Jalen Ramsey requests trade from Jaguars

TitanLegend

1 hour ago, showtime said:

What would the Chargers have to give for Ramsey?

I'd really like for Seattle to get in the mix for Fitzpatrick or Ramsey.   They really need to bolster that secondary.

Seattle just got Clowney, they don't need more help on Defense.

As for what the Chargers could give? A 1st rounder plus 3rd and maybe whatever RB the Jags want

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Surprised Chiefs aren’t offering a 1st and 3rd here. They are Super Bowl contenders with the worst secondary in the NFL (yea worse than Miami, for now). 

I don’t expect Cowboys or Patriots to be in play. Bellichick doesn’t pay defensive players and Ramsey wants a long term deal. Cowboys already have to pay wayyyy too many people. 

49ers maybe as well? They are looking like a fringe playoff team and could use help on the back end. Sherman-Ramsey. The nicknames for that tandem would be fun...

It made sense for us to go in on Minkah. He was cheap and young. Makes less sense financially to go for Ramsey. We're going to be pushing things financially already for the next few years just with our guys. Throw on $13M next year and more beyond for Ramsey and it probably breaks things.

And personally, I don't want him anyways. I despise the guy every time we've played against him. He's always the first guy to start swinging that gets the rest of the Jags amped up and trying to start fights with our offense.

Oh, we also don't have the worst secondary in football. S position is actually a strength for us. CB, maybe. But not overall.

26 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

It made sense for us to go in on Minkah. He was cheap and young. Makes less sense financially to go for Ramsey. We're going to be pushing things financially already for the next few years just with our guys. Throw on $13M next year and more beyond for Ramsey and it probably breaks things.

And personally, I don't want him anyways. I despise the guy every time we've played against him. He's always the first guy to start swinging that gets the rest of the Jags amped up and trying to start fights with our offense.

Oh, we also don't have the worst secondary in football. S position is actually a strength for us. CB, maybe. But not overall.

You got torched by a Rookie QB who honestly should be a 3rd stringer at best with his noodle arm and absolutely no weapons except a low-end WR2 in Dede Westbrook. Not to mention last year by farrrr the worst secondary and not much was done to improve it. 

And don’t use my team as an example, Derek Carr doesn’t look past 8 yards and is easy to game plan for. 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

You got torched by a Rookie QB who honestly should be a 3rd stringer at best with his noodle arm and absolutely no weapons except a low-end WR2 in Dede Westbrook. Not to mention last year by farrrr the worst secondary and not much was done to improve it. 

And don’t use my team as an example, Derek Carr doesn’t look past 8 yards and is easy to game plan for. 

FWIW, D.J. Chark does look legit so far this year.

But just like one good game against Carr doesn't make it good, one bad game against the Jags doesn't make it bad, either. Additionally, players or parts of a secondary can get beaten without all of it getting beaten. As for the, not much being done to improve it, that's just blatantly false. We only have one noteworthy player in the entire secondary that carried over from the start of last year. Our secondary in the nickel week 1 last year was Fuller, Nelson, Scandrick, Murray, Parker. Fuller is the only guy even still on the roster from that. Mathieu and Thornhill is a huge improvement at S, specifically, over last year's crew, which is why I called out that our S play makes up for the deficiency at CB. But basically we traded a downgrade from Nelson to Ward, for 3 upgrades goin from Scandrick to Breeland (looks good so far, Scandrick looked atrocious), Murray to Mathieu, and Parker to Thornhill. It's a better secondary than last year. We really just need the one outside CB spot upgraded. Last year we needed like 3 safeties and a starting corner.

5 hours ago, BayRaider said:

49ers maybe as well? They are looking like a fringe playoff team and could use help on the back end. Sherman-Ramsey. The nicknames for that tandem would be fun...

It's been discussed. I don't like it from our end. We aren't flush with cash. Bottom third in the NFL in cap space next year, and kittle / buck / spoon are all eligible for extensions. Armstead, day, Blair and Breida are free agents. 

"Fringe playoff team" isn't close enough for me to make this kind of move for the assets either. We already lack a second round pick, and now we're talking about losing a first + something else. You need cheap, young, solid contributors when you lack money, and we have whiffed on 2 of our first round picks in the last three years, with the Pettis pick looking sketchy, etc. Year early to me. I don't even know if Jimmy is a good quarterback yet.

Also, spoon is the best corner on the team right now, so Ramsey would probably have to push Sherman

• Like 1

4 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I'm here too.

I'd like a good player involved tbh but I think a rebuild is coming anyway...or at least a retool.

At this point, yeah...if Jalen is out, who are we even building around?

Yan (who still isn't signed) and uh...Josh Allen i guess?  Who else is really even a cornerstone piece that isn't on the wrong side of 30?  There's no QB, no OLine, no RB/WR/TE skill guys you build around.  There's no interior DL or LBers worth building around and Jalen's really the only guy in the secondary.  If he goes...it's yet another teardown.  Ugh.

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Why?

We wouldn't trade him at that point. He has a 5th year option next year and no leverage right now.

Jalen has made it abundantly clear he's not playing on that 5th year option.  He has tons of leverage in just sitting his as out for a year, doing more videos where he **** talks the Jags.

3 hours ago, Bullyball said:

Kansas City needs to be all over this. Brett Veach isn't afraid to trade 1st round picks and CB is the biggest weakness on the Chiefs.

Yeah.  KC were the team that came to mind for me.  He'd be a huge upgrade for that team, and it's a place where his personality wouldn't overshadow the team.  He could just slide in and do his job, and the "swag" would be justified.  When you're winning, everything is easy.

6 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

he should definitely get a first but he hasnt been that good in almost a full season. You can call it scheme and not being used correctly but wouldnt the best corners be able to be versatile. I mean, I dare say hes even been picked on a little this year.

The whole thing with a lot of other Jaguars fans, is that they're kinda Jalen fans.  He'd probably run the team and decide who coaches if they were in charge.  He's a phenomenal player, but he gets an inordinate amount of leeway with a lot of fans because of it.

I wouldn't go anywhere near so far as to say he's been "picked on" though.  Far from it.  But this whole griping about how he's been "misused" and "poor Jalen" it's all the fault of multiple DCs who just don't understand him...is so tired.  If a lot of Jags fans had their way, we'd run straight press man 100% of the time, while also rushing 5 and getting rid of that pesky high safety.  What's he even there for?  Who needs a coherent defensive system when you can just have Jalen chase one specific receiver around the field every single snap?

Like, we've got people bitching and moaning about how, "they're not using Jalen right wahhhhhh poor Jalen".  And yet...

4 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Watch the games...

This past week he locked down Nuk. Jalen played lights out.

4 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

He just gave up 27 yards to arguably the best WR in the NFL.

Immediately rushing to the defense of how Elite he's been.  How he's...contrary to this whole "he just playz Zones all the Time" narrative, been tasked with shutting down multiple top receivers.  How is this not using Jalen right?  This is what you use Jalen to do.  This is Jalen maximized.  Who cares what he thinks?

If you have a talent like Jalen, you want to diversify the ways you use him, because he has the talent to thrive in that sort of varied role.  It's when you have barely serviceable players who have serious liabilities in their game, that you want to scheme around that and into a narrow range of roles and responsibilities to try to "hide" them.  Yet people want to force Jalen into basically one singular role, and think that's the problem here.

• Like 2