Week 5 GDT - Cleveland Browns at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Definitely possible. Our defense has held it down thus far, but the Browns may have enough balance and weapons to get off on us. 

I don't think that will be the case though as our pass rush will be good enough to contain their offense. It comes down to how our OL is able to handle their DL and if we can protect the ball. 

They have balance and their WR's present a potential mismatch. The issue I see is the guy delivering the ball. Baker is terribly inconsistent and does not handle pressure well. The game will be won by the defensive line's ability to get pressure and the offense's ability to run the ball.

I see people still don't have full trust in this team and staff and I get it, but it is time to start believing in what is on the field. 49ers pass defense has allowed the third best completion pctg. at 57.1 and the least amount of YPG at 208. I just do not see Cleveland being able to throw the ball consistently. Even against a young corner.

Should be a good game that I can see going either way.

Your pass rush and DL will be a good test for us. Our OL played well last week, but Baltimore's pass rush is pretty lackluster. If you guys can get after Baker, our offense could struggle. Our offense finally seemed to get it together, but was that a fluke or a sign of things to come? And you guys have an advantage in that we're traveling out West when you guys are coming off a bye week.

Either way, I think this will be an entertaining game.

Edited by DawgX

It's not that I have a bad feeling about this game, it's that the Browns are the best team we have faced so far this season.  As much as I like the wins so far, I also want to see how we do against better teams.  If we lose big, fine.  It gives me a better idea of where we're at so far and where we need to improve.  If we win, maybe it will shut up some of the "undefeated, but you guys haven't faced a real team yet."   Either way, I'm excited for this one.  I hate bye weeks!

1 hour ago, DawgX said:

Should be a good game that I can see going either way.

Your pass rush and DL will be a good test for us. Our OL played well last week, but Baltimore's pass rush is pretty lackluster. If you guys can get after Baker, our offense could struggle. Our offense finally seemed to get it together, but was that a fluke or a sign of things to come? And you guys have an advantage in that we're traveling out West when you guys are coming off a bye week.

Either way, I think this will be an entertaining game.

I do think that it will be an enjoyable game. I really can see this one going either way. Honestly, it may be a case of whomever shoots themselves in the foot the least. We are both young and up and coming teams, so it's natural that both teams may have some issues with that as they are going forward. I know that we have this season (hello multiple unforced turnovers against Pitt!) and you guys of course had the Titans game. part of the growing experience. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ataal said:

It's not that I have a bad feeling about this game, it's that the Browns are the best team we have faced so far this season.  As much as I like the wins so far, I also want to see how we do against better teams.  If we lose big, fine.  It gives me a better idea of where we're at so far and where we need to improve.  If we win, maybe it will shut up some of the "undefeated, but you guys haven't faced a real team yet."   Either way, I'm excited for this one.  I hate bye weeks!

Well if you beat the Browns they'll say the Browns suck again so you won't get any credibility. If you lose then the Browns are for real and you lost to a legitimate team. The best thing for the 49ers is to lose a close battle against the Browns so the 49ers will have proven they can play with the good teams.

Maybe relay that to the 49ers players and coaches.

Appreciate helping ya

49 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well if you beat the Browns they'll say the Browns suck again so you won't get any credibility. If you lose then the Browns are for real and you lost to a legitimate team. The best thing for the 49ers is to lose a close battle against the Browns so the 49ers will have proven they can play with the good teams.

Maybe relay that to the 49ers players and coaches.

Appreciate helping ya

Unlike the browns, the 49ers care more about wins than they do about what people think about them. 

As for this game, I do think it will be exciting in the sense there should be a healthy dose of huge offensive plays from both sides, I expect both teams to turn the ball over (more than once) and I anticipate a fair amount of sacks for both sides. So the splash plays will be there. 

WHY THE 49ERS WILL WIN:

- pressure up the middle in Mayfield's face. It's time for Buckner to step up and be the guy we know him to be. He hasn't gotten going yet. Also, I expect this to be NICK BOSAs coming out party 

- the run game. The browns have very good coverage and a stout front. I don't think they have the speed to keep the edge against our stretch zone scheme though. This should be breidas game to get 15+ touches, as he has the speed to simply out run their DLmen and neutralize the strength of their DL, which is literally their strength. I also think this will be a game we can screen them a few times early and then take some deep shots later once the defensive line softens up

- no dumb mistakes on offense 

- I have a sneaky feeling that DEEBO will go bananas this week. This is the biggest game of his life and the guy is an absolute bulldog who fights tooth and nail every snap. They will obviously keep the focus on kittle so there will be spaces open in their zone defense for other guys 

- Kyle's familiarity with Steve wilks. He was obviously the HC of the cards last year and we lost to them twice on some dumb dumb dumb things happening with CJ beathard as our QB. We have the schematic advantage this week 

WHY THE NINERS WILL LOSE

- Odell / Landry having their way with our corners. I absolutely HATE how we only use Sherman on one side of the field. I've said it over and over that it lets the other team dictate matchups on the outside. That means they can just line Odell up to the left and go at Mosley all day. It was fine earlier because we had two really good corners with similar physical traits so the matchups didn't matter as much. Now, with the disparity between our two corners, we shouldn't let the other team choose who to go after so easily. It's a damn shame Witherspoon is out because he is a perfect guy to shut down Odell. He has the length, movement ability, and speed you need against Odell. Sherman is crafty but he simply isn't fast enough to cover Odell at this point. I am worried about the play action to a quick slant on soft coverage. We need to limit big plays from their WRs

- Justin skule not being able to handle the bull rush from Myles Garrett. Garrett honestly doesn't have that many pass rushing moves but he bullies guys with his incredible physical ability. Skule held his own last week but this week should present its own challenges.

- dumb turnovers and penalties on offense 

In the end, we continue to overcome what's in front of us and keep the win streak alive. This team is different. We are hungry and confident in a way we haven't been in this era of 49er football. I expect us to play a strong game under the lights. Shouldn't be a lot of browns fans there but also a sold out game, so it should be really loud. 

GO NINERS 

We don’t always shut down threads, but when we do, it’s after winning games and on another team’s forum. 

Thankfully for you all, mitigating factor was us hating the Ravens and them being a fragile group that hated being told factual opinions. I like you all though ...

Browns 23

49ers 17

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

We don’t always shut down threads, but when we do, it’s after winning games and on another team’s forum. 

Thankfully for you all, mitigating factor was us hating the Ravens and them being a fragile group that hated being told factual opinions. I like you all though ...

Browns 23

49ers 17

Hard to see the niners only scoring 17 points with kyle Shanahan off a bye week 

Thank you for showing up, here is a participation trophy 🏆

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N4L said:

Hard to see the niners only scoring 17 points with kyle Shanahan off a bye week 

Thank you for showing up, here is a participation trophy 🏆

I agree. It's too many. The 49ers average only 11 points coming off the bye week in the Shanahan era. 17 is a real stretch.

• Like 1