Report: NFL has discussed moving the Chargers to London

drd23

Let's be real. The NFL is too big to fail...that's the only reason they even exist as an entity these days. They're incompetent. I completely expect the NFL to expand to Europe. It'll be a beyond stupid idea...just like sending two NFL teams to LA when they previously couldn't support one. Poor decision that anger the fans and players is 100% what we should expect moving forward.

• Like 1

There's Zero chance the LA Chargers move to London, Zero. Not unless the plan is to rework the Divisions. You think the AFCE/N owners would allow that change to occur? Some how put them in the NFCE/S?

Its logistically impossible for that team to make that move without completely overhauling the Divisions. Which isn't happening either!

The only realistic way to make it work in Europe is to have multiple teams there, and they'd have to be division rivals.  But I don't see that happening any time soon.  For Europe to actually work, they really need 4 teams, all in the same division.Teams in the states could travel there for two consecutive division games to reduce travel.  But the logistics are too complicated.  When these teams went to road games, they would need practice sites, among other things. It just isn't feasible.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I think one of the bigger issues the NFL seem to be ignoring is that most hardcore fans (who make up the majority of those attending the London games at present) won't actually swap teams, even if one moves here.

Agreed,  this is a critical point.
The League brags about the interest in "The NFL", but they fail to mention that the interest isn't for just one team now and it won't be for just one team going forward. EU fans have already decided who they want to follow and there are fan clubs in Germany, UK, Sweden etc for the various NFL franchises. Thinking that ALL of those EU fans will convert to one team is a dumbass point of view. Just look at the Wembley or Tottenham games and you see NFL jerseys in the stands from dozens of teams

What the NFL should do is set up watch parties at the various stadiums, including tailgating and pregame festivities. Then just roll out a huge video screen onto the field and the fans in the stadium can watch their favorite team, scream and holler and most importantly for the owners - spend money on parking, food, beverages and merchandise.

We've already seen this in action in both the NFL and the NBA.  The recent NBA title had huge numbers of fans in Toronto gathered to watch the Raptors while the team was on the road. Export the game, but not the players

The NFL should bring the game to the EU, but leave the players and the nightmare logistics back in the USA. More fans and more revenue are all the owners care about, this is one way to make that happen. And it grows all 32 franchises in the EU instead of just 1

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Send the Jets over. NY is roughly same price, size and weather as London (please note the 'roughly' part), and that means the NY based fans can finally jump ship and pull for the Giants instead :D 

As a jets fan, I'd rather root for the Bill's in that situation. At least they play in NY unlike both my jets and the giants 

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

What the NFL should do is set up watch parties at the various stadiums, including tailgating and pregame festivities. Then just roll out a huge video screen onto the field and the fans in the stadium can watch their favorite team, scream and holler and most importantly for the owners - spend money on parking, food, beverages and merchandise.

We saw this with Astros v Nationals - huge watch parties for whenever either team was on the road at their stadium. I'd surmise that was a nice money maker for both squads.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

So, question - why don't we send the Chargers BACK to San Diego? 

Would San Diego even take them back with Spanos? If the Rams flopped in LA, STL wouldn't welcome the Rams back unless Kroenke was 100% paying for the stadium. And even then, the already small fanbase would have lost a lot of people for how the relocation went down. I'd guess it is similar for the Chargers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

So, question - why don't we send the Chargers BACK to San Diego? 

San Diego needs a charismatic owner with deep pockets and then that's the very best option.
Zero chance if Spanos continues to own the team, the local fans loathe that family and won't embrace them

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Would San Diego even take them back with Spanos? If the Rams flopped in LA, STL wouldn't welcome the Rams back unless Kroenke was 100% paying for the stadium. And even then, the already small fanbase would have lost a lot of people for how the relocation went down. I'd guess it is similar for the Chargers.

26 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

San Diego needs a charismatic owner with deep pockets and then that's the very best option.
Zero chance if Spanos continues to own the team, the local fans loathe that family and won't embrace them

This makes a lot of sense - and with the Spanos family not really pressing for anything, a sale is not really forthcoming.

Perhaps Portland, OR? Big enough city with some deep rooted fans, one pro team in the Blazers, a passion for football with Oregon and Oregon State football gaining a passionate fanbase (despite not being on the national radar often...)

Salt Lake City, Utah is similar in nature - the Jazz have arguably one of the more rabid fanbases in sports (not always a good thing) and Utah/BYU have several fans that are dedicated to the cause. Neither would require any sort of re-alignment, so that's a plus. 

Perhaps the Chargers would be embraced as the Portland Chargers or the Utah Chargers? The NFL might draw some market from these guys from the Raiders, 49ers, Seahawks, etc - but this would certainly add bodies in, giving a state a team to root for.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Leader said:

Would never happen. For travel reasons alone, they'd not take a west coast team - move them to London - and keep them in a west coast division. 

Yeah they would shift the Divisions.

Probably put them In the AFC South and Texans go to the West.

That way you minimize travel a bit. Jags would be able to stay over there more (play a "home" game at their London field, then an away game at the Chargers.
And you could schedule similar opponents, since they would be in the same division, to play them back to back over there.

So you would get Jags at Chargers, Eagles at Jags (London) then Eagles at Chargers.

If they really wanted to go crazy you could do the Jags, Chargers, Falcons and Tampa Bay in a division. Teams that would have a vested interest in England, or be near a fairly sizeable international airport. (excluding teams they won't move divisions...Baltimore. Skins, NY teams)

So AFC South is 

• London Chargers
  • Jacksonville Jaguars
  • Atlanta Falcons
  • Tampa Bay Bucs

Teams that would have a vested interest in England, or be near a fairly sizeable international airport.

AFC West is

• Kansas City Chiefs
  • Houston Texans
  • Vegas Raiders
  • Denver Broncos

AFC West no longer has any coastal teams, but has 3 cities that come out for games and Vegas which could be big.

NFC South is

• New Orleans Saints
  • Indianapolis Colts
  • Tennessee Titans
  • Carolina Panthers

Teams lost some rivals, but make up for it with a fairly close group of new ones.

2 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

AFC West is

• Kansas City Chiefs
  • Houston Texans
  • Vegas Raiders
  • Denver Broncos

Dammit, I don't need Vegas and a Texans game in my life. I got responsibilities, I can't be effing around like this.

I got a mortgage to pay! Quit putting this on my mind!

• Like 1