Minor Niner News Twos: Electric Boogaloos

y2lamanaki

Deebo's ball security is my biggest question with his style of play. Those extra yards he's fighting for look like great effort plays until its stripped and taken the other way. I'm sure he's well aware of the risk but rookies will be rookies.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, nayad said:

Deebo's ball security is my biggest question with his style of play. Those extra yards he's fighting for look like great effort plays until its stripped and taken the other way. I'm sure he's well aware of the risk but rookies will be rookies.

I admit, I have the same worry each time. But until it happens, I'm fine with him doing his thing. 

https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/11/15/20966103/kyle-shanahan-sports-illustrated-article-coaching-quotes

Then, before players broke out into position groups for a full film breakdown, Shanahan delivered one more message, this one to a struggling young player. He referenced a play on which Giants receiver Sterling Shepard takes a reverse 27 yards downfield, sidestepping a lackadaisical shove from Niners cornerback Ahkello Witherspoon on his way out-of-bounds. I’ve defended you for over a year and a half, Shanahan told Witherspoon, according to several people who were in the room. We need to have a standard if we’re going to do what we need to do, and this doesn’t meet that standard. This is unacceptable.

In another film session last season, Witherspoon recalls being among those called out by Shanahan. “If I had anybody behind some of you, I’d cut you,” the coach said, addressing a few players, according to the cornerback. “Next year we’re not going to be in a position where we have any of this bulls---.” As Witherspoon reflects on his coach’s reaction, he understands it as well now as he did then: “I couldn’t really argue,” he says. “It comes with the responsibility of having the potential to be great.”

Is Witherspoon Shanahan's Vernon Davis? 

Witherspoon wasn't as unhinged and undisciplined as Vernon was before Singletary got his hands on him. But, it seems we might be able to attribute Witherspoon's turnaround to Shanahan.

Edited by NinerNation21
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, nayad said:

Has he had any fumbling issues in college? He's been rock solid once he makes the catch for us so far 

3 minutes ago, N4L said:

Has he had any fumbling issues in college? He's been rock solid once he makes the catch for us so far 

I'm unaware of any problems. But I do agree that I hold my breath a bit when he's fighting for yards. Has nothing to do with him, personally, just PTSD from watching other guys trying to do the same things. That's why I said above, until something bad happens, I'm fine with him doing his thing, but I get the fear.

7 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

@Forge, @49ers2015, and I all agreed Deebo would be the one to do it. With all the negatives surrounding our WR corps I think we do have a good one, here. Has to clean up the drops, but I can forgive a rookie for that who is still making plays as well. 

The rookie receivers under Shanahan have all picked up their game in the second halves of their rookie seasons. Excited to see where it goes. 

Imagine if Hurd gets healthy and lives up to what we think he can do... after years of inept WR acquisitions, finally hitting the jackpot. That would be amazing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rudyZ said:

Imagine if Hurd gets healthy and lives up to what we think he can do... after years of inept WR acquisitions, finally hitting the jackpot. That would be amazing.

Imagine there's no countries, It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for, And no religion, too

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Meh, Paul was always better. I’ll take “Live and Let Die” over anything the Beatles did, together or solo.

Paul is the better one, John is over rated.  And the unknown beatle, Eric playing the solo in while my guitar gently weeps... before he stole georgies girl.