Week 8: Washington (1-6) at VIKINGS (5-2)

swede700

1 hour ago, Torchezim said:

You’re acting as if people who say that have no validity to their words. He played well tonight, yes.  That’s one game against a Redskins.

That is one of the three worst in the league. Our defense only looked decent against Haskins, and I’d be more worried about that than being snarky about Cousins.  His criticism is deserved but the praise offered to him this season is also deserved. 

I’m not ready to say he is a prime time phenom. We will see how he performs against KC next Sunday.   That will say a lot. 

Actually our defense looked fine against Haskins, it's how they looked against Keenum that's concerning.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Worm Guts said:

Actually our defense looked fine against Haskins, it's how they looked against Keenum that's concerning.

That’s what I said.  

We looked decent against him but that wasn’t impressive.  Had he not let the ball fly too high to that one wide open receiver, it wouldn’t have been an interception; more like a 25 - 30 yard gain.  

This defense just does not impress me. At all. The second half against Green Bay was the only time they seemed to live up to what a Zimmer defense is meant to do.  

2 hours ago, Torchezim said:

You’re acting as if people who say that have no validity to their words. He played well tonight, yes.  That’s one game against a Redskins.

That is one of the three worst in the league. Our defense only looked decent against Haskins, and I’d be more worried about that than being snarky about Cousins.  His criticism is deserved but the praise offered to him this season is also deserved. 

I’m not ready to say he is a prime time phenom. We will see how he performs against KC next Sunday.   That will say a lot. 

I don't mean anything by it but I'm sure people will be saying that. Funny enough I peeked in the Redskins forum and someone is arguing that

I am getting a little concerned with the defense also. They stepped up when they had to but Keenum was completing way to many passes

The only really concerning thing is the CB play. I don't see that getting fixed without rotating Hughes in more often and Hill coming back. Waynes is still a top flight #2 cb imo, but they need Hughes to step up while they figure out what to do with Rhodes.

16 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

The only really concerning thing is the CB play. I don't see that getting fixed without rotating Hughes in more often and Hill coming back. Waynes is still a top flight #2 cb imo, but they need Hughes to step up while they figure out what to do with Rhodes.

What they need to do with Rhodes is get him off the field. I know Zimmer is fed up with his play, I'm just concerned he won't pull Rhodes until he costs us a game. It isn't just the best WRs smoking him anymore, he's too slow to keep up with most team's best receivers. I would keep him as depth in case someone goes down, but Hughes and Waynes should start outside with Mac in the nickel role.

• Like 1

Rhodes was never a burner. And now he seems to have lost a step. I don't know if you move him from CB1 to CB4 (Chris Rock, anyone?), or if you just move on from him and see if anyone will give you anything for him before the trade deadline. 

As much as I like the idea of trading him and promoting Hughes and Hill, I do wonder if that would have a negative impact on the locker room. 

I keep repeating this but from what I have seen over last 2 seasons, Cousins struggles at times have nothing to do with primetime or anything (it's a really cliche narrative)...he mainly struggles when OL gets dominated (which is true for lot of QBs in league except maybe 2-3 of them)....he had really good primetime games last season vs Rams, Packers but he struggled in 12PM games vs Bills, Cardinals last year where OL was struggling with opposition's DL. Even though Redskins are a poor team, their front 7 is pretty decent. OL struggled yesterday but I am glad to see Cousins have a good game. The screen passes definitely helped whenever he was on pressure on PA plays. These were the things that weren't working last year.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

What they need to do with Rhodes is get him off the field. I know Zimmer is fed up with his play, I'm just concerned he won't pull Rhodes until he costs us a game. It isn't just the best WRs smoking him anymore, he's too slow to keep up with most team's best receivers. I would keep him as depth in case someone goes down, but Hughes and Waynes should start outside with Mac in the nickel role.

Can we trade him for a fifth or sixth round pick? Let Hughes start and work Hill into the rotation 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

I keep repeating this but from what I have seen over last 2 seasons, Cousins struggles at times have nothing to do with primetime or anything (it's a really cliche narrative)...he mainly struggles when OL gets dominated (which is true for lot of QBs in league except maybe 2-3 of them)....he had really good primetime games last season vs Rams, Packers but he struggled in 12PM games vs Bills, Cardinals last year where OL was struggling with opposition's DL. Even though Redskins are a poor team, their front 7 is pretty decent. OL struggled yesterday but I am glad to see Cousins have a good game. The screen passes definitely helped whenever he was on pressure on PA plays. These were the things that weren't working last year.

I agree with this, and I think Cousins struggles especially when he needs to "make things happen".  I get especially concerned about this because O-line struggles have sabotaged 2 of the last 3 seasons.  When we have issues with the defense, Zimmer usually finds a way to fix it, but this is something we haven't been able to fix.

• Like 2

Not the best of the games, but I was lucky enough to be on the field pre-game and down in the 360 club on the rail as the players came in and out.

1.  Kirk was super pumped after the win, the most emotion I've seen out of him
2.  Bisi Johnson and Eric Wilson are all about the fans
3.  Got to catch (and throw back) one of Stefon Diggs pre-game passes
4.  Danielle Hunter, Anthony Barr, and Jayron Kearse are not of the same species as the rest of us
5.  Alexander Mattison is also huge
6.  Britton Colquitt is a riot
7.  Randall McDaniel looks like he could still throw on the pads

1337. We won the game

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

He’s a starter though. Are you gong to bench hum and keep him as the 4th CB? Would Zimmer do that?

No, actually I'd still keep him as a starter...while he may be the weak link of the starters, he's still good enough to get by with...he's truly not really hurting the defense all that much, even though it may seem like it at times.  But, in the offseason, I would try to move him for whatever they could get at this point...(I wanted them to do it prior to this season, but it was never really considered).  

Edited by swede700