Inside Linebacker ... IT IS TIME

TheOnlyThing

8 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Danny Trevathan.  Allegedly tried signing with us last time he was a free agent.  Danny Trevathan and another shot in the third round.  I’m officially decided on that being what I want.  No Martinez re-sign.

How bout Trevathan and Evan Weaver from Cal?  The guy has a never ending motor and is a freaking tackling machine.  

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Could he have dove? Sure. There were 2 OL and 2 DL between him and the ball. It would've been pointless, but he certainly could've done more.

Couldn't agree more. 

But if we're putting our "Footbaw is about Fiya!!!1!!1!!/81 IQ point" hats on, that seems like the most obvious example to point to.

3 hours ago, squire12 said:

@Sasquatch

You are stating this as factual, yet are irritated by my statement?

You suggesting Rodgers shouldn’t play football anymore because he ‘might’ be exercising caution by not diving into a one ton scrum IS dumb. My comment that he knows he’s fragile is just as dumb, so there’s that.

Cory Littleton is going to get the money that Martinez is going to demand. Littleton is a better player. I would say I would pay for Littleton over Martinez. The Packers will not get either one most likely. However the Bears have a couple fa ILB that are pretty good in all aspects of the game that anyone of them would make an improvement to this team when it comes to run defense. Plus it would make the bears weaker at their strong point.

13 minutes ago, Fox_NFLs_GG said:

Cory Littleton is going to get the money that Martinez is going to demand. Littleton is a better player. I would say I would pay for Littleton over Martinez. The Packers will not get either one most likely. However the Bears have a couple fa ILB that are pretty good in all aspects of the game that anyone of them would make an improvement to this team when it comes to run defense. Plus it would make the bears weaker at their strong point.

This thread is no longer about inside linebackers.  It’s been hijacked and is now about Rodgers, and why he should or shouldn’t have dived into a scrum of beastly men to retrieve his errant snap.  Take your good, solid, inside linebacker talk to the Rahsaan Gary thread, as it is in desperate need of hijacking.

Edited by Sasquatch

15 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Danny Trevathan.  Allegedly tried signing with us last time he was a free agent.  Danny Trevathan and another shot in the third round.  I’m officially decided on that being what I want.  No Martinez re-sign.

9.  12.  16.  9.  46.  That's how many games he's played the last 4 years.  Out of 64.

The older ILB's get, the more likely they are to break down physically.

I'm not against Trevathan...just pointing out that he needs to be a guy you get more or less "on the cheap".  "Cheap" relative to the $10M plus projection for the Martinez contract.  

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

I'd rather go with the other Chicago linebacker  -- Kwiatkoski than Tevethan.  Younger and like how he flies around.

If you don't like Martinez now....you are going to hate Kwiatkowski behind our current DL group.  If there is such a thing, I think he's a poor man's version of Martinez.

Telling yah, it really doesn't matter who plays ILB if our DL remains the same.  That is the position that needs a major upgrade.  Then you can simply draft an ILB in round 3 or later and be more than just fine.  Or...wait out free agency....one of the decent ILB's won't get the big money and could come as a good FA value.

But really, nothing changes at ILB (for the better) unless the DL changes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

I'd rather go with the other Chicago linebacker  -- Kwiatkoski than Tevethan.  Younger and like how he flies around.

The Bears are tighter against the cap and Trevathan is the cheaper option for them.  Pretty good chance they keep him and let Kwiatkowski go.

That pick, the 224th overall selection, is a linebacker: Ty Summers from TCU. Summers is another great athlete, who ran a 4.51-second 40-yard dash at the 2019 Combine and measured in at 6-foot-1 and 241 pounds. Summers also has excellent agility skills, running the 3-cone drill in a reported 6.84 seconds at his Pro Day, and he posted a very impressive 27 reps on the bench press in Indy. 36 inch vert.

Summers’ production at TCU was solid as well. He bounced between linebacker and defensive end, recording 22.5 tackles for loss and 10.5 sacks over his career. He also had a pair of interceptions and was named second-team All-Big XII as a sophomore linebacker in 2016.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/ty-summers

I know it's a bit of a long shot, but would be awesome if summers took a step and stayed healthy. I forgot how good of an athlete he is.

Edited by Arthur Penske

25 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/ty-summers

I know it's a bit of a long shot, but would be awesome if summers took a step and stayed healthy. I forgot how good of an athlete he is.

After the first preseason game I was convinced Summers would take over for Blake as our unremarkable tackling machine, or at least provide a steady option behind whoever eventually did take over. I'm still hopeful for the latter but not so sure about the former. 

Summers is the guy that should take over for Blake.  He will look just like Blake did with the same DL in front of him.

But...we are going to upgrade that DL (we have to) and my guess is that Summers looks very good.

And yah....draft another one where it makes sense.