What made Trubisky stand out in the draft compared to Mahomes and Watson?

Elky

4 hours ago, Elky said:

Despite only being a starter for one year at North Carolina, Trubisky went second overall in the 2017 draft, over Deshaun Watson, who went to back-to-back National Championships winning one, and Patrick Mahomes, who is arguably the current face of the league. Both Watson and Mahomes were multiyear starters as well. What exactly made Trubisky higher rated among draft pundits besides general ignorance?

Right now Mahomes is arguably the best QB in the league and Watson is one of the most criminally underrated. Trubisky on the other hand is painfully mediocre and is seen as the weak link on a Chicago team that has SB aspirations.

I would say that the drastic differences in quality of opponents and quality of teammates between college QBs make it much more difficult to scout them than you think.

4 hours ago, FinSting said:

The Bills prolly regret trading away that draft pick to a salivating Chiefs' front office. 

I don't know how but the Bills would have ruined him. Landing Tre White in the trade back softens the blow too lol.

I also can't fault McDermott for not taking a QB when he didn't have his GM in place yet and had only been on staff for 4 months. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bzane said:

pro-ready

What does pro ready mean? 

Serious question. A pro style offense is constantly evolving so that's not it. RPOs out of the GUN were the big deal because philly won a superbowl with it.

Multiple reads are nice to process defenses, tight window throws are nice to determine accuracy.

Great footwork is literally the only thing I care about to make a guy proready, and multiple read offenses.

Edited by thebestever6

Hobo's 2017 QBs (Part II of III)

Deshaun Watson... What could be said? This kid, heading into the 2016 college football season, was one of the hottest names in sports. 

The Heisman runner-up brought the Clemson football program into the spotlight after a nearly flawless season in '15. There wasn't much of anything he DIDN'T show that he could do in his sophomore season for the Tigers. Was he mobile? You bet. Could he beat you with rhythm? Yeppers. Could he effectively work the intermediate parts of the field? Yeah. Could he throw it deep? Well, we saw flashes. Could he command a locker room? For sure.

See, there wasn't really a better year for someone like a Deshaun Watson to enter the draft with his skillset. During Watson's junior year, we had Marcus Mariota making great strides as a mobile rhythm passer, despite a bad scheme. Heck, didn't Mariota make the Pro Bowl in his rookie season? Cam Newton, renowned for his mobility, was just off of an MVP season and a Super Bowl appearance. During the season, Dak Prescott emerged as the top rookie QB, dramatically outplaying Jared Goff and Carson Wentz. Dak is especially important, I think, for how everything went for Deshaun.

Now, just as with pretty much every player, as we saw with Sam Darnold, Matt Barkley, and we'll probably see with Justin Herbert this year, analysts and scouts like to nitpick if you're a known commodity coming off of a great season. Opposing teams are better prepared to face you. Just ask fellow 2017 draftees Leonard Fournette and Christian McCaffery. Teams, instead of having really just four - maybe five if your team is bad - but four months to REALLY look at a guy with full intensity, and break everything you see down - in situations where you break out and have a high grade and stay in school, or you break out big time a year before you're eligible, teams can analyze you big-time for a whole off-season, then during the whole season, then during the Pre-Draft process. They can rip you apart. And there's certainly added pressure in those cases. 

Anyways, teams had a whole year to overanalyze Deshaun Watson and downplay his playmaking ability, start to question his deep passing ability and consistency there, question whether he's even a truly elite athlete.

It hurt him. A dude that seemed like a sure-fire #1 overall pick was reportedly getting second-round grades from anonymous teams before the season was even over. (I think it was Daniel Jeremiah who reported that in a tweet)

Then the Alabama game happened. Watson came back for revenge after his heroics weren't enough to beat Bama in January of 16. It was a slugfest, and Watson won. He single-handedly carried Clemson to the win. I don't care what you say about his tools, but Deshaun Watson's knack playmaking and leadership are some of the best I've ever seen in a QB.

The arrival of a successful QB like Dak who was mobile with fantastic character grades, really paved the way for Watson to be the 12th overall pick, in my opinion. Yes, crazy good "it" factor - but Watson, not Mahomes, was the one with major turnover concerns, in my opinion. And Watson didn't have the raw game-breaking athleticism to make ill-advised throws work the way that Mahomes does. This led to me giving Watson a first-round grade, with a comp for a more athletic Alex Smith, but with better leadership and more of a fondness for gutsy throws.

6 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

I was all in on Watson; those two back to back Championship games sold me. Didn't know Mitch existed until the draft grew closer, and only thought of Mahommes as the guy I would target for my Madden team.

Watson only won 1 championship. He did play in two though. Mitch reeked of bust, even before he was drafted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malik said:

Jets could have drafted either Mahomes or Watson. I will continue to say this for the next 30 years of my life

So weird how the Jets and Dolphins make draft snafus year after year and they are in the same division. It's like we work together to make Brady's life easier. 

Yeah, I predicted all of this too before the draft. I said Mahomes would set the world on fire and go on to break records. I also said Watson would be an above average QB and Mitch would not work out. 9_9

Next threads to be created:

• What made Michel stand out compared to Chubbs?
  • What made Drucken stand out compared to Plummer?
  • What made Paxton stand out compared to Dak?
  • What made Ryan Leaf stand out compared to Griese and Hasslebeck?
  • What made Eli stand out compared to Rivers and Ben?
  • What made Pennington and Redman stanbd out compared to Bulger and Brady?
  • What made Fournette stand out compared to McCaffrey, Dalvin Cook, Alvin Kamara and Joe Mixon?
  • What made Shane Vareen stand out compared to Demarco Murray?
  • What made Vick stand out compared to Drew Brees?
  • What made Alex Smith stand out compared to Rodgers?
  • What made Luck, Griffen, Tannehill, Weeden and Osweiler stand out compared to Russell Wilson?
  • What made Couch and akili stand out compared to McNabb and Culpepper?