Baker Mayfield vs Lamar Jackson

patriotsheatyan

Baker Mayfield vs Lamar Jackson  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Baker Mayfield vs Lamar Jackson

• Mayfield
    • Jackson

This is a very reactionary thread. Baker just turned in a bad game and Lamar just turned in arguably the best QB performance of week 1. Lamar has had exactly 1 NFL game under a full offseason of work as a starter, and Baker has had exactly 1 NFL game under a full offseason with Freddie Kitchens' system, so this comparison is VERY pre-mature IYAM.

Factoring in just football talent, I think Baker is the safer option because he's a better pocket passer right now and has a higher floor than Lamar Jackson does, but you also have to consider that Baker has a very high turnover rate and his off-field attitude is a huge turn off for me. I love Lamar's leadership off the field (recent example for you) and how humble he is, and his improvement this offseason was tremendous - and so for those reason PLUS the fact that he's an elite runner already, I'd take Lamar when starting a franchise.

• Like 3

For me it depends on the coaching and organizational outlook of the franchise... what the ravens have done to help Jackson is the total opposite of what we did in the Flacco era... We decided to build up Lamar and his supporting cast and Lamar in turn has shown a work ethic and leadership quality that we never got from Flacco imo... The browns imo are a real coaching staff away from reaching their full potential... the “success” they had last year was really mediocrity but coming from back to back #1 overall picks u got to see a little growth in a 7-9 record... I feel their front office did a good job of acquiring talent but at the same time never took into account how it would actually mesh... Now of course there is a long season ahead and plenty of opportunity to right this wrong but the schedule is the schedule it’s a lot of tough games to come and despite all the talent the browns acquired none of those guys are proven nfl winners... Lamar was my favorite college player to watch since ed reed and had a Lebron James type impact on Louisville as they only won 1 game and the coaching staff was fired the following year upon his leaving for the draft... only 4 players were drafted from those 3 Louisville teams he played on and non of which were skill position players despite him posting historic numbers.... Bakers team on the other hand never missed a beat and had the next heisman trophy winner and another appearance in the college playoff... I like both as talents but I feel Lamar has always done far more with much less and if the talent around him catches up to the talent he possesses the sky is the limit... But regardless of those points I’m sure the browns would rather have their guy and us ravens would rather keep ours

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

A better thread is Lamar Jackson vs Gardner Minshew. Both have had one good start in the NFL.

I’m only now entertaining this because I’m bored and I’m sure you have to be joking, but assuming not:

Lamar is a year younger than Minshew. He also put up 4 TDs in one half and ended with a 5-0 TD to INT ratio; Minshew finished with a 2-1 TD to INT ratio. Lamar had a perfect passer rating at 158.3, while Minshew was at 122.5; Minshews Y/A was at 11.0 while Lamar’s was at 16.2.

So if Minshew had a good start, Lamar’s game was still a “great” start.

Lastly if what Lamar did was only a “good” start than Baker has never had a good start in his NFL career based off of this qualifier.

B|🤷‍♂️🤷🏽‍♀️ 

Edited by diamondbull424

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

Baker is obviously the superior QB right now - and that's coming from a Ravens fan.

Is pretty impressive though regardless of the competition that Lamar just threw 5 TDs in his 8th NFL start...i wonder if a QB has ever done that earlier?

Deshaun Watson threw 5 TDs his 4th start (5th game overall) against KC his rookie season. He threw 4 TDs in his 3rd and 6th start as well.

Pat Mahomes hit 6 TDs in his 3rd start (2nd start of 2018) vs Pittsburgh W2 last season.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

It baffles me that people take the 1st game of the season and draw conclusions off it. In any sport! It happens every year and nobody bothers to learn. 

Says the Browns' fan who had 99.999999999% of their fanbase say Lamar was a bust because of 3 quarters of the Chargers game. 

Sidenote: I don't think there is a username that could have any less credibility than the one of the OP that started this thread.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Says the Browns' fan who had 99.999999999% of their fanbase say Lamar was a bust because of 3 quarters of the Chargers game. 

Sidenote: I don't think there is a username that could have any less credibility than the one of the OP that started this thread.

100% had the browns beat up TN they would have been pumping the ish out their chest. Those are big facts. 

• Like 1