What do you think of Jay Gruden?

patriotsheatyan

Putting aside smoking video.

This is, at this point, almost certainly his last season in Washington. Up until now the team hasn’t been bad while he’s been coach and he hasn’t had much to work with. But his team is now 0-4 and he’s made the playoffs once in five (soon to be six) years, as a one and doned 9-7 team no less.

How much of Washington’s trouble under Gruden have been because of Gruden? Assuming he’s fired this season, does he deserve an opportunity elsewhere?

I can see him being a decent offensive coordinator but based off his recent video, I question his decision making and leadership. Especially, because it happened during the season

Therefore, I could not see him being a strong head coach 

Edited by rocky_rams

3 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

I can see him being a decent offensive coordinator but based off his recent video, I question his decision making and leadership. Especially, because it happened during the season

Therefore, I could not see him being a strong head coach 

For smoking a joint?  Gotta be honest I’m not sure that qualifies as bad decision making especially if he didn’t know he was being filmed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

There are some terrible puns and dad jokes in this thread.

Someone needs to weed out the bad ones and get this thread back on track before it goes up in smoke. 

It's a chronic issue for a hotboxed coach. 

Jokes aside, I blame Dan Snyder for a good deal of the losing. It's been a long time since a head coach has had real success in Washington. 

Gruden helped Cousins look like gold, had Alex Smith looking decent, Colt McCoy hasn't been terrible, and even Keenum played ok by Keenum standards. Snyder broke the bank for RG3 against Shanahan's wishes and now apparently did much of the same with Haskins, who I never understood as a 1st or even 2nd rounder. 

Until Snyder stops meddling, I don't see any coach having any real success. I know some of the onus falls on the coach to work with what he's got, but I feel like Gruden has checked out, at least in part, under the realization that he'll never get the type of control he needs to be successful. 

Jay will probably land an OC spot next year, if he doesn't Kingsbury or Gase his way into another HC gig by failing upwards. I've actually scratched my head a few times with Redskins drafts, and if Snyder is so anal about having "his" QB, I have to assume he gets like that for many positions in the draft and free agency. That's almost always a recipe for disaster. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, footbull3196 said:

For smoking a joint?  Gotta be honest I’m not sure that qualifies as bad decision making especially if he didn’t know he was being filmed

Not for only smoking a joint. First, for being out that late during the season. Second for looking like he was intoxicated and sitting on the floor. Third, for approaching a girl while married?

4 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

Not for only smoking a joint. First, for being out that late during the season. Second for looking like he was intoxicated and sitting on the floor. Third, for approaching a girl while married?

I'll give you the last one, but I dont think the other two are a big deal.  Plus, players are out that late during the season all the time and nobody bats an eye if they miss a curfew