the green bay packers vefrsus the detroit loins 2019 MNF (week 5): the return of the incomparable tony brown PART DEUX

FinneasGage

which button man is gonna corral the packer city magic when it mattes most in the game   

38 members have voted

1. 1. which button man is gonna corral the packer city magic when it mattes most in the game

• rubella martin
    • korean robinson
    • brett swine
    • diondre borrelia
    • jake tonedburger
    • tori gouty
    • jamarko symptoms

Why listen to us?  We are biased Packer fans, knuckle-dragging, mouth breathers, so to speak.

Here's what Kenny Golladay thought after the game:

Asked about pass-interference penalties on Monday, wide receiver Kenny Golladay said the Lions "can't leave it up to" officials to make calls.

"They make bad calls all the time, so we got to go out there and pretty much just make the play," he said.

41 minutes ago, Leader said:

Geeezzzzz TL. Is there a bottom to all this?

Dude. It's a conversation about expanding the review system to include all calls.

A few of you are pretty reasonable, but a majority of you seem shocked that discussions are happening on a football discussion forum. Even more confusing, you keep these dreaded discussions alive by responding. Why even click "Quote"?

5 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Dude. It's a conversation about expanding the review system to include all calls.

A few of you are pretty reasonable, but a majority of you seem shocked that discussions are happening on a football discussion forum. Even more confusing, you keep these dreaded discussions alive by responding. Why even click "Quote"?

Ever heard of the concept of something being talked out? Still havent touched on all the varying aspects of this highly complex situation?

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

Ever heard of the concept of something being talked out? Still havent touched on all the varying aspects of this highly complex situation?

Yeah. I was shocked that you continued the conversation, as you clearly feel that way.

Striker and I were discussing expanded replay. Just got on the topic. I made a response, he didn't reply. It was dead. You observe the dead conversation, grab your AED and start slapping sensors all over it, simultaneously shouting "WHY WONT YOU DIE?!". So strange.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway

11 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Yeah. I was shocked that you continued the conversation, as you clearly feel that way. Striker and I were discussing expanded replay. Just got on the topic. I made a response, he didn't reply. It was dead. You observe the dead conversation, grab your AED and start slapping sensors all over it, simultaneously shouting "WHY WONT YOU DIE?!". So strange.

It was dead? Apologies for resurrecting it! RIP then.

58 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Yeah. I was shocked that you continued the conversation, as you clearly feel that way.

Striker and I were discussing expanded replay. Just got on the topic. I made a response, he didn't reply. It was dead. You observe the dead conversation, grab your AED and start slapping sensors all over it, simultaneously shouting "WHY WONT YOU DIE?!". So strange.

I don't know that not getting a reply within an hour means the conversation is "dead". Unless you're the type of guy that texts your girl and gets pissed if she doesn't respond right away. 

14 minutes ago, snackattack said:

No, you brought this back. Seriously, what is the downside to making everything reviewable if you kept number of challenges the same?

My thoughts exactly. Let the coaches decide how to use those challenges. They'll either waste them, or the league will have a chance to overturn an incorrect call.

9 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

I don't know that not getting a reply within an hour means the conversation is "dead". Unless you're the type of guy that texts your girl and gets pissed if she doesn't respond right away. 

Well, no. I've been married for 15 years.

I hadn't responded when he asked why I was still discussing things, which was my point: I wasn't the one keeping it alive. I responded, then waited for a reply. If he never replied, I wouldn't have said anything about it.

5 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Why is there a notion that I'm not "dealing with it" because I want to have a reasonable discussion on a football forum? It's such a confusing stance.

Just discussion man.

It is probably that you continue this narrative of being wronged.  You seem to try to argue a point that isn't going to end well for you,, as every team has been wronged.

Crap happens in the NFL.  Go watch the Fail Mary enough.  Heck over here we still say JERRY RICE FUMBLED!  It happens to every team.  It's how your team deals with adversity that counts.  Move on.  Go get the next one.  And if you want to make a point?  Try burying GB in your house.  Which is what I'm watching for.  Will the Lions get mad and elevate their play?  Or will they wither away, again, and lose their season because of a couple of questionable calls.  My hope is that you rebound and crush a few other division opponents and line up a great game on your field later in the year.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Striker said:

Bad calls happen. NFL officiating has a lot of things to clean up. I do think it would benefit them to get younger officials in there, maybe set a mandatory retirement age. It's a young man's game, you should try to keep those on the field who can keep up physically and are at their mental peak as well.

With that being said - we also have to remember that we, as fans, get to watch each call in slow motion from multiple camera angles. Refs generally get one shot in real time from one angle. If you think about Bakh's head movement I could see how an official could see hands to face while moving at real time. However, most fans won't think like that. And so we get outrage towards officials at all levels of the game (regardless of the sport) and a talent drain with young officials because, honestly, who would want to put up with this **** from fans/players/coaches?

Also:

I have no idea how you could say "were likely worse statistically". This is something you could *literally* look up.

The Packers had 22 first downs to Detroit's 13. 170 rushing yards to 56. 283 passing yards to 265. 3 sacks to 1. 6 penalties to 8. And 33:04 TOP to Detroit's 26:56. The only area they trailed was the scoreboard and the turnover margin.

@Striker, let's say for the sake of argument that there is an "Eye in the Sky" ref.  Head official who can overturn any call that is blatantly wrong.  Do either of those calls get overturned?

5 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Great post, great points.

I could look it up... but I've looked up so much nonsense over the last few hours and decided not to. You're right: statistically, the Packers were superior in most categories.

That being said, I think this provokes another conversation, and one that some might call "whining". In my opinion, the Lions had key drives stopped with questionable officiating decisions, while the Packers had drives extended by penalties on 3rd down, including both TD drives. (The Kerryon incompletion and the missed DPI were both on 3rd down, and both ended drives.) No, the calls weren't the reason that we lost, but those calls matter in terms of yards, TOP, first downs, etc.

Look, I'm a fan of the "Eye in the Sky" judge for every game.  Head official in the booth looking at everything who can overturn anything they see fit.

Do any of those calls or non-calls get reversed by an Eye In the Sky?  

No, it isn't whining, but it is borderline.  Do us all all a favor and beat the Bears and Vikings.  Prove your worth.  Do that and I"ll invite your perceived "whining".