - the Vikes scored later anyway.

Edited by Pugger

2 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

At some point you have to let people play, because too much reffing ruins the game.  As always it's a balance, and because it's early season refs are probably overcalling it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think the real story on this one though is "being able to create a penalty flag on reviews" is a CAN OF WORMS.  After they created one on a "every aspect of the play is reviewed" play (was this the first one ever?), they were going to have to call it pretty tight for the rest of the game.

2 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

In truth, this is more or less how I feel.  Plenty of things to be concerned about, but at the end of the day, GB is 2-0 with wins vs 2 division rivals who were supposed to be be better teams.  I can't say I was expecting a 2-0 start to the season.  Two weeks in a row that the game could have easily gotten away,  but didn't.  Something to be said for that.

Agree. Bank the W and figure out the rest.

We've got to get some balance however or we'll burn out the defense and/or get them all hurt.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Just going through this for a minute:

Games scored with 10 points or fewer with a starting QB:

06: 6

07: 1

08: 0

09: 0

10: 3

11: 0

12: 1

13: 1

14: 1

15: 2

16: 0

17: 0

18: 0* Not counting the Lions game where Rodgers went out immediately.

Fair enough.  Get back to me at the end of the season so we can all see where MLF stands.  I can only imagine how you must have been singing MM's praises after his 4-8 start in 2006, with no less than 6 games scoring 10 pts or less, and two goose eggs.

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Personally, I'm a fan of strict OPI enforcement and have wanted that to be a POI for NFL officiating for like a decade now.

Yes.

I think they overcalled it today on Minnesota, but   let’s call that delayed Karma on years of GB playing Cris Carter. 

• Like 1