Bold prediction: Jared Goff will be benched!

Elky

17 hours ago, DannyB said:

Whoa, hold up...the PRO BOWL!? Damn I'm sorry, I thought that was only reserved for amazing quarterbacks like Derek Carr, Andy Dalton, Alex Smith, Teddy Bridgewater, Jameis Winston, Eli Manning, Tyrod Taylor, Matthew Stafford, Nick Foles, Matt Schaub, Matt Cassel, David Garrard, Vince Young, Jay Cutler, Kerry Collins, Derek Anderson, Matt Hasselbeck, Jeff Garcia, and...oh! Jared Goff!

Bulk yardage means nothing, and 13 interceptions isn't great. And again, that's the BEST stretch of games you picked.

Look, I don't know how good Goff will ultimately be. But it's totally fair to think he's not what the numbers from the first half of '18 suggested he could be, and perhaps the Rams overpaid.

That's not the best stretch of games I picked. Those were the final 5 games of the year. My point was that people did that last year with Goff to try and create a narrative. I could just as easily do it this year. It's a poor way of evaluating QB play. And if you're actually scoffing at a 5000+ yard, 35 TD, and 98.2 PR season, well, you're nuts.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 8:44 PM, Elky said:

Even though one could easily argue he was never really that good under Sean McVay, Jared Goff's deficincies at playing quarterback have been glaringly obvious ever since being exposed by Chicago in 2018. Since that game (including playoffs), he's tossed just 17 touchdowns to 15 interceptions.

Although he has flaws of his own, I think LA would benefit from starting Blake Bortles. He has more upside than Goff and can develop into being a franchise quarterback now that he has proper coaching.

Couldn't agree with you more about Jared Goff and how terrible he really is.  

But, Blake Bortles wouldn't be the answer.   

When he passes the ball, it floats and doesn't have much poise at all in the pocket.  

That's why he ran the football so much.  Sincerely doubt that he's going to improve any time soon.  

9 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

That's not the best stretch of games I picked. Those were the final 5 games of the year. My point was that people did that last year with Goff to try and create a narrative. I could just as easily do it this year. It's a poor way of evaluating QB play. And if you're actually scoffing at a 5000+ yard, 35 TD, and 98.2 PR season, well, you're nuts.

No, that was his best 5-game stretch of the year. That's why you picked it, you were making a point about picking a specific stretch of games. And that's fine, but here's the thing: Earlier in this season, people were going off essentially AN ENTIRE SEASON'S worth of games. The last 5 games of the 2018 regular season, the playoffs, and 7 or 8 games this season. That's 15-16 games. Slightly more telling than 5 games. Is it the final verdict, written in stone about Goff? Certainly not, but let's not pretend it was a few lackluster games that people were blowing out of proportion. That was a sustained stretch of subpar play.

• Like 2

Just now, DannyB said:

No, that was his best 5-game stretch of the year. That's why you picked it, you were making a point about picking a specific stretch of games. And that's fine, but here's the thing: Earlier in this season, people were going off essentially AN ENTIRE SEASON'S worth of games. The last 5 games of the 2018 regular season, the playoffs, and 7 or 8 games this season. That's 15-16 games. Slightly more telling than 5 games. Is it the final verdict, written in stone about Goff? Certainly not, but let's not pretend it was a few lackluster games that people were blowing out of proportion. That was a sustained stretch of subpar play.

A sustained stretch of bad play preceded by 24+ games of outstanding play. And now my point is that I could easily cherry pick stats to convey that Goff is back playing at a high level again. It was always meaningless BS.

11 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

A sustained stretch of bad play preceded by 24+ games of outstanding play. And now my point is that I could easily cherry pick stats to convey that Goff is back playing at a high level again. It was always meaningless BS.

16 bad games isn't BS, just like 24-whatever odd games of good games aren't BS either.

