Fire Freddie

mtmmike

12 hours ago, Hukos said:

Ron was basically maxed out in Carolina. I'm a Falcons fan, so I've seen quite a bit of Panthers games. The Panthers are the classic "good, competent team you respect, but you don't fear." In the NFL, you want to be feared. If you aren't feared, it's just a nice way of saying that you're mediocre. They were never going to be relevant under Ron Rivera ever again.

You say he's successful, but he's only had 3 seasons with a winning record, in about a decade. With a talent like Cam Newton? That's a serious red flag.

I mean at the same time Cam has been broken since the Super Bowl in 2015 so the last 4 years have really been really iffy.

13 hours ago, Hukos said:

Ron was basically maxed out in Carolina. I'm a Falcons fan, so I've seen quite a bit of Panthers games. The Panthers are the classic "good, competent team you respect, but you don't fear." In the NFL, you want to be feared. If you aren't feared, it's just a nice way of saying that you're mediocre. They were never going to be relevant under Ron Rivera ever again.

You say he's successful, but he's only had 3 seasons with a winning record, in about a decade. With a talent like Cam Newton? That's a serious red flag.

You just described another HC with almost an identical record as Ron only that HC doesn't have a SB appearance and is employed by Jerry Jones.

Funny how differently the two are viewed by the masses!

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

You just described another HC with almost an identical record as Ron only that HC doesn't have a SB appearance and is employed by Jerry Jones.

Funny how differently the two are viewed by the masses!

I've described Ron as the NFC South's Jason Garrett before. It's not like either coach is horrendous or anything, but they have their limits and if you want a championship, you're going to have to look elsewhere.

If you want to take a bad team and get them coached up to a wildcard round loss, Ron Rivera is your guy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hukos said:

I've described Ron as the NFC South's Jason Garrett before. It's not like either coach is horrendous or anything, but they have their limits and if you want a championship, you're going to have to look elsewhere.

If you want to take a bad team and get them coached up to a wildcard round loss, Ron Rivera is your guy.

Rivera literally took a 15-1 team to the Super Bowl.

43 minutes ago, mistakey said:

I mean bitonio has more pro bowls and all pro nods than tunsil?

That's fine, but your OL is clearly an issue, and while Bitonio is very good... he's not somebody who is changing the culture, which is the issue in Cleveland. 

You have to find someone who can change the culture in that locker room, and a guy who has been in the culture since day one isn't going to do that. 

The results generally show, when Ron doesn't have an MVP QB, he's a fairly average head coach. The 15-1 season was an outlier, and you're likely not replicating that ever again - even if you gave Ron a team stacked with all-stars.

When fans of the team celebrate a dude getting fired, I think it's something you should pay attention to, it's not for no reason. It's why I don't like Mike McCarthy very much because of how Packers fans hate him.

21 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

That's usually how Super Bowls work. [Insert QB] was playing out of his mind.

is that supposed to be a justification for Rivera being some incredible coach or something? 2011, 2012, 2014, and 2016 the Panthers were mediocre under his watch. Even the other good seasons, 2013 and 2017, the panthers went one and done. The Panthers did win a playoff game in 2014, but against a team that didn't have even a replacement level starting QB. I'm willing to let 2018 and 2019 slide due to injuries, but the rest of his resume doesn't impress me. The median for Rivera strikes me as vaguely competent yet unimpressive. You're not going to win a championship like that unless you seriously believe you can replicate the 2015 Panthers season one more time.

10 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

He would command respect from all players which I think is his biggest upside and provide stability so we can quit the clown show in every press conference 

The other name dropped was that Josh McDaniels would be 'very interested' if the Browns job came available. Not sure how I feel about him compared to the established tack record of Rivera or McCarthey

I'm taking Josh over either of the other two in a heartbeat honestly.

1 hour ago, Hukos said:

Cam Newton was playing out of his mind that season.

There's a reason panthers fans literally celebrated him getting fired.

Almost every fan cheers at a firing made by their team. But the truth is that the grass isn't always greener in the pasture beyond. 

Edited by Duluther
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, braylon said:

I'm taking Josh over either of the other two in a heartbeat honestly.

How so? The only thing I remember about JD is that when he got his shot (like all other BBs coaches) is he went to Denver--traded away their 2 best players (Cutler, BMarshall) and went 8-8 and then followed it up by going 4-12 before getting fired.

I guess I could thank him for that 4-12 record because it gave the Broncos Von Miller.

3 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

How so? The only thing I remember about JD is that when he got his shot (like all other BBs coaches) is he went to Denver--traded away their 2 best players (Cutler, BMarshall) and went 8-8 and then followed it up by going 4-12 before getting fired.

I guess I could thank him for that 4-12 record because it gave the Broncos Von Miller.

I'll take a young guy I consider to have a creative offensive mind over a guy who has proven to be an extremely average head coach. I wouldn't blame someone for wanting to take the known quantity in one of the others, but I'd be willing to take what I know is a risk on Josh McDaniels.