What made Trubisky stand out in the draft compared to Mahomes and Watson?

Elky

12 hours ago, Elky said:

Jimmy Clausen was the "most pro-ready prospect ever."

I also thought Rosen was. Oops.

I got an B+ on my 2017 QB predictions (thought Kizer was better than Trubisky) but my biggest oof moment is probably that I had Rosen rated 3rd in 2018 (although I had 5 QBs with first-round grades) and Baker Mayfield rated 5th.

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

With the amount of work you put into your draft writeups you would know what the pulse was.

And old timer head coach on the hotseat, and young gm this mistake was definitely possible if the trajectory continues. 

The weird thing being the move up for Trubisky meant that Chicago not only rated him far above Mahomes and Watson, they thought there was no scenario they would be willing to compromise with the other two. That's astonishing. 

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

they thought there was no scenario they would be willing to compromise with the other two. That's astonishing. 

That was what shocked me way more than the selection even though I didn't necessarily love it.

Two thirds and a 4th that's a ton for one spot.

Edited by thebestever6

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Andy Reid is actually quite underrated as a guy who develops QBs reasonably well.  Might not make them elite QBs, but he's made some QBs serviceable or look a LOT better than they otherwise would.  Alex Smith played the best ball of his career with Andy Reid as his HC, Kevin Kolb looked serviceable, and Michael Vick had his best years under Reid.

Hes great at scheming guys open. Alex never had the field vision to get the ball to the open man consistently enough.

Mahomes has "sniper vision" according to Reid. He sees a guy coming open 35 yards away and the ball placement to put it into a spot only the receiver can catch it. Effective Throws from any platform and tge eyes to manipulate a defense.

He wouldve been successful without Reid no doubt in my mind. Hes got the drive to be the BOAT. 

Edited by Chiefer

22 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Yeah, I predicted all of this too before the draft. I said Mahomes would set the world on fire and go on to break records. I also said Watson would be an above average QB and Mitch would not work out. 9_9

Next threads to be created:

• What made Michel stand out compared to Chubbs?
  • What made Drucken stand out compared to Plummer?
  • What made Paxton stand out compared to Dak?
  • What made Ryan Leaf stand out compared to Griese and Hasslebeck?
  • What made Eli stand out compared to Rivers and Ben?
  • What made Pennington and Redman stanbd out compared to Bulger and Brady?
  • What made Fournette stand out compared to McCaffrey, Dalvin Cook, Alvin Kamara and Joe Mixon?
  • What made Shane Vareen stand out compared to Demarco Murray?
  • What made Vick stand out compared to Drew Brees?
  • What made Alex Smith stand out compared to Rodgers?
  • What made Luck, Griffen, Tannehill, Weeden and Osweiler stand out compared to Russell Wilson?
  • What made Couch and akili stand out compared to McNabb and Culpepper?

Those are all fair threads to create and discuss. This is a football forum. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I can't speak for others, but for me it had more to do with what Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson weren't than what Trubisky was.  I had a second-round grade on Trubisky, but a 3rd round grade on Mahomes and Watson.  I'll freely admit I was wrong, but then again I don't think anyone anticipated Mahomes and Watson being this good. 

Outside of Mahomes winning MVP on his first year as a starter, I have no idea what you're talking about. Absolutely everybody thought they'd be good. And weren't third round prospects. I mean--are you even serious? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

The weird thing being the move up for Trubisky meant that Chicago not only rated him far above Mahomes and Watson, they thought there was no scenario they would be willing to compromise with the other two. That's astonishing. 

What do you mean by "compromise"? The Browns were going to do some dealings to move up and take Trubisky. The Bears had him as their top QB, and did what it took to get him, and it was a fairly minor deal. They may well have been wrong in their assessment, but explain how that was "astonishing"? 

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I can't speak for others, but for me it had more to do with what Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson weren't than what Trubisky was.  I had a second-round grade on Trubisky, but a 3rd round grade on Mahomes and Watson.  I'll freely admit I was wrong, but then again I don't think anyone anticipated Mahomes and Watson being this good.  I was concerned about Watson's ability to limit the turnovers.  And I wasn't a big fan of the fact that his numbers regressed throughout his college career.  As for Mahomes, he was a project and landed in a near ideal situation.  I don't think we'd be looking at Mahomes the same way if he would have landed in a different situation.