I just think he's somewhere in the middle.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Does it mention how one interception was when Woods stopped on a route? Does it mention how another interception was when the ball hit Everett directly in the hands and it bounced off and the defender made a ridiculous interception that  more than likely won’t happen again the same way? Just put context is all I’m saying. 

Just now, lolsurebro said:

Goff is not a bad quarterback. He is in the top half of the league easily. When the Rams' offense is clicking, it's more like top 10. He provides the ability to get to a superbowl so I'm not sure what else people are asking for.

People want the moon the stars and the sun from Goff. You are right like even in a down year when there was turmoil on the oline and running game where it was on Goff shoulders on offense the Rams were (9-7) and Goff had 2 games where he literally put the team in position to win to possibly get to (11-5) and into the playoffs but Zeurlein missed the FG in Seattle and the defense couldn’t stop one 3rd and 16 down. If anything this season will make Goff even better.

People look at the turnovers Goff has but turnovers are fluky. Last season Mahomes won MVP and had a historical season but did you know he was tied with Darnold for adjusted interceptions with 21? He had a lot of fortune with defenders dropping potential interceptions. I didn’t even mention fumbles where he was fortunate not to lose. Even in Wentz MVP campaign in 2017 before he got hurt he led the NFL in adjusted turnovers. So it’s just lucky breaks some QBs get when it comes to turnovers unless they are just wreckless like Winston. Goff isn’t wreckless he was just unfortunate this season with a lot of his turnovers. In 2017 and 2018 Goff didn’t turn the ball over much so I’ll look at those two seasons more than this one season.

30 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Does it mention how one interception was when Woods stopped on a route? Does it mention how another interception was when the ball hit Everett directly in the hands and it bounced off and the defender made a ridiculous interception that  more than likely won’t happen again the same way? Just put context is all I’m saying. 

Does it mention how many were flat out dropped by the defender after hitting them dead in the chest? lol Cause i can remember several of those.

The number is somewhere in the middle. He had a bad year. It's not indicative of his career at all. He had in the year that he got PAID so naturally people want to jump on it.

I'm fine with it. He's going to bounce back next season and be an MVP candidate, but I'm also fine with people dumping on him for bad play. He deserves it this year.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

Does it mention how many were flat out dropped by the defender after hitting them dead in the chest? lol Cause i can remember several of those.

The number is somewhere in the middle. He had a bad year. It's not indicative of his career at all. He had in the year that he got PAID so naturally people want to jump on it.

I'm fine with it. He's going to bounce back next season and be an MVP candidate, but I'm also fine with people dumping on him for bad play. He deserves it this year.

Yeah I think too that people react to his bad year because he got paid. What Goff was asked to do this year was carry a team with less of a running game and the bottom of the league oline. He did that to the tune of (9-7) and he literally put his team in position to win 2 road games against divisional playoff teams that the kicker and defense let him down. So again the Rams could be either (10-6) if Zeurlein makes the FG in Seattle or (11-5) if the defense can make a 3rd and 16 stop. Even with none of that happening the Rams missed the playoffs by 1 game in the toughest division, toughest conference, a hard schedule, and the injuries that they dealt with across the board mainly on the oline and this was a bad year for the Rams. 

Like we saw Dak have his best season of his career and the team had a worst record than the Rams. I get there are alot of factors that go into that but what I try to point out is how is the team when the most important player on the team is at his best? When Goff was having his best season he took the Rams to the Superbowl. Even in just a good season in 2017 he took the Rams to 11-5, winning the division. Now in his bad season 1 game away from making the playoffs and was a missed field goal and a 3rd and 16 stop away from going (11-5) again and making the playoffs for the 3rd straight season. Like there should be some concern obviously because of his struggle this season but nothing to panic about because I know Goff will work hard during the offseason as well as the entire organization to get better and next season the Rams will bounce back. Goff will bounce back and regardless if he is an MVP candidate or not he will still be better than this season and help the Rams find themselves back in the playoffs.