Week 11: Broncos (3-6) at VIKINGS (7-3)

swede700

24 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Fun game to be at! Glad Cousins showed up in the second half and had a memorable performance. This defense is trash though. The secondary has gotten so bad, not sure what the fix is this year.

The team struggles without Joseph.  I have wanted a more dependable backup to him but we don't seem to put much value on that.  Neither Stephen or Johnson are good enough on the interior.

Of course the DB's aren't helping much either.  Which is so weird because Rhodes, Waynes, Hughes, etc... were good at getting PD's in college but now they apparently cannot locate the damn ball.  They just flail their arms and hope they distract the receiver from catching the ball.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Freakout said:

The team struggles without Joseph.  I have wanted a more dependable backup to him but we don't seem to put much value on that.  Neither Stephen or Johnson are good enough on the interior.

Of course the DB's aren't helping much either.  Which is so weird because Rhodes, Waynes, Hughes, etc... were good at getting PD's in college but now they apparently cannot locate the damn ball.  They just flail their arms and hope they distract the receiver from catching the ball.

Does Watts have any future as the backup? Seems like he's made a few plays now but I don't know if he's also giving up a bunch

5 minutes ago, Freakout said:

The DB play has been frustrating. Doesnt seem like they play the ball, but it partly explains why they don’t seem to pick off passes or get as many deflections as they should. Is it a technique or scheme thing. Just is odd that none of the DBs seem to have a knack for it.

5 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Does Watts have any future as the backup? Seems like he's made a few plays now but I don't know if he's also giving up a bunch

DTs seem to take awhile in their careers to get going so it is at least encouraging that Watts is getting on the field. 

I’m trying to think if I’ve seen a bigger comeback by the Vikings. I remember the Harbaugh game with the Bears, that was a 20-0 comeback like 25 years ago. I think Wade Wilson had a bigger one in 85 against the Eagles, but that’s before I was watching.

I wonder how much different that last drive (and the rest of the game for that matter) looks with Linval, Harris, and Smith in there.

Also, Kearse saved the game with the tackle on the Allen scramble and two coverage plays on Fant. Too bad he seems to want to move on next year.

On 11/17/2019 at 8:35 PM, wcblack34 said:

We have some serious Anhedonia sufferers on here. 

I was as ticked off as anyone after that first half. Didn’t watch the second half, even. But even I can take pleasure in the fact that we pulled off the franchise’s greatest comeback and that it was led by a guy I’ve spent 18 months nitpicking. These are the games the Vikings never win, but the games championship contenders do. Enjoy it. Don’t demand perfection. Don’t allow you need to be right override the pleasure that should come from a hard fought win. 

I understand your statement here. It isn't about, in my case at least, a need to be right. It's more about being realistic. Be happy about a win or even a performance of certain players, but don't be numb to the inefficiencies that will rear their head against playoff caliber opposition later in the year. Unless our coaches and players do something about our weaker areas.

No Vikings fan is unhappy about this win. Just certain fans, ones like us that have seen this rodeo before, cannot find it in ourselves to be ecstatic about it because the flaws we see are glaring, and a couple of them seem like there is no true fix for them this season. We know that if we are going to make a run in the playoffs, we are going to need either a bit of luck or timely elevated play by individuals not doing that thus far. We won't be able to have types of games like this one, or the Dallas game, or the Washington game, or the Chicago game, against top competition. It won't play out the same way. 

Edited by Torchezim
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Torchezim said:

I understand your statement here. It isn't about, in my case at least, a need to be right. It's more about being realistic. Be happy about a win or even a performance of certain players, but don't be numb to the inefficiencies that will rear their head against playoff caliber opposition later in the year. Unless our coaches and players do something about or weaker areas.

No Vikings fan is unhappy about this win. Just certain fans, ones like us that have seen this rodeo before, cannot find it in ourselves to be ecstatic about it because the flaws we see are glaring, and a couple of them seem like there is no true fix for them this season. We know that if we are going to make a run in the playoffs, we are going to need either a bit of luck or timely elevated play by individuals not doing that thus far. We won't be able to have types of games like this one, or the Dallas game, or the Washington game, or the Chicago game, against top competition. It won't play out the same way. 

While I understand your gripes, this comeback is special because the broncos have the number 4 ranked defense. You can argue that they have the best passing defense in football, with the number one rated safety and Chris Harris at corner. Down 20 at the half with a dline that not only abused our oline, but KNOWING we had to pass our way out of this is what made it special. Kirk came out there and lead 4 touchdown drives while our all world running back was being shut down. Hell, it wasn’t dalvin who opened the game for Kirk, it was the other way around. 

What im trying to convey is that we have a qb that has come a long way from turning into check down Charlie against a top 5 defense (a la week 4). And actually broncos defense are rated higher than that bears defense. That’s what this victory is truly about. With this win it is no doubt in my mind our offense is sharp enough to win a Super Bowl. Defense HAS to perform though.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Illadelegend215 said:

While I understand your gripes, this comeback is special because the broncos have the number 4 ranked defense. You can argue that they have the best passing defense in football, with the number one rated safety and Chris Harris at corner. Down 20 at the half with a dline that not only abused our oline, but KNOWING we had to pass our way out of this is what made it special. Kirk came out there and lead 4 touchdown drives while our all world running back was being shut down. Hell, it wasn’t dalvin who opened the game for Kirk, it was the other way around. 

What im trying to convey is that we have a qb that has come a long way from turning into check down Charlie against a top 5 defense (a la week 4). And actually broncos defense are rated higher than that bears defense. That’s what this victory is truly about. With this win it is no doubt in my mind our offense is sharp enough to win a Super Bowl. Defense HAS to perform though.

Stole the words kut of my mouth. I think the bye will be great for the defense. Zimmer has always been good with adjustments so 15 daya to prepare for Seattle could be the difference.

Big Plays are by far the biggest problem. The 3rd down and redzone d are still near the top of the league. If they can cut out the big plays this team could look nasty real quick. 

Edited by KOTN-93
  • Like 1

While the failed two-point conversion after their next touchdown kept the margin at 10 (and thus at two scores), the Vikings were rolling, using an up-tempo pace led by quarterback Kirk Cousins, who forgot about a rough first half and engineered the team’s biggest comeback since October 4, 1992, when the Vikings overcame a 20-0 fourth-quarter deficit against the Bears — sparked by a Jim Harbaugh audible that led to a pick-six and caused coach Mike Ditka blowing a gasket.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/11/18/first-touchdown-made-vikings-believe-they-could-win/

• Like 1