Whats up with Baker

CBrownsman

7 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

We need a quick pace offense, that's where Baker thrives. Even in college once the game was out of control and they played the run the clock offense you could see him get out of rhythm. Now we are almost always lining up with 7 or 8 seconds on the play clock and from there everything seems rushed. I'm not necessarily saying have a base hurry up offense but I'm not not saying it.

Yeah exactly I agree. 

our coaching has just been idk man 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

We need a quick pace offense, that's where Baker thrives. Even in college once the game was out of control and they played the run the clock offense you could see him get out of rhythm. Now we are almost always lining up with 7 or 8 seconds on the play clock and from there everything seems rushed. I'm not necessarily saying have a base hurry up offense but I'm not not saying it.

The disappearance of pace is one of the oddest things this year. 

Of course, it's difficult to vary pace with pre-snap penalties, but that doesn't explain away why pace has completely disappeared as a tool to develop offensive success.

So much about this season is just puzzling.

My only explanation is that we're trying to play 8-D Chess with the whole "They're going to expect us to call the game with pace but so I'm going to slow it down; they're expecting us to run it with NIck Chubb on 3rd and 3 so I'm not I'm going to put in Dontrell Hilliard to fool them with a run."

This season just blows man. It really really does.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Of course, it's difficult to vary pace with pre-snap penalties, but that doesn't explain away why pace has completely disappeared as a tool to develop offensive success.

My only explanation is that we're trying to play 8-D Chess with the whole "They're going to expect us to call the game with pace but so I'm going to slow it down; they're expecting us to run it with NIck Chubb on 3rd and 3 so I'm not I'm going to put in Dontrell Hilliard to fool them with a run."

We're all going to be talking about that Dontrell Hilliard 3rd and 3 for years to come, another stamp in the Browns collection.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, candyman93 said:

An all time great slight double chin Baker picture in that article. They counted 8 total commercials, but I've personally seen at least 5 different one's not in that article. It makes me wonder what the real total count was. Either way hopefully he takes a different route this offseason.

ede866b9-eb4e-43a5-a217-40151e1c2eb0.png

32 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

An all time great slight double chin Baker picture in that article. They counted 8 total commercials, but I've personally seen at least 5 different one's not in that article. It makes me wonder what the real total count was. Either way hopefully he takes a different route this offseason.

ede866b9-eb4e-43a5-a217-40151e1c2eb0.png

2/10

• Like 1

Freddie told Baker to get away from football and decompress. He also had a wedding. He probably slept nearly every night during the offseason. Sat at the table eating dinner  every night. Hung out with other athletes at restaurants. Breathed, drank water, exercised, etc... Who cares. No player puts in 24/7 attention to football, even Russell Wilson does those exact same things.

The Browns have problems, Mayfield doing normal offseason stuff isn't the cause of those problems.

Should he have been studying what we did last year? Maybe he did because that wouldn't have been helpful at all with the offense we have trotted out this year. How many player designed plays have we ran? How many wishbone plays have we tried? Yeah, OBJ has attempted a couple passes but the excitement that was our offense hasn't been there this year because we line up and do the same things over and over and the defenses know it. We can't use pick plays like the Patriots because we get flagged every time we try it. We can't use a WR to block because it's penalized for a crackback block. We have to be inventive and we're not.

Baker has all of the arm talent in the world and is a plus athlete at the QB position (I know some don't agree with either of those things and you are entitled to see what you want). Baker hasn't made the right decision all the time, not that any QB does, but there are also sloppy and wrong routes, people lining up wrong, Baker playing hero ball, etc... We have issues on both sides of the ball and Baker hasn't been the best QB in the league but if you don't see a franchise QB even with his horrid stats then either you or I are completely terrible at QB evaluating.

• Like 6

On 11/7/2019 at 9:52 PM, Mind Character said:

I couldn't agree with this anymore.

Its like were trying to outsmart ourselves.

Play to our strengths damnit!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So Mayfields fine for criticizing the refs was rescinded. So his beef paid off. Don’t know about you guys but the refs have been kinder to us lately. Maybe Mayfield knows what he’s doing...

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/more-money-in-our-pocket-cleveland-browns-qb-baker-mayfield-happy-to-have-fine-rescinded/95-5ca19ec2-f84a-46d2-bc52-945e76a4ab52

3 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

So Mayfields fine for criticizing the refs was rescinded. So his beef paid off. Don’t know about you guys but the refs have been kinder to us lately. Maybe Mayfield knows what he’s doing...

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/more-money-in-our-pocket-cleveland-browns-qb-baker-mayfield-happy-to-have-fine-rescinded/95-5ca19ec2-f84a-46d2-bc52-945e76a4ab52

I dunno, Randall was ejected even though he led with a shoulder (heads collided which means it should be a 15 yard penalty) so that didn't seem like fair treatment. There were a few penalties (not all) in the Steelers lone TD drive that were imagined by the refs to keep that drive going. Rudolph instigated a fight twice and wasn't ejected. Ogunjobi gave one push and was ejected. Steelers had 41 yards in penalties and we had 121. We only won the game because of Schobert and Rudolph.

I don't know the rule for the illegal touch on the punt taking the punt from inside the 5 to a touchback but I haven't heard anything further so I guess that's the rule?

We had another OPI negating a DPI which seems to happen more to us than anyone.

Not a single hold by the Steelers all game and Garrett was held a lot. How many holding calls has he created this year? 2 maybe? Odd.

If you think the Garrett thing will help us or keep things the same then I'd have to disagree. It only gets worse from here so we'll have to beat everyone by two TDs to have a chance.

3 against the Ravens so that has to be a huge blowout game to have a chance at a win. Prove me wrong NFL.

• Like 2