I'm in sort of the same boat. I had Watson as a late first rounder, but I had Trubs and Mahomes out of the first round. I thought Mahomes was just so crazy raw with so many things to fix that it was going to take a while, and I didn't know if a team could be that patient with him. Trubisky I just wasn't a fan of. 

6 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Outside of Mahomes winning MVP on his first year as a starter, I have no idea what you're talking about. Absolutely everybody thought they'd be good. And weren't third round prospects. I mean--are you even serious? 

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=20686555#20686555

I had Trubisky graded out as a second round prospect.  I thought he was a Dak Prescott-level of QB.  I didn't think he would ever be viewed as an elite QB, but I thought he was someone that would have a relatively high floor.  I just didn't see that "franchise" level of QB out of him.  He was going to be a second or third tier QB at his peak.  Deshaun Watson had a crazy amount of individual and team success, and his numbers regressed through his years in college.  We've seen enough QB college starts flop in the NFL, so it wouldn't have been totally surprising if Watson would have flopped.  As for Mahomes, he was a big ball of clay.  You saw the tremendous physical tools both in terms of his arm and his legs, but he was far from a finished product.  Texas Tech's offense was at best a minimal read offense, and played almost exclusively out of the shotgun.  In terms of the nuances of the position, he was a total unknown.  In any given draft, you're usually going to find no more than one franchise QB in a given draft.  The statistical odds of finding two franchise QBs in a given draft isn't very high.

• Like 1

Watson’s arm was in question. Unsure if he was the reason for team success. Statistical regression. QBs that are great runners get some side eye, off the bat. 

Mahomes was viewed as a project. Came out of an air-raid offense, so many questioned whether how he’d be able to acclimate. 

Both were drafted higher than I thought they’d go. Picking Trubisky over them at the time wasn’t seen as crazy or even wrong at the time, IMO. 

• Like 1

On 24/9/2019 at 5:51 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Read their draft profiles and see if you can spot the clues on why people were so high on him but so low on the others:

Trubiski: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/mitch-trubisky?id=2558008

Watson: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/deshaun-watson?id=2558063

Mahomes: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/patrick-mahomes?id=2558125

I think that Trubisky issues were there in plain sight. Specially the below statement. The comparison with Gabbert, in the sense that how easily Mitch is rattled and confused by pressure, has turned out to be his major drawback in the NFL. Moreover, his a rythm quarterback, you need only to force one bad play to get on his mind and he rapidly looses confidence. 

There are times he looks like another Carson Wentz and then there are times he looks like Blaine Gabbert. He has starting qualities and he'll go early, but he better get better at seeing blitzes and throwing hot or he'll get eaten alive by the exotic packages they are throwing at quarterbacks these days."

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

What do you mean by "compromise"? The Browns were going to do some dealings to move up and take Trubisky. The Bears had him as their top QB, and did what it took to get him, and it was a fairly minor deal. They may well have been wrong in their assessment, but explain how that was "astonishing"? 

Because that move doesn't just tell us how high they were on Trubisky, but how low they must have been on the alternatives. 

On 9/25/2019 at 10:39 AM, JustAnotherFan said:

Yeah, I predicted all of this too before the draft. I said Mahomes would set the world on fire and go on to break records. I also said Watson would be an above average QB and Mitch would not work out. 9_9

Next threads to be created:

• What made Michel stand out compared to Chubbs?
  • What made Drucken stand out compared to Plummer?
  • What made Paxton stand out compared to Dak?
  • What made Ryan Leaf stand out compared to Griese and Hasslebeck?
  • What made Eli stand out compared to Rivers and Ben?
  • What made Pennington and Redman stanbd out compared to Bulger and Brady?
  • What made Fournette stand out compared to McCaffrey, Dalvin Cook, Alvin Kamara and Joe Mixon?
  • What made Shane Vareen stand out compared to Demarco Murray?
  • What made Vick stand out compared to Drew Brees?
  • What made Alex Smith stand out compared to Rodgers?
  • What made Luck, Griffen, Tannehill, Weeden and Osweiler stand out compared to Russell Wilson?
  • What made Couch and akili stand out compared to McNabb and Culpepper?

I WAS THE FIRST ONE WHO WANTED TO GO TO WAR!!!!!