The "If Gamestop was open I'd buy Madden right now" Post-Game Commiseration Extravaganza with lots of cursing at Aaron Idiot Rodgers who Screwed us from the very beginning and kept on screwing us because he can't ever throw an interception God forbid he

MacReady

2 minutes ago, gopackgo247 said:

the biggest playoff pretenders ever at 10-3 too. 

Not entirely true. SF had everything go right for them last night. The game started horribly with a dumb penalty by 17 that ruined a drive followed by a fumble that gave SF the ball at the 2 yard line. We then had a chance to make it a game down 10-0 on a 4th down and simply didn't execute on the OL and got stuffed. A 10-7 game right there changes the rest of the game. 

On the other hand, GB simply may not be a SB caliber team. We still have some big weaknesses on the team, notably at ILB, DL, WR and TE. But, assuming we get one loss from MN against SEA (which should happen), we are still the odds-on favorite to win the North which guarantees us a home playoff game, and hopefully at worst, a trip to the divisional round. From there, anything can happen on any given Sunday. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Not entirely true. SF had everything go right for them last night. The game started horribly with a dumb penalty by 17 that ruined a drive followed by a fumble that gave SF the ball at the 2 yard line. We then had a chance to make it a game down 10-0 on a 4th down and simply didn't execute on the OL and got stuffed. A 10-7 game right there changes the rest of the game. 

On the other hand, GB simply may not be a SB caliber team. We still have some big weaknesses on the team, notably at ILB, DL, WR and TE. But, assuming we get one loss from MN against SEA (which should happen), we are still the odds-on favorite to win the North which guarantees us a home playoff game, and hopefully at worst, a trip to the divisional round. From there, anything can happen on any given Sunday. 

i guess well see but i will not be surprised in the slightest if they drop the Giants game next week. they are not as bad of a team as their record indicates and they will be at home. 

I hate to say it, because I sort of didn't want him to be this right about it, but the more I try to analyze this the more convinced I am @AlexGreen#20 called the core issue out weeks ago: Rodgers simply won't take a hit when he's throwing.  A lot of people are talking about him needing to get the ball out of his hands faster, and that's part of the solution, but just step one: throwing only short stuff just incentivizes the defense to sit on it and take it away.  Look at the second half of last night's game if you can stomach it; Rodgers threw a ton of dump offs, screens, one step throws the boundary, etc.  They went for basically nothing because the 49ers were waiting for it every time.

You punish that behavior by going over the top of the defense when they sit and wait on it.  You back the corners off by making them afraid to give up bigger completions, and Rodgers knows this; that's why he holds the ball.  The issue is how and why he's holding the ball.  I think he's protecting his INT% to an extent, and I think he likes playing street ball to an extent, but the truth is I think the core reason he holds the ball is he's afraid to stand in the pocket and deliver the ball while taking a shot.  I'm pretty sure I can count on one hand the number of times Rodgers has stood in the pocket and took a shot to deliver a ball downfield, and all of those were with Adams out.  

I won't pretend to know why this is.  I suspect the two broken collarbones, broken knee, and multiple concussions play a role here.  Perhaps life after football becoming something on the near horizon rather than a vague future is part of it.  Maybe it really is Danica like everyone thought it was Munn for awhile.  But regardless of the reason, the book on Rodgers has changed and unless he finds his own counter punch there's going to be more of this not less.

For years, you beat Rodgers by rushing four, playing a spy and two deep coverage, and hoping your guys could get home.  It was really more of a "slow him down since you can't stop him plan".  Blitzing was suicide, because he was so accurate and his throwing motion so fast and his scrambling ability was so good that you were almost guaranteed to give up a big play against him.  Now teams have zero fear.  They blitz, they play single high, they camp five yard routes and basically play the most disrespectful kind of defense you can against a QB.  3rd and long is more chum than water for any defense with a decent defensive line/blitz package.  And this isn't going to get better until Rodgers proves to teams that they need to be scared coming after him. 

4 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

I hate to say it, because I sort of didn't want him to be this right about it, but the more I try to analyze this the more convinced I am @AlexGreen#20 called the core issue out weeks ago: Rodgers simply won't take a hit when he's throwing.  A lot of people are talking about him needing to get the ball out of his hands faster, and that's part of the solution, but just step one: throwing only short stuff just incentivizes the defense to sit on it and take it away.  Look at the second half of last night's game if you can stomach it; Rodgers threw a ton of dump offs, screens, one step throws the boundary, etc.  They went for basically nothing because the 49ers were waiting for it every time.

You punish that behavior by going over the top of the defense when they sit and wait on it.  You back the corners off by making them afraid to give up bigger completions, and Rodgers knows this; that's why he holds the ball.  The issue is how and why he's holding the ball.  I think he's protecting his INT% to an extent, and I think he likes playing street ball to an extent, but the truth is I think the core reason he holds the ball is he's afraid to stand in the pocket and deliver the ball while taking a shot.  I'm pretty sure I can count on one hand the number of times Rodgers has stood in the pocket and took a shot to deliver a ball downfield, and all of those were with Adams out.  

I won't pretend to know why this is.  I suspect the two broken collarbones, broken knee, and multiple concussions play a role here.  Perhaps life after football becoming something on the near horizon rather than a vague future is part of it.  Maybe it really is Danica like everyone thought it was Munn for awhile.  But regardless of the reason, the book on Rodgers has changed and unless he finds his own counter punch there's going to be more of this not less.

