What made Trubisky stand out in the draft compared to Mahomes and Watson?

Elky

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

Trubisky was the "safe pick" 

Mahomes was a gunslinger with footwork concerns. Highest ceiling lowest floor. "Turnover-prone"

Watson had arm strength issues(really low mph clocked on his throws) who was carried by a great team around him. 

Not sure he had close to the offensive talent Clemson has now.  Watson was always a supreme alpha and the guy that carried them.

Keim not being aggressive in moving up for these guys with Palmer on his last leg was a traveshamockery.

19 hours ago, Elky said:

What exactly made Trubisky higher rated among draft pundits besides general ignorance?

I can't speak for others, but for me it had more to do with what Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson weren't than what Trubisky was.  I had a second-round grade on Trubisky, but a 3rd round grade on Mahomes and Watson.  I'll freely admit I was wrong, but then again I don't think anyone anticipated Mahomes and Watson being this good.  I was concerned about Watson's ability to limit the turnovers.  And I wasn't a big fan of the fact that his numbers regressed throughout his college career.  As for Mahomes, he was a project and landed in a near ideal situation.  I don't think we'd be looking at Mahomes the same way if he would have landed in a different situation.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

Not sure he had close to the offensive talent Clemson has now.  Watson was always a supreme alpha and the guy that carried them.

Keim not being aggressive in moving up for these guys with Palmer on his last leg was a traveshamockery.

Not pfffensive talent per se. But a great defense and an air raid type of system

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I can't speak for others, but for me it had more to do with what Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson weren't than what Trubisky was.  I had a second-round grade on Trubisky, but a 3rd round grade on Mahomes and Watson.  I'll freely admit I was wrong, but then again I don't think anyone anticipated Mahomes and Watson being this good.  I was concerned about Watson's ability to limit the turnovers.  And I wasn't a big fan of the fact that his numbers regressed throughout his college career.  As for Mahomes, he was a project and landed in a near ideal situation.  I don't think we'd be looking at Mahomes the same way if he would have landed in a different situation.

Well the Chiefs and Texans anticipated them to be very good

Just now, Chiefer said:

Well the Chiefs and Texans anticipated them to be very good

Andy Reid is actually quite underrated as a guy who develops QBs reasonably well.  Might not make them elite QBs, but he's made some QBs serviceable or look a LOT better than they otherwise would.  Alex Smith played the best ball of his career with Andy Reid as his HC, Kevin Kolb looked serviceable, and Michael Vick had his best years under Reid.

I remember people on this board being adamant that Watson didn’t have an NFL arm and benefited too much from playing on a good Clemson team. Mahomes was viewed as a raw project out of a system which had seen very little success transitioning to the league. Trubisky, was therefore seen as the lesser risk, even though he only had one year as a starter at NC. I really didn’t see anything special in him at all. 

Regardless, this is going to continue to look worse and worse for Chicago. If all three continue on their current trajectories – this will be seen as one of the worst picks of all time. 

6 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Trubisky, was therefore seen as the lesser risk, even though he only had one year as a starter at NC. I really didn’t see anything special in him at all

With the amount of work you put into your draft writeups you would know what the pulse was.

And old timer head coach on the hotseat, and young gm this mistake was definitely possible if the trajectory continues. 

Edited by thebestever6

4 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

even though he only had one year as a starter at NC.

I think this is something important that hasn’t been mentioned yet. He had a huge amount of potential - being a great athlete with a great arm - and little starting experience. The assumption was that he was only to get better and better with more experience. 

For me, at least, Trubisky looked like he had the tools to be a pro QB already, with a very small amount of playing time. He looked to have a lot of upside.

I liked Watson too, but I got why a team would prefer Trubisky.

Mahomes I thought was an air raid QB on a gimmicky offense that had never produced a successful QB. I wouldn’t have drafted him at all had I been a GM.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Consider that the two other teams that I know were looking at Mahomes in the first were the Cardinals and Texans. Then yep, you're probably right.