2019 WEEK 3 PACKERS vs broncos GAME DAY THREAD

Shanedorf

1 hour ago, craig said:

It's been noted that not running out kicks is best.  

What is the data on punt returns?  My jaded perspective is that the Packers lose more yards to on punt-returns via penalty than they gain via returns.  If you told all your punt-return team to lie down so they can't commit any penalties., and let the return guy fair-catch the ball, would you be better off than having them try to block and set up returns?  

No, kickers can kick it 60+ yards in the air. The reason they don't is the threat of the return. You do better off with the possibility of a penalty just by forcing the punter to keep his net yardage around 45 with the threat of a blocked return. 

Why teams aren't telling players that they are absolutely under no circumstances to do anything questionable from a blocking perspective, I don't know.

28 minutes ago, n8ghee said:

i like the previous idea of rushing ten players and using your returner simply to fair catch the ball. you got my vote, sir.

Sounds sexy but my guess is in practice the number of punts you block will be like 1/3 of the number of 1st downs you'll gift them via roughing calls.

Running the ball out of the endzone is generally worse than taking the touchback, but teams have been known to intentionally try to pop the kick up so it is caught between the goal line and the 10, forcing a return.  So you kind of need someone who can do it.

For punt returns, I'm honestly content to take "makes the right decisions on when to field it, fields it cleanly, and falls forward" were that an option.

• Like 1

I guess I have given up on the idea of Graham making a sustained positive impact for the team and would like to see more Tonyan incorporated in the game planning.  Graham is what he is at this point in his career.  Not to say he can’t have a good game, saying I don’t think it can be sustained.  Lewis has his gig, I’d like to see the two young guys worked into the scheme and planning.  They may make mistakes a veteran would not, but our overly paid veteran is a stiff.

4 hours ago, Greg C. said:

Am I the only Packer fan who feels a tinge of disappointment knowing that Jimmy Graham is probably going to play on Sunday after all? I know it's wrong, but it's hard to feel good about Graham this year. I hope he proves me wrong.

Not the only one but there’s quite a bit for whatever reason are unwilling to call him what he is, over the hill.  Put him in when we’re in the red zone but other than that there’s negative value.

4 hours ago, Greg C. said:

Am I the only Packer fan who feels a tinge of disappointment knowing that Jimmy Graham is probably going to play on Sunday after all? I know it's wrong, but it's hard to feel good about Graham this year. I hope he proves me wrong.

I think even the "Graham was actually good last year" crowd must to recognize by now that he is more or less washed.  That being said, I don't see anyone likely to be an upgrade on the TE depth chart.  Hopefully the young guys can turn into something over the next couple years, but they probably aren't there yet.

33 minutes ago, 15412 said:

I guess I have given up on the idea of Graham making a sustained positive impact for the team and would like to see more Tonyan incorporated in the game planning.  Graham is what he is at this point in his career.  Not to say he can’t have a good game, saying I don’t think it can be sustained.  Lewis has his gig, I’d like to see the two young guys worked into the scheme and planning.  They may make mistakes a veteran would not, but our overly paid veteran is a stiff.

Part of me wishes we would trade him to the Saints or the Patriots just to show that it's at LEAST 70% Rodgers.  If anybody expects 31-year-old Graham to play like Finley, that's on them, but to act like this is simply Jimmy Graham being uneffective is all sorts of wrong. 

Delanie Walker is 35 and he's still effective for the Titans.  16 catches and 2 touchdowns. 
Vernon Davis is 35 and he's got 7 catches for 88 yards and a TD. 

That's Mariota and Keenum I think throwing to them. 

Benjamin Watson was 37 last season and Brees got him the ball 35 times for 400 yards and two touchdowns. 

Richard Rodgers might have been the least athletic tight end ever and he had 58 receptions for 500 yards and 8 touchdowns in 2015. 

This isn't about ability with Rodgers, it's about trust.  For whatever reason, he doesn't trust Graham.  What Graham did in week 1 should be proof that he's still got ability. 

15 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

This isn't about ability with Rodgers, it's about trust.  For whatever reason, he doesn't trust Graham.  What Graham did in week 1 should be proof that he's still got ability. 

Usually your rodgers bashing annoys me but i actually agree with you here. As much as i think arod will play like arod once this offense isnt so new, there is no way he attempts that TD to jimmy if he didnt know that the bears had 12 men on the field.  Its hard to really bash jimmy unless he gets thrown to more

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Part of me wishes we would trade him to the Saints or the Patriots just to show that it's at LEAST 70% Rodgers.  If anybody expects 31-year-old Graham to play like Finley, that's on them, but to act like this is simply Jimmy Graham being uneffective is all sorts of wrong. 

Delanie Walker is 35 and he's still effective for the Titans.  16 catches and 2 touchdowns. 
Vernon Davis is 35 and he's got 7 catches for 88 yards and a TD. 

That's Mariota and Keenum I think throwing to them. 

Benjamin Watson was 37 last season and Brees got him the ball 35 times for 400 yards and two touchdowns. 

Richard Rodgers might have been the least athletic tight end ever and he had 58 receptions for 500 yards and 8 touchdowns in 2015. 

What do Delanie Walker or Vernon Davis or Ben Watson or RR have to do with what Graham is doing?

I'll answer it for you.   Absolutely nothing. 

Graham can't pick himself up and get off the line.  He can not run.  He can't even consistently find a seam like other slow guys do.  He scares nobody.

I'll say myself Rodgers has been a problem in the last few years.  A decent NFL QB that we're paying to be elite.  He holds the ball too long, and ignores the underneath.  He has been making poor decisions.  McCarthy got the blame for that, and now we have to find someone else.  I get that.  But Graham has been pathetic, I get that too.   Now again, I am comparing his present ability to that of all the other NFL starting TE's.   I'm not saying he can not play at all.  I'm saying compared to all the other starting NFL TE's he sucks.   Times 10 when you consider what we're paying the chump.

• Like 1

Just now, 15412 said:

I'll say myself Rodgers has been a problem in the last few years.  A decent NFL QB that we're paying to be elite.  He holds the ball too long, and ignores the underneath.  He has been making poor decisions.  McCarthy got the blame for that, and now we have to find someone else.  I get that.  But Graham has been pathetic, I get that too.   Now again, I am comparing his present ability to that of all the other NFL starting TE's.   I'm not saying he can not play at all.  I'm saying compared to all the other starting NFL TE's he sucks.   Times 10 when you consider what we're paying the chump.

If you honestly think that at 32 years old Graham is less physically capable as 35 and 37 year old tight ends, you're delusional.  Graham does not suck.  He sucks at blocking, but he is still more than capable of being an effective receiving option if he was targeted once in a while. 

Graham has been targeted 6 times. 

• Like 2

Catfish on the menu for gameday. 

Cut 3 pounds of farm-raised catfish into nuggets. 

Marinate overnight in your favorite brown mustard with a little brown sugar. 

Sift a buncha flour with a little salt, pepper, and baking soda. Dredge the nuggets in flour mix and let dry. 

Fry in oil til the color is right.

Watch game and leap to unreasonable takes. 

Edited by Uffdaswede