Astros Stole Signs in 2017

hrubes20

12 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

But what would be impactful in terms of actual punishment? Billionaire owner paying 500k isn’t enough, and a first round pick isn’t as valuable as it is in the other major sports leagues. What is steep enough to stop this in the future, because paying a bunch of fines and winning a World Series out of it is worth it. 

They could structure the fines so that it's based on each game this occurred, instead of lumping them all together. If this was done consistently, those $500k-$1.5MM fines are going to add up really quickly.

That's what the should have done when the Cardinals hacked the Astros. 

15 hours ago, Spartica4Real said:

The article claims that they stopped doing it in the postseason because the crowds are too loud for it to work. Otherwise I don't think they'd go 0-4 at home and 3-0 on the road in the WS. 

In 2017 and 2018 the Astros had a better record on the road than at home. This year a better record at home. That's interesting.

https://www.12up.com/posts/video-it-seems-the-astros-also-may-have-been-cheating-in-2019-based-on-this-evidence-01dsjh578s75/partners/40030

14 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

But what would be impactful in terms of actual punishment? Billionaire owner paying 500k isn’t enough, and a first round pick isn’t as valuable as it is in the other major sports leagues. What is steep enough to stop this in the future, because paying a bunch of fines and winning a World Series out of it is worth it. 

I wonder if they suspend Hinch for a while. It would mirror what the NFL did to Sean Payton for bountygate. Saints also lost draft picks and got fined a significant amount.

Minimum in my opinion:

Hinch and Luhnow suspended for a year. And anyone else in the FO or coaching staff they can connect to it.
Fines for each game they can find evidence of it happening in.
Fines = any postseason bonuses for the organization. (I'm not sure how this would be figured, but they should absolutely lose any money gained off of this and this is the best way to do it I can think of.)

Anyone thought about if something/anything should happen to the players who were involved? I mean, none of them blew the whistle while it was happening.

I'm wondering how deep this goes.

Fiers is taking about these behaviors happening when he was there. That's not too much longer after Lunhow arrived and set up his system. 

How far back should MLB go with this? We know the Lunhow and the Astros value winning over everything else. How much more is there? What about Lunhow's time in St. Louis?

7 hours ago, Manny/Patrick said:

Death sentence?

If it was condoned by the front office, absolutely.

Senior execs suspended for at least two seasons.

20-30 million MLB payroll penalty (annual) for the next three years

Reduction in international bonus pool money.

No first round picks for three years.

Fines that effectively nullify bonuses/revenue from their WS.

38 minutes ago, Slateman said:

I'm wondering how deep this goes.

Fiers is taking about these behaviors happening when he was there. That's not too much longer after Lunhow arrived and set up his system. 

How far back should MLB go with this? We know the Lunhow and the Astros value winning over everything else. How much more is there? What about Lunhow's time in St. Louis?

NY Post: On September 15, 2017, MLB announced the Red Sox would be fined an undisclosed amount for utilizing Apple Watches in their dugout to swipe signals from the Yankees; the Yankees paid a smaller undisclosed amount for improper usage of a dugout phone. That day, in a statement, commissioner Rob Manfred disclosed that all teams had been notified of the following: “Future violations of this type will be subject to more serious sanctions, including the possible loss of draft picks.”

On Tuesday, The Athletic, quoting 2017 Astros pitcher Mike Fiers, reported that the club utilized a camera positioned in center field and focused on the opposing catcher to steal signals, conveying their findings through the banging of a garbage can in a tunnel connecting the Astros’ dugout to their clubhouse. Retired pitcher Danny Farquhar shared his recollection of a suspicious incident at Minute Maid that occurred that season while he was pitching for the White Sox. Twitter baseball detective @ Jomboy_ subsequently dug up video that substantiated Farquhar's allegations during an at-bat against Houston’s Evan Gattis.

That White Sox-Astros game took place on September 21, 2017, six days after MLB made its announcement, therefore seemingly putting the Astros in violation of the reinforced and heightened guidelines.