Report: NFL has discussed moving the Chargers to London

drd23

I think one of the bigger issues the NFL seem to be ignoring is that most hardcore fans (who make up the majority of those attending the London games at present) won't actually swap teams, even if one moves here.

If there were to be a game every other week, I personally think the product will become diluted and people won't buy into it anywhere near as much. I suppose they could move a couple of games a year to Germany/Holland but then the logistics become even more ridiculous.

The fact is, top players aren't going to want to come to England without serious (added) compensation for doing so. The London team will basically become a place for ageing veterans to pick up a nice paycheck, similar to how many Soccer players use the MLS (Beckham, Rooney, Ibrahimovic, etc).

You will likely see draft picks refusing to go which will just make everything turn even more ugly. 

I am English and I hate the idea. If they did it and didn't re-align the divisions (unlikely) it would mean I get to see my Broncos play which would be cool, but other than that I would hate it.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Best idea: take bad ownership for Washington and bad ownership for Los Angeles, combine the Chargers and the Redskins to become the Los DC Chargeskins

And then make Brady and Bill separate and have their own teams to offset the other move. I like this 

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

If they did it and didn't re-align the divisions (unlikely) it would mean I get to see my Broncos play which would be cool, but other than that I would hate it.

Would never happen. For travel reasons alone, they'd not take a west coast team - move them to London - and keep them in a west coast division. 

If this happens, which would be utterly absurd based upon what people have already said, I additionally believe you'll see draft picks refuse to sign there/threaten to hold out/demand a trade because they'll have to move an entire continent away from their families. I don't think it's a stretch either and the money won't be as big of a factor as everyone else may believe. We see 5 star recruits leave schools/go elsewhere/stay at a closer and worse school based upon proximity to home.

I don't understand why this even gets discussed.

It's simply not going to happen. Ever. The equivalent would be in a Prem League team moved to America. There would be riots in the streets of Newcastle if the Magpies moved to Detroit, for example. It's more tribal in the UK for soccer compared to NFL fans, but the NFL players would be the sticking point - they'd refuse, like many are saying. It's a crazy idea.

• Like 1