What made Trubisky stand out in the draft compared to Mahomes and Watson?

Elky

Watson was my #1 by far and 2nd pick behind Myles. Mitch was a Late 1st in the 25-32 range for me. Mahomes was a weird prospect to grade but he'd be #2 behind Watson and ahead of Mitch. Mahomes went right where he should of in the 11-20 range. (Yeah, hindsight, #1 pick, but I'm not using hindsight).

On 9/26/2019 at 2:44 PM, jetjuice said:

Everyone nitpicked Watson and Mahomes, Trubisky was seen to be the "safest" pick IIRC. The critics thought Watson was too erratic and didn't trust Mahomes coming from that Texas Tech system. 

This is pretty spot on. The crazy thing is in hindsight, Mahomes is the perfect prospect. Not only can he make every throw, but he is also mobile and one of the smartest QBs to come out in a while. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

How far would Mahomes have fallen if the Chiefs didn't trade up I heard the niners were interested. 

There was a ton of smoke about the Saints loving Mahomes.  Idk if true, but Dorsey said when it hit Pick 10 that’s when he felt he had to make the move.

26 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

There was a ton of smoke about the Saints loving Mahomes.  Idk if true, but Dorsey said when it hit Pick 10 that’s when he felt he had to make the move.

14 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Pretty sure Saints were very interested.

So the Saints were interested to spend the 11th pick in the draft in 2017 on a very intriguing qb prospect? 

They then trade two first rounders in 2018 2019 for Davenport.  Nothing against Teddy Bridgewater but that just seems like poor planning. I remember in 2018 I swore they traded up for Lamar Jackson lol.

1 minute ago, thebestever6 said:

So the Saints were interested to spend the 11th pick in the draft in 2017 on a very intriguing qb prospect? 

They then trade two first rounders in 2018 2019 for Davenport.  Nothing against Teddy Bridgewater but that just seems like poor planning. I remember in 2018 I swore they traded up for Lamar Jackson lol.

Brees has said he had been playing the last couple years like it was his last. 2017 probably would have been his last had the team been garbage again.  After 2017, they thought they were right on the cusp of a superbowl, hence the trade for Davenport.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Brees has said he had been playing the last couple years like it was his last. 2017 probably would have been his last had the team been garbage again.  After 2017, they thought they were right on the cusp of a superbowl, hence the trade for Davenport.  

all else aside, it's kind of an interesting note that probably the two best offensive coaches in the league had a bead on mahomes.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Do you think the QBOTF is on the roster post Brees?

Just now, -Hope- said:

all else aside, it's kind of an interesting note that probably the two best offensive coaches in the league had a bead on mahomes.

For sure.  I assume Payton would have changed his offense to suit Mahomes' strengths, but with the current Saints offense, Mahomes is better off with Reid.  The Saints don't have the personnel to take advantage of his deep ball skills, and I think he ended up in the best possible place at KC.

Just now, thebestever6 said:

Do you think the QBOTF is on the roster post Brees?

No.  Bridgewater is a stopgap, unless he shows massive progression, and I just don't think Taysom Hill has the passing ability to be a consistent starter.

I think that Bridgewater was brought on the be that guy, but I don't think it's gonna work out.

3 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

No.  Bridgewater is a stopgap, unless he shows massive progression, and I just don't think Taysom Hill has the passing ability to be a consistent starter.

I think that Bridgewater was brought on the be that guy, but I don't think it's gonna work out.

That's definitely going to be interesting with Payton's extension.  I'm curious to see who they identify in the future.  Given they lost out on Mahomes can't rule out a trade up.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2019 at 12:57 PM, Elky said:

Despite only being a starter for one year at North Carolina, Trubisky went second overall in the 2017 draft, over Deshaun Watson, who went to back-to-back National Championships winning one, and Patrick Mahomes, who is arguably the current face of the league. Both Watson and Mahomes were multiyear starters as well. What exactly made Trubisky higher rated among draft pundits besides general ignorance?

Right now Mahomes is arguably the best QB in the league and Watson is one of the most criminally underrated. Trubisky on the other hand is painfully mediocre and is seen as the weak link on a Chicago team that has SB aspirations.

he was tall