Pack at Dallas Post Game: Four and One

mikebpackfan

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

We're in Year 2.  If Josh Jackson hasn't managed to turn the corner, it's not likely he will.

I sure am glad that fans aren't the GM.  How many of you were ready to give up on Davante Adams his second year? - or thought that Hyde and Hayward were JAG's in 2015.  If someone isn't ready their first or second year, they are wasted picks.  Speaking of "wasted picks", that's the label a lot of fans had for Rogers his first 3 years.

How Davante Adams Rose Above His Doubters to Become an Elite Wide Receiver

Edited by Starr2Max
link wouldn't work
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Starr2Max said:

I sure am glad that fans aren't the GM.  How many of you were ready to give up on Davante Adams his second year? - or thought that Hyde and Hayward were JAG's in 2015.  If someone isn't ready their first or second year, they are wasted picks.  Speaking of "wasted picks", that's the label a lot of fans had for Rogers his first 3 years.

Nobody is saying that you cut him and move on. You just can't go into next season with a plan for him to be among your top 3 CBs. He's just fine chilling as the Dime DB and if he proves himself to be more than that, great. If not, you're not bleeding points. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Starr2Max said:

Adams showed in his rookie year vs NE and DAL he could be a player.  Jackson has not had that level of production in his 1+ years thus far.  

1 hour ago, Starr2Max said:

Davante Adams couldn't get on the field because he wasn't healthy.  Josh Jackson can't get on the field because he's legitimately not one of our best DBs.

25 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Davante Adams couldn't get on the field because he wasn't healthy.  Josh Jackson can't get on the field because he's legitimately not one of our best DBs.

Yes.  Adams should NOT be used as the example for experience-based growth.  He should be used as an example of how injury impacts performance.  

He had no ankles and played bad as a result, not because he was young.  

12 hours ago, CWood21 said:

We're in Year 2.  If Josh Jackson hasn't managed to turn the corner, it's not likely he will.

I mean, it's not especially likely that any second round pick is going to work out (<50% chance), but there are a lot of Parallels between Jackson and Josh Norman, who broke out in year 4.  Remember, Josh Jackson was playing WR 3 years ago, so he was always going to take longer than some other guys.

2 hours ago, Starr2Max said:

How many of you were ready to give up on Davante Adams his second year?

The difference in position is pretty real here.  CBs don't usually mature in their 3rd years. They usually show something the first year, get a lot better the 2nd, and then slowly get better.  WRs tend to break out due to opportunity and being a focal point of the offense.   And that's earned over time.

On defense, the ball comes to you.  And either you acquit yourself and stop being targeted.  Or you don't and become a liability and someone your coordinator stresses about and looks to replace.  Jackson is the latter right now.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

I think Micah Hyde is a reasonable comparison.  So, I guess we let him go to some other team after his contract is up so he can blossom. 

that's not even a close comparison at all.  Micah Hyde was someone the FANS hated, but the coaching staff loved.  He played slightly out of position here, but he was always one of the top 5-6 DBs on this team, and always played a ton of snaps regardless of opponent since his rookie year.

Jackson is a guy the coaching staff is actively avoiding putting on the field until injuries force their hand.  They are reluctant to play their 2nd round DB over will redmond and raven greene and the list goes on.

10 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

that's not even a close comparison at all.  Micah Hyde was someone the FANS hated, but the coaching staff loved.  He played slightly out of position here, but he was always one of the top 5-6 DBs on this team, and always played a ton of snaps regardless of opponent since his rookie year.

Jackson is a guy the coaching staff is actively avoiding putting on the field until injuries force their hand.  They are reluctant to play their 2nd round DB over will redmond and raven greene and the list goes on.

I don’t think our db depth was then what it is now. 

but, ok, cut Jackson. Cool. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

Adams showed in his rookie year vs NE and DAL he could be a player.  Jackson has not had that level of production in his 1+ years thus far.  

To be fair, he showed in the season opener vs CHI last season that he could be a player.  He absolutely shut down Trey Burton and had a big impact on special teams.  We haven’t seen much since then unfortunately. 

3 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

To be fair, he showed in the season opener vs CHI last season that he could be a player.  He absolutely shut down Trey Burton and had a big impact on special teams.  We haven’t seen much since then 

If he was a bit more hard nosed he could find a spot, but a zone guy who's not a tough tackle is going to be sitting a lot with Pettine. If he could emerge as the 3rd safety and shadow TEs I'd be super into it though.