Minor Niner News Twos: Electric Boogaloos

y2lamanaki

14 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

So, do the 49ers try to trade Nick Mullens before the deadline this year? He's an RFA at the end of this year, so not too expensive to sign. Could net a middle round pick for him this year, IMO.

Definitely not this year. 

I could see something in the off season on his RFA tag if we re-sign CJ on the super cheap and feel comfortable with him as the back up (not sure how we could feel that way, but I won't discount its possibility) or we sign / trade for a former highly drafted cast off who has busted thus far (Darnold, Trubisky, etc) to see if we could get them right to potentially be a cheap starter to replace Jimmy with in this system. 

52 minutes ago, Forge said:

I could see something in the off season on his RFA tag if we re-sign CJ on the super cheap and feel comfortable with him as the back up (not sure how we could feel that way, but I won't discount its possibility) or we sign / trade for a former highly drafted cast off who has busted thus far (Darnold, Trubisky, etc) to see if we could get them right to potentially be a cheap starter to replace Jimmy with in this system. 

I was thinking the same thing. A guy like Tribs would make alot of sense for us. Really wasnt a fan of his as a prospect but coming here and sitting behind Jimmy and learning under Shanny could be beneficial for him.

I don't see the Jets giving up on Darnold just yet. I think Gase is the major issue there. 

But yeah, no way they trade Mullens this year. I don't care how much Shanny likes CJ, he's the 3rd string for a reason. You roll with Mullens until this season is over and done with.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Maybe Mullens is a draft-night trade to a team that missed out on their guy. Either way, I'd hate to see him walk in two years for nothing. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I don't see the Jets giving up on Darnold just yet. I think Gase is the major issue there. 

I think that they get a top 2 pick, which likely signals the end of his Jet career. They have already wasted his entry level contract, and they can't pick up his fifth year option at this point, so he's a lame duck quarterback when they select Fields /Lawrence. 

I think the Browns are stuck with Baker because they won't get a top 2 pick in the draft, but the Jets are going to have to reset. And with a new HC coming in who has no attachment to Darnold, that would almost be a lock, I imagine. 

Now, if they can't secure Fields or Lawrence, it's possible they have to gut it out with Darnold another year. 

I don’t know how I feel about the QB market next year, at least in FA. Does everyone think that Jimmy is pretty much gone? I get it this is his prove it year (also wasn’t Kyle’s main qb target) and Kyle feels as if he can place anyone really at Qb and he will be successful (via Nick Mullen’s). Not taking anything away from Nick, I think he’s serviceable. Certain things I like about him, I just don’t think he’s going to be our franchise guy. I doubt he’s able to get Cousins due to him extending with the Vikings, but who does that really leave him with? I doubt he goes for Mitch or Darnold as previously mentioned. Do the falcons let Ryan walk (or trade) if they some how are able to land one of the top qbs? 

Edited by StevenK

14 minutes ago, StevenK said:

I don’t know how I feel about the QB market next year, at least in FA. Does everyone think that Jimmy is pretty much gone? I get it this is his prove it year (also wasn’t Kyle’s main qb target) and Kyle feels as if he can place anyone really at Qb and he will be successful (via Nick Mullen’s). Not taking anything away from Nick, I think he’s serviceable. Certain things I like about him, I just don’t think he’s going to be our franchise guy. I doubt he’s able to get Cousins due to him extending with the Vikings, but who does that really leave him with? I doubt he goes for Mitch or Darnold as previously mentioned. Do the falcons let Ryan walk (or trade) if they some how are able to land one of the top qbs? 

I kind of doubt we move on from Jimmy after this year. He's been a solid starter for us and there is no better options available. He's actually pretty affordable at this point as far as starting QBs go. I really don't think this regime would make a change just to make a change. There would have to be a clear upgrade available, which I don't see. Matt Ryan would be the only one worth considering as being an upgrade if he's made available. Cousins isn't better than Jimmy IMO and if the Raiders moved on from Carr, I don't see that as an upgrade either. I don't think there is any way in hell where we move on for Jimmy G for a guy like Trubisky or Darnold; that's just bad business. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, StevenK said:

I just saw an article mentioning that Trent Murphy and Ryan Kerrigan could be on the trade block. Thoughts on if u think we could possibly go after either? I know Ryan should be a FA next year so I wouldn’t mind getting rid of Ford and going after him. 

I'd be all about bringing in Kerrigan if he wasn't too expensive. I don't want to mortgage our future for rentals, but he would be a tremendous help to our pass rush. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I'd be all about bringing in Kerrigan if he wasn't too expensive. I don't want to mortgage our future for rentals, but he would be a tremendous help to our pass rush. 

We could play the Marquise Goodwin game: 

Dante Pettis and a 5th round pick for Ryan Kerrigan. 

• Like 1