For years, you beat Rodgers by rushing four, playing a spy and two deep coverage, and hoping your guys could get home.  It was really more of a "slow him down since you can't stop him plan".  Blitzing was suicide, because he was so accurate and his throwing motion so fast and his scrambling ability was so good that you were almost guaranteed to give up a big play against him.  Now teams have zero fear.  They blitz, they play single high, they camp five yard routes and basically play the most disrespectful kind of defense you can against a QB.  3rd and long is more chum than water for any defense with a decent defensive line/blitz package.  And this isn't going to get better until Rodgers proves to teams that they need to be scared coming after him. 

When he does throw the deep ball, his accuracy has been lacking because he's not planting his feet and stepping into his throws (possibly for the reasons you've stated above).  Because his accuracy downfield has been a detriment also, we're kinda screwed either way.

Just now, Sasquatch said:

When he does throw the deep ball, his accuracy has been lacking because he's not planting his feet and stepping into his throws (possibly for the reasons you've stated above).  Because his accuracy downfield has been a detriment also, we're kinda screwed either way.

Yeah exactly, it's one of those things where whether it's related or not it exercerbates the problem the same way regardless.  He's wildly inconsistent deep, afraid to throw over the middle, and fears getting hit as he throws.  I do think his fear of throwing INTs plays into it more than I let on above; how many times has Rodgers managed to escape the pocket, rolls right, then just throws it away because he can't find anyone.  I get that people probably aren't super open, but at the same token at least give your receivers a damn chance.  How often did we see him fit a ball into a guy who straight wasn't open?  Remember that time James Jones caught a pass against the Saints he couldn't even see because Rodgers literally threw it into the crook of his arm?  When was the last time he tried a throw like that?  Oh right, twice against the Chiefs when Adams was out.  Last night, where was the player who threw that ridiculous attempt to Williams in the back of the end zone?  Where was the guy who felt he could just throw it up to Kumerow as he's being dragged down?  What is it about his security blankets that causes him to lose all faith in every other player on the field?

I realize I'm just ranting at this point, but I can't seem to stop myself.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MrBobGray said:

Yeah exactly, it's one of those things where whether it's related or not it exercerbates the problem the same way regardless.  He's wildly inconsistent deep, afraid to throw over the middle, and fears getting hit as he throws.  I do think his fear of throwing INTs plays into it more than I let on above; how many times has Rodgers managed to escape the pocket, rolls right, then just throws it away because he can't find anyone.  I get that people probably aren't super open, but at the same token at least give your receivers a damn chance.  How often did we see him fit a ball into a guy who straight wasn't open?  Remember that time James Jones caught a pass against the Saints he couldn't even see because Rodgers literally threw it into the crook of his arm?  When was the last time he tried a throw like that?  Oh right, twice against the Chiefs when Adams was out.  Last night, where was the player who threw that ridiculous attempt to Williams in the back of the end zone?  Where was the guy who felt he could just throw it up to Kumerow as he's being dragged down?  What is it about his security blankets that causes him to lose all faith in every other player on the field?

Welcome to the meeting. We have coffee and doughnuts in the back. 

I'm very proud of you for sharing here today.

• Like 1

Natives are restless after the debacle last night. Got to put this one behind us and move on. Any news on Bulaga? I'm hoping for the best, but figuring the worst. 

I won't be around claiming victory and doling out I told you so's. We do have to move on from him next year. He's not reliable and he gives the coaching staff/front office a false sense of security. 

Light will improve but who wants to go into next year with him being handed the RT position? 

Edited by Golfman

4 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

How do you fix a broken superstar QB?  Maybe not broken - he did have a game this year where he was like the Rodgers of old - but he's certainly struggled in a several outings.  Not sure how he can be fixed on the regular, or at least more consistent.

Anybody besides me find LaFleur's, "we got out coached today a little sophomoreish?" Master of the obvious there Matt! 

Don't get me wrong there were several other problems, but when you get whipped that thoroughly, yeah, being out coached is a given!  

Edited by Golfman

2 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Anybody besides me find LaFleur's, "we got out coached today a little sophomoreish?" Master of the obvious there Matt! 

Don't get me wrong there were several other problems, but when you get whipped that thoroughly, yeah, being out coached is a given!  

I think that is his way of saying part of the results are on him.   The game plan, the preparation was not good enough.

Debatable whether stating that GB was out coached is  a better look than 

"going to work on pad level"

"going to get that cleared up"

" need to focus on the fundamentals"

"need to stack success"

11 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Natives are restless after the debacle last night. Got to put this one behind us and move on. Any news on Bulaga? I'm hoping for the best, but figuring the worst

MCL sprain to some degree.

Not believed to be any ACL involvement.

MRI today to confirm details.

Will be out awhile - but not the season apparently.

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

Anybody besides me find LaFleur's, "we got out coached today a little sohpomoreish?" Master of the obvious there Matt! 

Kinda, yeah.  What I wonder more is will MLF get over his sub-servitude attitude towards his mentors and be his own man, instead of standing in their damn shadow?  He might need time to grow into his role, and to get past this admiration thing.  He can respect these guys all he wants, but at some point he needs to grow an attitude of "I will be better than them at my job."  He needs time, which is not exactly what this team needs right now.

• Like 2