Week 14 GDT: Packers vs Washington Redskins

squire12

Especially this game I don’t see Pettine changing much play calling wise (no exotic blitzes except in 3rd and 8 plus where we can still have defenders deep). Green Bay isn’t going to lose this game unless Washington breaks 2-3 long tds. Pettine’s logic is going to be why risk it, which I get but it’s frustrating as a fan who likes aggression. I expect kind of a boring 20-10 game with only 8 possessions.

Edited by pacman5252

9 hours ago, Green19 said:

Also I feel like one of a few things:

• the defense isn’t in enough 3rd and longs to dial up exotics

• the back end is assignment sure for the exotics stuff. LeRoy Butler broke down a play the other day and showed how Savage and King both screwed up quarters coverage that should of forced a throw short on 3rd and long.

I think that’s why he isn’t blitzing. And with the backend he isn’t man to manning the guys because so many offenses do runs and crosses to bust man coverage.

Its tough. I do feel though once Savage is more seasoned with Amos a lot of this stuff will get better.

As athletic as King is I don't think he's the sharpest knife in the bulb drawer and playing with a rookie doesn't help with the screw-ups in the back end of this defense at times.

NFL . Com - The Washington Redskins plan to press their luck with Aaron Rodgers. Heading into Sunday's matchup against the Green Bay Packers, the Redskins' defensive plan is to take away the run game and try to put the ball in Rodgers' hands.

"It is [crazy]. It really is," linebacker Jon Bostic said, via the Washington Post. "Even just saying that. You always preach going in stopping the run, making a team one-dimensional. But it's like, making a team one-dimensional and putting the ball in the best player's hands is like, do you really want to do that? But that's what it's going to take to beat them. It's going to take all 11 guys out there ... playing within the defense, playing within the rules."

The Packers' offense has been at its most potent this season when Aaron Jones is ripping off runs and motoring the operation. In Green Bay's three losses this season, Jones has yet to break 40 yards rushing.

It's a well-worn NFL cliché to enter trying to stop the run first. Coaches have been preaching it since the forward pass was legalized. The best defenses can do both but slow the pass first. Of Football Outsider's top 10 teams in defensive DVOA through Week 13, seven rank in the top 10 against the pass. Of those seven, four rank outside the top 12 against the run, including two outside the top 20.

The Washington defense has been midlevel most of the season, ranking 20th versus the pass and 19th against the run, per Football Outsiders' metrics.

Shutting down the Packers run can be a priority, but if doing so takes away assets from the secondary, Rodgers will make the Redskins pay.

20 hours ago, Leader said:

Ryan Wood -  Matt LaFleur said with a month left of the regular season: the offense needs to be more efficient on first and second downs, the defense must cut down on explosive plays and special teams needs to get some form of return game going.

I wish to rename Ryan Wood to Captain Obvious.

20 hours ago, Pugger said:

The Krolls by Lambeau is good but I like the burgers on the east side better.  Their perch is pretty good too even if it is pricey.

Agreed, I noticed a dip in quality at Kroll's West when I was visiting family for Thanksgiving last year.

I think if they just told King your assignment is man to man... he’d be great. I think he is too aggressive for zone and doesn’t feel zones well.

You can see he just wants to track guys... not watch over a zone.

Edited by Green19

26 minutes ago, Green19 said:

I think if they just told King your assignment is man to man... he’d be great. I think he is too aggressive for zone and doesn’t feel zones well.

You can see he just wants to track guys... not watch over a zone.

Unfortunately you can't do that in today's NFL. There's too much bunch formation, rub route, man-beater stuff to ever play purely that way again.

You have to be able to disguise things.